PDA

View Full Version : NFL week 5, the good the bad and the ugly

gueli
10-12-2009, 11:57 PM
So how did your team do this week ?

Jets-

The Good- Sanchez didn't give the game away

The Bad- The defense did

The ugly- Yes Pagan, Miami wins (again). They ran well against us, we ran well against them. But the Wildcat overcame our D in the last seconds, so my hats off to the winners.

And now I really, really HATE them. Urrgghhhh

Go jets...:number1:

jerrywilborn
10-13-2009, 09:07 AM
I wonder if Rex Ryan still has total faith in his methods like he did after week 3.

Ian
10-13-2009, 11:30 AM
The Good:

Another win for the Eagles this week and a solid thumping at that ... 31-14 over the Bucs.

The Bad:

Once again it was against a bad team, so I'm not sure how much it means.

The Ugly:

It was a very sloppy game with way too many Eagles penalities. Gotta get that squared away before we start playing good teams otherwise this will be a very looooooooooong season.

Pagan
10-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Dolphins:

The Good: They ran the ball just like I knew they would. Rex Ryan can crow all about his schemes, but he doesn't have the personnel. Miami's offense is bigger, stronger and faster than the Jets defense. This was proven last night. The O line was blowing the Jets D line off the ball and pancaking them on almost every play.

Also, Chad Henne came into his own last night. 20 of 26 for 241 yards and 2 TDs, and showing the rest of the NFL that he's not Pennington, and anyone playing the Dolphins now has to worry about the deep ball.

The Bad: Special teams again. They Dolphins kept giving the Jets great starting field position. That has to stop. So do costly penalties, and I'm not talking about the "phantom interference" calls.

The Ugly: Sorry gueli but this has to be said...the classlessness of the Jets. Rex Ryan's postgame interview was pathetic. No, the Dolphins didn't beat the Jets, the Jets beat themselves. Giving NO credit to Chad Henne, only saying "We made him look like Dan Marino." No, Peter Griffin...he made those throws himself.

Add Calvin Pace to the mix, in a postgame tirade he says: "I'm going to be honest, I can't respect that stuff. All that Wildcat. Because we're in the NFL, man. If you're out there running that nonsense, it's junk. They got us today but we'll see them again and we'll have something for them. I guess you have to give them credit but the defense lost the game."

Amazing huh? The Dolphins running the wildcat is "nonsense" and a "gimmick". Wow Calvin, you're right. They should stop doing that "gimmicK' and instead run two fake punts when the offense stalls, right Einstein?

Then he goes on to call Chad Henne a "second year clown quarterback." Classy Calvin, classy.

Lizzy
10-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Pagan you beat me to it! LOL

So I will just add mine simply -

The Good- Henne (Didn't I say last week that Pennington might just have been our problem?)

The Bad- The fact that I picked against Miami in this game for the Football fun :blush:

The Ugly- I am going to have to agree with Pagan on the Jets being the ugly part of the game. Poor sportsmanship!

Ian
10-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Look give the Jets a break ... if I lost to the lowly Dolphins I'd be pretty depressed, too!!

Donald A
10-13-2009, 06:38 PM
The Good: The Browns won
The Bad: They won without scoring a TD
The Ugly: They are still the Cleveland Browns

Ian
10-13-2009, 08:21 PM
The Good: The Browns won
The Bad: They won without scoring a TD
The Ugly: They are still the Cleveland BrownsEven more amazing, they won a game in which their QB went 2 for 17 ... 2?? :confused:

JPL
10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
THE GOOD: GMEN 5-0

THE BAD: Dallas won

THE UGLY: Raiders

Pagan
10-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Look give the Jets a break ... if I lost to the lowly Dolphins I'd be pretty depressed, too!!

Keep calling them lowly...that's what the Jet fans did. :razz:

Too bad we don't play the Feebles. Would be nice to see Ricky blasting his way through some green and silver dead birds.

gueli
10-14-2009, 12:39 AM

Too bad we don't play the Feebles. Would be nice to see Ricky blasting his way through some green and silver dead birds.

Ok, we got beat.
our d let us down.
the wildcat is a very viable offensive attack plan, and with ronnie brown and rickey williams it allows the fish to have their best players on the field. There were a number of times that the jet D stopped them, especially ronnie brown, but then rickey williams took over.
I give them full credit. they are a solid running team whose passing game compliments that run. Chad henne should only get better (he had problems with the intermediate throws, but overall looked good).
The Jets D could not stop them, especially when it counted.
Miami ran for 151 yards and passed for 262 yards
The Jets ran for 138 yards and had 171 through the air. Simply put they beat us.
Now i will not make any excuses for the coach.
I saw a number of cheap shots from both sides.
You can call us classless if you choose- but its not like your team has never had a problem showing class (dripping sarcasm)...:goodbad:
Again, I am not worried about the fish's running game. It is something magnificent.:thumbsup:
We shall see how the rest of the season playes out.
I still like the green Koolaid...I still like rex, but I imagine he will make many fans angry with his up front, brash, over the top style.

J...E...T...S win loose die or tie, I am still with them...:D

PS where, if ever have I ever said the dolphins were lowly ?

gueli
10-14-2009, 02:42 AM
Dolphins:

The Ugly: Sorry gueli but this has to be said...the classlessness of the Jets. Rex Ryan's postgame interview was pathetic. No, the Dolphins didn't beat the Jets, the Jets beat themselves. Giving NO credit to Chad Henne, only saying "We made him look like Dan Marino." No, Peter Griffin...he made those throws himself.

:confused:
I just watched the rex's postgame news conference- He said that it was HIS coaching that failed, he said that his D didn't get the job done, he did say "we made chad henne look like marino", but he also said give credit to the dolphins offense...
did you only hear the parts you wanted too?
What I heard (see the nfl website,the post game press conference is there), was the coach honestly saying what he was feeling.
In wins or losses he was assessing his teams performance, and his own coaching. He gave credit to the dolphins- so how was he so classless :confused:? (there is a line in there where he says give credit to their offense...)

As far as the players comments, keep in mind, they were quite upset at themselves, and lashing out- perhaps not the best thing to do, but it has been said that immediatly after a huge win or loss, you sometimes have a tremendous release of emotions.

But my question is - what did rex say that was so wrong or disrespectful. He compared your QB to marino...and yes he was putting the blame on himself and his d. what was so classless about that ? He was not saying that the dolphins didn't beat them, he did not say that the jets beat themselves- HE took the blame for not preparing his team. Which is another way of saying" I got out coached".

I have never seen his postgame comments focus on the other team- he asses the NYJets.
so whats the deal ?

PS - peter griffin is a lot funnier then rex- now no need to make fat guy jokes here...

Pagan
10-14-2009, 09:33 AM
PS where, if ever have I ever said the dolphins were lowly ?
Don't take things personally bro. I said Jets fans in general, not you. Go take a stroll over to the Jetsnation message board and read some of the things being said. You'll see what I mean. ;)

As for Rex Ryan, I read the transcript of the interview he gave, and I stand corrected. I guess ESPN just showed clips that could have been taken out of context.

As for Pace though, I stand firm. Classless.

Ian
10-14-2009, 09:59 AM

Philadelphia Eagles Since 2000

Winning Percentage - .639
Playoff Appearances - 7
Championship Game Appearances - 5
Super Bowl Appearances - 1

Miami Dolphins Since 2000

Winning Percentage - .500
Playoff Appearances - 3
Championship Game Appearances - ZERO
Super Bowl Appearances - ZERO

Ummm yeah ... bring on the Fish ...

Pagan
10-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Wow Ian...bringing up the past. I didn't know we were doing that!

Heck if you want, I can delve into the past also and bring up the two Dolphins superbowl wins and the perfect season and compare them to the Eagles superbowl victo......um.....nevermind. :razz:

Pagan
10-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Ya know what...let's indeed look into the past, shall we?

Since the Dolphins came into the league in 1966.

Miami Dolphins:

Superbowl Championships: 2
Superbowl Appearances: 5
AFC Championship Games: 7
Record in Championship Games: 5-2
Division Championships: 13
Playoff Appearances: 22
Playoff Record: 20-20

Philadelphia Eagles:

Superbowl Championships: Um....NONE.
Superbowl Appearances: Um....TWO
NFC Championship Games: 6
Record in Championship Games: 2-4
Division Championships: 11
Playoff Appearances: 21
Playoff Record: 20-18

What's hilarious is that you state the Eagles have played 5 NFC Championship games since 2000, only amplifying the fact that in the THIRTY FOUR YEARS prior to that, they made it to the game ONCE. LOL

But all in all....Yawn. It means absolutely nothing right now.

But if you truly think the Eagles could stop the Miami ground game, I need to know what you're drinking and where I can buy some. :)

But hey, maybe a miracle will happen and you'll get past the Giants this year and make the bowl....and poor widdle Donovan can has a tummy ache again. :razz:

The Reservoir Dog
10-14-2009, 11:58 AM
My Raiders

The Good: Surely it can't get any worse :(

The Bad: How long have you got?

The Ugly: I don't want to talk about it anymore. :sob:

Am I surprised? No!

#1donaldfan
10-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Steelers

Good ... we won

Bad ... we almost gave it up AGAIN.... well could have anyway

Ugly .... it's gonna get that way....

Uglier ..... the Bronco's are WHAT ???

Ian
10-14-2009, 01:16 PM
But if you truly think the Eagles could stop the Miami ground game, I need to know what you're drinking and where I can buy some.The Eagles have 4th best run defense in the NFL? That might have something to do with it.

And if you really want to break it down, the Dolphins rushing attack might be slightly overrated since they've played:
Atlanta - 24th ranked rush defense in the NFL
Indianapolis - 14th ranked rush defense in the NFL
San Diego - 27th ranked rush defense in the NFL
Buffalo - 29th ranked rush defense in the NFL
N.Y. Jets - 19th ranked rush defense in the NFL
Although in the interest of full disclosure, the Eagles really haven't played any rushing powerhouses outside of New Orleans (ranked #2 in rushing). The rest of the teams they played are all ranked in the bottom 3rd of the NFL.

As far as the historical stats go, I looked at the last nine years only because that time frame might actually be relevant to the current situation?? What happened 40 years ago means doodly.

In looking only at performance in this decade, odds are good you have some level of consistency in terms of current coaches, players, offensive and defensive schemes, impact of draft picks, etc.

You can't possibly think that what the Dolphins did in 1974 is relevant to today, but since the Eagles accomplished all of those things under their current coaching staff and ownership it most decidedly is relevant to current team performance.

I would have thought that would be obvious, but I guess not. :razz:

Pagan
10-14-2009, 01:51 PM
The Eagles have 4th best run defense in the NFL? That might have something to do with it.
Wow...must be nice living in the wonderful world of NOT.

The Eagles are ranked 13th, Homer.

And if you really want to break it down, the Dolphins rushing attack might be slightly overrated since they've played:
Atlanta - 24th ranked rush defense in the NFL
Indianapolis - 14th ranked rush defense in the NFL
San Diego - 27th ranked rush defense in the NFL
Buffalo - 29th ranked rush defense in the NFL
N.Y. Jets - 19th ranked rush defense in the NFL

Well now Ian old chap. If you put....oh, I don't know...SOME thought into it, maybe those rankings got that way in some part due to the Dolphins piling up 200 yards a game against those teams?

And until last week, pretty much EVERYONE was raving about the Jets defense. Before they pounded the Jets run D, it was ranked 5th.

As far as the historical stats go, I looked at the last nine years only because that time frame might actually be relevant to the current situation?? What happened 40 years ago means doodly.
So does what happened 9 years ago. In fact, so does what happened three years ago, as this is almost an entirely different Dolphins team AND coaching staff.

But again...that'd require a little thought on your part. ;)

In looking only at performance in this decade, odds are good you have some level of consistency in terms of current coaches, players, offensive and defensive schemes, impact of draft picks, etc.
See above, Sherlock.

You can't possibly think that what the Dolphins did in 1974 is relevant to today, but since the Eagles accomplished all of those things under their current coaching staff and ownership it most decidedly is relevant to current team performance.
One mo' time! See above.

I would have thought that would be obvious, but I guess not. :razz:
Physician, heal thyself.

Nah...on second thought...:razz:

Ian
10-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Crud! Looked at pass defense by mistake!!

Ya got me there ... 13th it is!

Greenlawler
10-14-2009, 04:55 PM
The Once Formidable Titans....

The Good: The Draft, at least we won't be picking near the bottom.

The Bad: Two rookie cornerbacks shreded by Peyton, no end in sight as the Titans play the Patriots in NE next week. 0-6 for a solid Super Bowl Contender, my how fortunes change.

The Ugly: Javon Kearse was incactive Sunday Night. He did not attend the game. This has caused a little bit of a stir here.

gueli
10-15-2009, 12:22 AM
As for Rex Ryan, I read the transcript of the interview he gave, and I stand corrected.
As for Pace though, I stand firm. Classless.

"I said some things, and I definitely should've probably thought about it and rephrased it a little bit," Pace said. "That being said, I respect the Dolphins and I respect their team because they beat us. It's not like they went out there and stole the game from us."

a little backpeddiling from pace, as I have described, the frustration after the loss. Some people have an emotional release after such a strenuous task.
Also take note of chris Jenkins comments about the dolphins shutting up some of the Jet loudmouths.

And pagan, thanks for looking back at the transcrips...:mickey:

Pagan
10-15-2009, 10:45 AM
"I said some things, and I definitely should've probably thought about it and rephrased it a little bit," Pace said. "That being said, I respect the Dolphins and I respect their team because they beat us. It's not like they went out there and stole the game from us."

a little backpeddiling from pace, as I have described, the frustration after the loss. Some people have an emotional release after such a strenuous task.
Also take note of chris Jenkins comments about the dolphins shutting up some of the Jet loudmouths.

And pagan, thanks for looking back at the transcrips...:mickey:
I understand the emotional outbursts bro. The bad things for you guys is that by calling Henne a "clown", he gave the Dolphins ALOT of motivation. I was thinking you guys would have the edge based on the revenge factor going into the second game. Now I'm not so sure.

Quote of the year came from Channing Crowder though. When he was told about Pace calling the wildcat "nonsense" he replied:

"They nonsensed their {bleep} all the way up and down the field."

You have to admit, that was a great comeback. :razz:

gueli
10-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Quote of the year came from Channing Crowder though. When he was told about Pace calling the wildcat "nonsense" he replied:

"They nonsensed their {bleep} all the way up and down the field."

You have to admit, that was a great comeback. :razz:

Agree it was a great comeback. :thumbsup:
not the quote of the year (personally I like rex's comment concerning channing- If he wants to come looking for me, I will be there. I will be wearing a white Jersey with #77 on it " which is Kris Jenkins number- :D

Pagan
10-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Agree it was a great comeback. :thumbsup:
not the quote of the year (personally I like rex's comment concerning channing- If he wants to come looking for me, I will be there. I will be wearing a white Jersey with #77 on it " which is Kris Jenkins number- :D
I remember when Rex said "I've walked over tougher guys going to a fight than Channing Crowder."

Not too many people know that he was misquoted. What he REALLY said was "I've walked over tougher guys going to a BUFFET than Channing Crowder."

:razz:

indytraveler
10-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Colts:

Good - Whuppin the Titans on Sunday night in primetime

Bad - Running game not getting 100+ yds.

Ugly - Bye week this week NO GAME