PDA

View Full Version : Disney gift card instead of dining plan

jeffbdw
10-12-2009, 06:25 PM
My family is accompanying me to a convention at WDW in a few weeks. Since we got a nice discount room only rate for the convention, we cant get the dining plan. I was considering buying a $500 disney gift card and using that for our meals. That way the money is already spent and it would feel more like the dining plan. My questions are: a) can I buy one at the resort upon arrival? Or, should I pre-order one? B) Is this a dumb idea? C) Are those cards accepted at all of the restaurants?
Any help would be appreciated. I'm just trying to pre-budget or pre-spend the money, so that I don't keep getting sticker shock while we are down there.

Seasonscraps
10-12-2009, 07:27 PM
I hate to be really blunt here....but I think it's a terrible idea to buy a gift card as a means of saving/paying for your meals.

First, the money is gone no matter what. If you don't spend $500 on meals, you'll need to buy something else to get your money's worth. Second, it would serve you better to put the money in a savings account where you can earn a little interest. It may not add up to much but it's better then nothing. Third, since you are asking about buying the gift card at the resort, you already did the hard part - saved it up!! :thumbsup:

Maybe you can go through the menus and budget your meals and then put that amount in daily envelopes to use while you are away. There are menus posted in Info Central. You could keep the excess cash in the room safe.

Fangorn
10-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Not a dumb idea at all. We have done this more than once, and it works very well. I'm not aware of any restaurant that does not accept the Disney Gift Card. We've always purchased the card at our local Disney Store prior to leaving home, but they can be purchased at the gift shop at your resort or at any other gift shop on property.

The nice thing is that the card can also be used for other miscellaneous purchases if you want.

Steve
:mickey:

JohnnyNovo
10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Upon check in have the cast member put the $500 credit on your Key to the World Card (room key). That would be the easiest. Everyday when you return, just go to the front desk and have them print a activity sheet on your card. This way, if you dont spend the $500, you can have it refunded upon checkout.

BowTie7
10-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Just be very careful not to misplace it. Gift cards are generally not replaced if lost or stolen (you may wish to check on Disney's policy)

DizneyRox
10-13-2009, 09:21 AM
I had a ton of problems using VISA gift card for payment at tble service locations. You are asking about Disney Gift Cards which are different, but I thought I'd mention it.

The problem is, the initial swipe of the card (before you sign) is put in higher than the actual bill amount. This is to lock in any money you might be adding to the bill for the tip. The VISA Gift Cards don't work with that system, ours kept getting rejected and there was a lot more on the card than the cost of our meal.

I never understood he whole prepaying concpet much myself, but a lot of poeple do t. I just charge everything to my points card and pay it off each month. If I can't pay it off, I don't charge it.

BugeyedMuggy
10-13-2009, 09:45 AM
I like the idea of a gift card over the DDP. There is just too much food to eat on the DDP & you are limited now to no app & dessert is incl. I would rather skip dessert . This way you get exactly what you want to eat & where. The only way I woud take the DDP is if they offer it for free.

DizNee143
10-13-2009, 11:42 AM
My questions are: a) can I buy one at the resort upon arrival? Or, should I pre-order one? B) Is this a dumb idea? C) Are those cards accepted at all of the restaurants?
Any help would be appreciated. I'm just trying to pre-budget or pre-spend the money, so that I don't keep getting sticker shock while we are down there.

sounds like a great idea..that way you dont have to stick to getting an entree and dessert..you can get what you actually want..
but i really like this idea...
you can purchase giftcards all through disney world..even at the disney store if you have one in your area where you live..i have never had trouble using a giftcard at a disney restuarant!!:mickey:

Goofy4TheWorld
10-13-2009, 12:30 PM
If I were going to take the gift card route, I would charge all of my meals to my room account, and then pay the room account off using the gift card(s). That way, you avoid any problems with disputing (or just checking on) charges made on the gift card, you can resolve those issues with the front desk BEFORE you swipe the gift card through.

ajpa
10-13-2009, 12:50 PM
The resort lets you pre-load an amount to charge to your room, so it would work the same way, imo.
We then pick a credit card to pay that based on which is doing the best rewards program.

I don't have a Disney Visa though-- does it give you any rewards/perks useful in this situation?

squijee
10-16-2009, 11:43 AM
I never thought about having the money put on our room key. Is it accepted everywhere at WDW? Do we have to do anything special when paying for a meal?

JohnnyNovo
10-16-2009, 01:46 PM
I believe it is accepted in all the restraunts and gift shops. Im not sure sbout downtown disney.

Mysttree
10-16-2009, 07:03 PM
We've never had any trouble using the 'room card' method anywhere on Disney property.
IMHO that sounds like the best option so far.
We aren't using the DDP either & plan on doing the same thing.
The warning of losing a gift card vs. using your 'key to the world' card are very valid. Being able to go to guest services to resolve any issues appeals to me rather than simply losing a high value gift card.
Have a great time.

KylesMom
10-16-2009, 11:19 PM
We've never had any trouble using the 'room card' method anywhere on Disney property.
I agree, this is probably both the safest and the easiest method. If your room key is lost or stolen, it can be replaced easily - not so much for a gift card.