PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon Trip

Ischyros
10-11-2009, 09:33 PM
So my fiancee and I have decided to head to Orlando for our honeymoon next July. Anyone been there on their honeymoon? Any suggestions? We aren't staying on property and will probably be spending four days trying to visit each park. I've read that we should buy and wear the groom and bride mickey ears hat but I can't imagine that would get us anything special other than maybe the occasional "congratulations". So if anyone had any suggestions to pass along, that would be great!

savafan
10-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I'll be there for my honeymoon in January, so I can let you know after that. :mickey:

SBETigg
10-11-2009, 11:23 PM
I honeymooned there before they had bride and groom ears, so I can't verify they get you anything beyond the occasional best wishes. Though I do know that you might get complimentary desserts or extras. We stayed on property, which I highly recommend. It was just so much more magical for us to be enveloped in the WDW bubble away from it all, vs leaving and being constantly reminded of the real life world outside the world. But you'll have a wonderful time either way.

Four days really gives you just enough time to enjoy the can't miss attractions in each park. If you did end up with extra time, there is much to recommend. You might look at Info Central: Romance at WDW (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/adults/romance.asp) for some starter suggestions.

epceddie
10-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Go to Guest Relations at the parks and ask for Just Married Buttons. We honeymooned at WDW in October of 2007 and we got free fast passes from cast members, free sodas and a couple of free desserts. Everybody was really nice to us!
Also look into going on a carriage ride at Port Orleans or Fort Wilderness. You can bring along a bottle of champagne and it's very romantic.

seanyred
10-12-2009, 07:08 AM
We honeymooned for 18 Days at WDW. My DW had just married personalized shirts made from the Disney store website. We got extra attention from characters and a free pretzel from one of the stands. I never expected anything free so it was kinda nice.

Ischyros
10-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the replies! We're staying off property because my parents gave us a week of their time share as a wedding gift. So with saving money there, we can splurge elsewhere! We'll have 6 full days but we'd like to go to Universal as well. Definitely sounds like it might be worth it to at least let people know we're on our honeymoon.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-12-2009, 09:25 PM
We honeymooned at WDW in 2000. We too stayed off property because we owned a timeshare and traded into a surrounding area timeshare. Here is my :twocents: :

1. Get something that tells everyone you are on your honeymoon. Whether button, hat or t-shirt.

2. You can stll feel the magic if you stay off property, however, it was hard to indulge when we had to drive home after the end of a romantic dinner and evening. Would have been much easier if we could have just jumped on a bus or boat or monorail and let Mickey be our designated driver.

3. If you make any ADR's, which I highly recommend, make sure to add that you are on your honeymoon. We always got the best seats in the house no matter where we ate.

4. We were there for 7 days but, wished we would have stayed longer just to enjoy the parks at a more leisurely pace. We were so excited to be married and at Disney that we were exhausted when we got back home. So, take the time to rest... after all, you just got married AND pulled off one of the most stressful lifetime events. You always have anniversaries to come back!

5. Our villa had a kitchen and 3 bedrooms. I mean really, am I going to cook on my honeymoon? heehee I think the most we ever used the kitchen for was to keep my leftover cheesecake and creme brulee cold.

SBETigg
10-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Having the extra money to spend on other things besides accommodations will help make the honeymoon special, too. You might want to look into an extra special dinner at Victoria and Albert's, California Grill, or Narcoossee's (or any of the Signature dining locations). It's also fun to take an afternoon to rent water sprites and zip around the lagoon, or maybe have a carriage ride around Fort Wilderness or Port Orleans. The downtime can be as good as the running around parks time. But you might have enough fun in the parks that you don't need extras. I also enjoy World Showcase for shopping and sampling food and drinks. Best wishes for a happy honeymoon!

Ischyros
10-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks again for the extra advice! We will have a week between our wedding and when we leave for the honeymoon. I'm planning to take off work and just relax for that week. I don't know if the future Mrs will or not. But either way, it will be nice to have a week of downtime to unwind and spend together before even leaving for the honeymoon. Definitely have to look into a way to let people know we're on out honeymoon somehow. Either way, it'll be fun!

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-13-2009, 08:21 PM
DH and I honeymooned at Disney, and despite my objections, we wore the bride and groom ears all week.

It was great! CM's, other guests told us congrats, we got some special seats at restaurants, special "phone calls" and certificates at Epcot, and CRT glasses.

BUT, the best "perk" of the whole week was the free Dole Whips :thumbsup:

Although nothing was of great value, it all came together to make our honeymoon that bit more magical :mickey:

disneydeb
10-14-2009, 07:28 AM
My youngest daughter and her new husband will be there October 26 through November 2, on their honeymoon.
They have the ears to wear and they had shirts made to let everyone know they were just married.

The wedding is October 24--- VERY SOON!
:groom: :bride:

parrothed26
10-14-2009, 08:12 AM
My wife and I honeymooned there in august. We wore the just married pins daily but only the hats for one day. Everyone was extra nice constantly offering congratulations and we recieved many free perks, by far the best was when a cast member took us out of line for the haunted mansion and gave us a private tour of the Stretching Room before letting us on to the ride ahead of everyone. Very Cool! they really go all out to make it special for you.

BraddyB
10-14-2009, 11:12 AM
We were there on our honeymoon last October and we were the just married pins. We had the bride and groom ears but never wore them. My wife found a pair of sequin minnie ears more appealing and I just opted not to wear any ears.

The one thing we noticed was it seemed that if you didnt expect something, you got some extra attention. We stopped to grab drinks in AK and we were told the drinks were on the house, congrats.

You will also see some people on their honeymoon expecting and begging for free anything they can get. They can leave a sour taste in your mouth, especially when they are infront of you waiting for a ride and bragging about everything they got.

Best thing we got on our honeymoon you couldnt put a price on........We were on the monorail riding from the Grand Floridian back to the MK and a family followed us on. They basically were what we wanted to be in ten years.

The father said to us.....You know I have seen alot of couples here on their honeymoons, but I can honestly say you guys look happy. Alot of the others just seem to be here going through the motions or look miserable. As long as you guys stay happy, everything else will fall into place and you will have a wonderful life together

That was worth more than anything free Disney can give you

Ischyros
10-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Lots of good advice here! Thanks! We certainly won't be expecting anything extra. We aren't those types of people. In fact, I'd probably have to beg my fiancee to even wear anything saying we just got married! Hmmm, might be some subtle message in there. lol

Mysttree
10-22-2009, 09:26 PM
As many others before us...we also honeymoon'd at WDW. We didn't wear the hats or pins, just being there together was magical enough for us. Do what you both enjoy, if that's rides, great food, or simply walking around holding hands :party:
Just celebrate your love & each other! We are going back in Jan. to celebrate our 15th anniversary, and WDW is still our 'happy place'.
Remember to take care of each other & never take your relationship forgranted...and you will live the 'happily ever after'!
Congrats!

brewcrew26
10-24-2009, 10:44 AM
DH and I honeymoon April '08. We wore the buttons - our hotel had them for us at check in. We made sure to tell everyone when we made our reservations that we were celebrating something special.

When we walked around the hotel with the buttons on we were in the gift shop - we received an autographed picture of Mickey and Minnie in wedding outfits.

We received lots of congratulations everywhere we went. On EE a CM told us to wait and he gave us a front row seat on the ride (now, I won't ride anywhere but the front). Also, got our handful of free desserts and treats. We did a special dinner at Artist Point. The manager and chef came out to talk with us. They gave us a personalized menu, a complimentary appetizer, champagne toast and dessert.

I also went to the Chapeau on Main Street and made a personalized bride ears hat. It was a white beanie with pearlized ears and then I placed blingy hearts and flowers on it and a Minnie and Mickey bride and groom patch. On the back I had "bride" stitched on in pink. I received so many comments on it! It's the best souvenir of the trip (besides have a great honeymoon!)

Just be sure to take lots of pictures with each other. We got back and were so busy taking pictures of the sights, we forgot to take pictures together. We only have three pictures of both of us from our honeymoon. Stop at one of the photographers in the parks and have them take photos, even if its with your own camera. Make lots of memories and enjoy your trip!!