PDA

View Full Version : 1st Visit and Grand Gathering - Day 2

Paiges
10-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Day 2 – Sunday, Sept. 13

Cast: Me (41), DH (40), DD (9),DD (8), DS (6), and 2 cousins – a total of 33 various family and friends will join us during the week. Our Grand Gathering name is ‘Flame Cola Cows’ (an anagram based on last names). Kathy at MJ is an honorary member. She booked most of us and we all loved her.

Overview: We woke up around 8:15 without an alarm. When I told DS about falling on him the night before, he had no recollection of it, but wanted to know if he was still breathing. Must be related to his father. We ate breakfast in the room, put a mousekeeping tip out, and then headed to the bus stop to wait for the MK bus. We met up with 2 cousins at the MK entrance, got a few pics, then split up. We saw Goofy and Pluto right away when we arrived. We got autographs on the kids’ hats (a great Intercot tip! They also put TPs on their hats) and photos. We grabbed a SplM FP, then headed to BTMR and rode a couple of times. We grabbed some fountain drinks on the DDP (they were huge! So we decided to get one and split it 3 ways for the kids the next time around). Then we watched Country Bear Jamboree, where my favorite part was the song about the blood. Too funny. Then we rode SplM. DD and I tried to be sneaky, because I had read which side to sit on if you do not want to get wet – but I got the sides mixed up and we both ended up with VERY wet pants – and as it was raining fairly hard while we rode, all of us were wet on top. DD was NOT happy about the wet pants and wanted to go back to the resort – now. But we managed to get her to hang in there. We grabbed lunch – met the cousins – and oh, the pressure to order when you are new to the DDP and there are 250 people in line behind you!

Then we did PotC, HoP, HM, TTA, buzz lightyear 2x, got a Buzz Lightyear autograph (or should I say stamp?). The most we waited at MK was maybe 10 minutes. We basically walked onto all the rides, with short waits once we got up to the loading areas. On departure, we thought we could ride the monorail to the TTC, then grab a bus to our resort. That didn’t work out since there are not buses to resorts from TTC, so we monorailed to Epcot and caught a bus to POR.

We had a short swim at the pool right near our room at POR. Then we headed to DHS, where we had 7:15 dinner reservations at 50’s PT for 7. It was pouring rain when we got to DHS, so we got a little wet around our ponchos. After dinner, which took a long time (we walked out about 9:15), we headed to the bus stop to try and make a fairly decent bedtime. DHS combines buses to POR and POFQ, and our line stretched back past at least 4 other resorts. When we realized the line length, we just headed right back in and watched the 10 pm Fantasmic! show. We hadn’t planned on staying so late, but the show was wonderful and I am glad things worked out that way. I loved the way the villains morphed into one another. DS bought a stuffed magic Mickey, which turned out to be the beginning of his stuffed Mickey collection. After Fantasmic!, we had a short wait for a bus, and were welcomed home with bunny towels and a toothbrush holder made from washcloths. We made it to bed at 11:30. I didn’t even consider turning on the alarm.

Food: Lunch was at Pecos Bills in MK. I had a burger and fries, and thought they were OK but not great. I think I am remembering correctly that the only choices for kids were a burger or a salad, and my kids wanted neither, so I ended up eating a kids burger and getting a different adult entrée for the kids to share. It is nice that the kids meals have healthy choices, like grapes. I had some for lunch and they were good!

We arrived at 50’s PT at 7:05 for a 7:15 dinner ressie for 7. It was pouring rain, so everyone at DHS was crowded under the 50’s PT awning, but DH managed to make his way through and check us in. We all made our way inside, and were finally seated at 7:45. I thought the atmosphere was great, but my DH did not feel the same charm that I did. Our server was very understated – he reminded me of Kevin Kline in a very subdued movie role – and didn’t joke with us a lot but did have a great ‘grandpa’ line for our cousin that provided some fun. I had the meatloaf, green beans, and I traded DH my mashed potatoes for his scalloped. I thought the meatloaf was OK, but the green beans and scalloped potatoes were great. The kids had chicken noodle soup which they all devoured. It was the perfect food for a rainy day. I had a brownie sundae for dessert, and it was huge! The main dish portions were not large enough to share, in my opinion. The kids got make your own sundaes and enjoyed them. Dinner did take a looong time. I didn't expect to spend this much time on dinners, but it did feel good to sit down.

I tried a Mickey bar today and they are as good as everyone on Intercot says they are! Too bad I lost so much chocolate on the ground as it melted.

Disappointments: DH left his sunglasses in HoP and had to wait through the next show to get them back. :( But he did get them back, and the rest of us watched a show outside the castle while we waited, so it turned out to not be a disappointment, really.

Magical Moments: When we left BTMR after our first ride, the kids were gung ho to ride again. They plunged ahead, with DH and I a few steps behind. We realized the kids had turned to go up the line, and we joked that we were glad that they knew where they were going, because we didn’t. But when we got to the head of the line, it turned out to be an exit after all. We told the kids to come on, we came up an exit on accident - but the CM said to come on in, he put us in the wheelchair loading area to wait, and then loaded us on the next ride.:mickey:

faline
10-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Big Al has long been a favorite! It's an old country-western song and since my parents were fans, I'd heard the song long before I ever saw Big Al at the Country Bears!

Gone are the days when the Ticket and Transportation Center truly was the Transporation hub from where you could go almost anywhere you wanted in Disney World! I sort of miss those days!

Glad to hear the sunglasses were found! And you made the best out of a difficult situation and, as a result, got to see Fantasmic!

Fun day!

nicster
10-12-2009, 11:31 AM
:mickey:You got a lot done in a single day! I agree with you about the ts resturants taking a lot of park time. We are thinking of going with the quick service plan or oop instead next time.

KylesMom
10-12-2009, 03:25 PM
The most we waited at MK was maybe 10 minutes. We basically walked onto all the rides, with short waits once we got up to the loading areas. Don't you just love it when everything falls into place like that? Good idea for a swim in the afternoon, even though it took you a bit to get back to your resort!

I've been pestering my DH to try 50's this next trip (he's apprehensive about the CM interaction :D), but two hours of waiting and dining time in a non-buffet restaurant certainly has me concerned. Then again, we've found that rain has a strange way of delaying TS seating, as so many folks linger longer than usual on their meals. Hopefully you found it worth the time you spent there.

Great idea to check out the 10pm show of Fantasmic - glad everything worked out & you didn't have to wait an hour for a bus back home! :mickey:

P.S. - Trust me on the Mickey Bar thing - you just have to practice with enough of them so that the chocolate doesn't hit the ground!:bar:

BluewaterBrad
10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
What a awesome day!! You have got me hooked!! We are leaving for the world in 14 days!! More Please!!:mickey:

pdrlkr
10-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the Report! :balloon:

Paiges
10-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Big Al has long been a favorite! It's an old country-western song and since my parents were fans, I'd heard the song long before I ever saw Big Al at the Country Bears!

I like old country too - who sings the song and what is it called, do you know?

DizNee143
10-19-2009, 10:53 AM
sounds like another nice day! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks

faline
10-29-2009, 11:55 AM

I like old country too - who sings the song and what is it called, do you know?

Tex Ritter who is the father of the late John Ritter. The song is called aptly enough, Blood on the Saddle.