PDA

View Full Version : Cousin's question - Car or no car?

scooterca42
10-11-2009, 02:15 PM
She and her DH will be down for five days from Oct 22 to 27, and are trying to decide if a car rental is worthwhile. She was getting prices of around 45 from Hotwire, from Orlando airport. Thing is, one day is specially earmarked for Universal Studios, so transport would be needed to that park as well.

So, to decide, more info from anyone who's been in similar circumstances - (DH and I have never used anything but Disney transport)

How much does it cost to park at the parks? They're staying at Coronado Springs, do on-site folks get a break on parking? Any ideas how to get a better rate - would taking ME to the resort then renting from the on-site place for a day be convenient? (cheaper, for sure) And would the bus to Universal work - has anyone taken it? If one rents a car for the whole time, does one get their money's worth?

They're second time visitors and just the two of them - the kiddies are with Granny and Grandpa this trip - so no problems there.

Any assistance would be great!

Wadeace
10-11-2009, 02:50 PM
that all depends on how they want to handle the trip.

for me i would say rent the car for the universal day at least, because depending on how late the decide to stay they might get stranded.
however if they felt that they could work it out within the bus schedule than check out lynx.
http://www.golynx.com/
they have a route that should stop at universal on its way back to central and vise versa i believe its 52 i know the 50 will take them to sea world, and there are other routes as well.

they could also take a taxi, which would get expensive.
however if they wanted to than check out [intercot terms of service] they greater orlando area. they also have cabs parked outside all the parks so hailing one is quite easy.

keep in mind that my opinion is biased because me and my family love the disney transportation system, because we dont feel like driving on vacation. however i do have friends that love to bring there own car so that once they leave the park they can go wherever they want without waiting on a bus. so its up to you which style you prefer. if i remember correctly if you are staying at a disney resort you receive a paper that goes on your dash and that gets you free parking at all the parks.

faline
10-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Personally, I'd probably rent a car for the day I wanted to go to Universal (unless you get a great rate on a rental that it makes it worthwhile to have a vehicle for the whole trip).

Those who are stayng in a Disney resort do not have to pay for parking at the parks.

If considering alternate transportation, I'd suggest Quicksilver Tours (http://www.quicksilver-tours.com/). They're an Intercot sponsor and using them helps support our site. I haven't used them to go to another destination but have used them to travel back and forth to and from MCO and have been pleased with the service offered.