PDA

View Full Version : She Said - He Said Day 7

nicster
10-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Cast:
She (nicster) – 10 years old at WDW. Real world age? Between 50 & death…
He (DH) – 11 years old at WDW. Ditto on real world age.

September 26:

THE PLAN: Typhoon Lagoon – Magic Kingdom – Luau at Poly

Okay, one caveat here. I promised a Big Al story on Day 7. I realize now that it was really on Day 8. So, coming up soon. If you didn’t remember that, just ignore this paragraph.

After a few days of walking endlessly it seems at the parks, we like to take a morning and hit Typhoon to give our legs a break and get a little water therapy. We picked the first weekend day to do that. Usually we’ve gone much sooner than this, but this trip is nothing if not different from our standard WDW vacations.

So we’re thinking that Typhoon is open early. During the summer months, for resort guests, there’s always an EMH starting at 9. So we hit the bus stop early and the DTD bus shows up, but no Typhoon sign. So I go ask. No, they’re shortening the hours the water parks are open. It’s not open until 10, and then it will be available for everyone. Oh well. The best laid plans and all that.

So how to kill an hour? Oh I know. :eat:Have breakfast. What a novel idea. We head over to Old Port Royale. I have a Western Omelet, which would have been better if it had been prepared a little more recently, but was tolerable. I think that they’re so concerned with keeping the food lines moving that they don’t give enough thought to the quality of the food being given out.

My omelet was okay, but I think it was freshly made as opposed to his, which was on a plate waiting for someone to adopt it. They actually had grapefruit juice, which is sometimes hard to get for some reason.

Back to the bus stop, short wait of less than 10, and we’re at Typhoon at 9:55, just as they start letting folks in.

We walked in amid wishes of Happy Anniversary (I never get tired of hearing that!) I love the sights & sounds of Typhoon Lagoon, the increase in volume of the guests when that boom sounds that signals the wave. I really was looking forward to the wave pool, the float down Castaway Creek & just reading in the sunshine. The humidity didn’t seem so bad this day. Was it the fact that we were already wet, or was it a better day??? Who cares, I was in a little piece of heaven.:vacation:

We find a nice seating area and I go out and hit the wave pool. I’m always afraid I’m going to slam into someone and “kill” them, so I prefer to do this before it gets too crowded. And it’s a pretty good thing this time. I don’t realize how loose my bathing suit is, until I find it nearly to my knees after the first wave. Uh, oh. I’ve read the recent “pervert” stories, and I sure don’t want that kind of reputation. So for the next couple of waves, I’ve got a good grip on my swim trunks. I’m glad I brought a different (and better fitting) pair for our second visit here.:blush:

So I go back and we do the lazy river, Castaway Creek. We sit and read, and then back to the wave pool, gripping as I go. Back to Castaway for another circle, more reading and by 2 PM we decide it’s time to go. 4 hours in the sun is more than enough. I had some nice cover over me, so I didn’t charbroil or anything.

Back to the resort, take a nap, and get ready to head over to MK.

I know what a life! We do seem to be hitting the bus stops at just the right time, & everything is going along very nicely.

At the bus stop at 5:17, bus is there after 7 minutes and we’re at the park by 5:40.

We do the RR 1 1/3 times, getting off in Frontierland. We do Pirates, some shopping and head over to Poly for the Luau.:papple:

:lei:The salad course was already on a serving platter on our table for two. The bread is a loaf of pineapple/coconut bread, tasty. The green salad has mandarin slices and a citrus dressing. We ordered our beverages, I asked for the blush wine (included) & some lemonade (no additional charge). Then we were served BBQ ribs, chicken, rice & veggies. The food was piping hot & very good, but felt like a repeat of the food we had eaten when at Whispering Canyon on our tour (see day 5). The desserts were a chocolate mousse thing with a cake center (I was too stuffed to have more than a taste).

We get thru 2 courses of the meal and it starts pouring, I mean buckets. And it just goes on and on and on. Needless to say, they cancel the show and tell us that they’ll be refunding (to us anyway) 1 table service per person. Oh goodie. How do you make a rezzie at this late date? They hand out ponchos and we wait until the rain pretty much stops.

Many people left before the announcement about the credit to our accounts. I wondered if they were informed ahead of time or if they were just going to find it on their accounts at the end of their trips, the only way we knew was that it was announced to the- maybe half full room that was left. The show seemed like it was going to be good, we had seen sort of a pre-show as our meals were coming out. The tables were set up pretty close together, so we could see what was going on at the table right next to us. There were three adorable little girls, all dressed up for their night out with some extended family. They must have been disappointed about the show cancellation, heck, I was! So, we got out the glow in the darks & handed out bracelets. We got some smiles & thanks.

We run to the monorail back to MK and then run to the buses. DW wanted to go into the park, which in retrospect was a good idea….but dumb ole me is ready to end the day. The bus lines are a zoo and you can hardly even fight your way thru to get to our bus line. And when we finally get past the first couple of resort lines, the pavement is flooded. Mind you, it’s not raining now, but it’s like ankle deep.

I saw the horrendous lines for the busses & the rain had pretty much stopped. My thinking was, let’s go and take advantage of the panic & do some rides, they are probably all walk-ons right now. Well, as you know that isn’t the way it worked out. Some guests were walking in the bus lanes to go around the flooded area, because they had strollers or wheelchairs with them. It really is something that should be addressed by the Disney folks.

We get on the third bus. That’s how swamped it was. I give up my seat to a lady and a couple of kids from Mississippi. We head out about 10:30.

We had this bus driver twice this trip. Crawling along the road. Everybody passing including many other Resort buses. Come on! We’re all soaked and want to get back “home”. Back at the resort about 11.

Okay, so not exactly what we planned for the day, and the ending was rant-able (is that a word?). But you know, I’m not at work, and I haven’t even thought about work, so it’s still an okay day.

Rain happens here, we know that. The timing was bad, but we have a story to tell, so not all bad. Next up… Hoop-Dee-Doo.

faline
10-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Sorry the ending of your day was not quite what you planned! It rained the night of our luau as well but they did go on with the show though I suspect they modified the presentation somewhat since they only used the section of the stage that is under cover.

nicster
10-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Sorry the ending of your day was not quite what you planned! It rained the night of our luau as well but they did go on with the show though I suspect they modified the presentation somewhat since they only used the section of the stage that is under cover.
I got the impression that they were waiting to see how the storm was going to go. But, it came down soooo hard they even tarped the band area because the rain was spraying in there as well.

ChipDale
10-11-2009, 11:10 AM
That's a shame that the show was cancelled. Sounds like a relaxing day though! Thanks again for the fun reporting. :mickey:

KylesMom
10-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Fun day at Typhoon Lagoon - would you believe we've never made it to a water park?

I'm disappointed that the Luau was cancelled for you. The same thing happened in June when we were set to be seated - the rain came down so hard they ended up cancelling the show before we even made it to our seats. Bummer for you two!

But you know, I’m not at work, and I haven’t even thought about work, so it’s still an okay day.
Amen to that! :D Thanks for sharing yet another fun day!

vizsla
10-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
10-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the Report! :balloon:

Mickeydream
10-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Too bad that the luau show was cancelled...we saw it 2 years ago and thought it was fun. The time at Typhoon Lagoon sounds so relaxing. Thanks for sharing. :mickey: