PDA

View Full Version : Using i pod touch in wdw??

threeh
10-10-2009, 12:57 PM
I was thinking of bringing my ipod touch to wdw to access email and such. I get computer access thru wi fi. Has anyone done this?? Will it work??
TIA.:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
10-10-2009, 01:11 PM
There is very limtied public wifi throughout Disney and none in the parks. You can get it in places like the Business center and public places of some resorts. The price is $9.95 for a 24hr period or $4.49 for 60 minutes. Here's the link on the site that lays it all out How to Connect (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/computing/howtoconnect.asp)

Note that there is no wifi in guest rooms and no free wifi though some folks have mentioned the possibility of some near Boardwalk. Guest rooms have wired connectivity and the cable is provided in the room.

stitchaholic
10-10-2009, 05:01 PM
the only place i got wifi was outside at CSR at the busstop

tadshome
10-10-2009, 05:14 PM
I was unable to connect to wifi with my ipod touch. I was told that there were a few places but never found any

DisneyPrincess21
10-10-2009, 05:43 PM
That is why I love my iphone! Now on my upcoming trip in December I will finally be able to check my email and update everyone on my myspace so I can make them all jealous j/k :D
i hated in the previous years never being able to get online while in WDW and i refused to pay $10/day for internet, so now with my iphone i can just use my regular cell signal to go online. Not that i have a lot of spare time in WDW but it drives me nuts not being able to "be connected" if i want/need to be.

threeh
10-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Do you think I would be crazy to just bring my router and then I can get wireless in my room. I am a dvc member so I think we get free internet?? :surf:

TIA!!!!

threeh
10-11-2009, 01:35 PM
That is why I love my iphone! Now on my upcoming trip in December I will finally be able to check my email and update everyone on my myspace so I can make them all jealous j/k :D
i hated in the previous years never being able to get online while in WDW and i refused to pay $10/day for internet, so now with my iphone i can just use my regular cell signal to go online. Not that i have a lot of spare time in WDW but it drives me nuts not being able to "be connected" if i want/need to be.

Oh, rub it in!!! ha ha. I have verizon, no iphone for me for a while.

Wadeace
10-11-2009, 02:02 PM
no your not crazy i have done it several times.
but i dont think a router will work because the router takes a wan signal and converts it to a lan signal. there are companies out there who make special travel routers that are designed specifically for this purpose. i could be wrong about your regular home router. im e-mailing a friend to double check.

Wadeace
10-11-2009, 03:36 PM
his reply

"If the router you’re talking about is a standard router with a line in on cat-5, then yes you could. If your DSL provider gave it to you though, make sure it has the cat-5 in and not just a telephone jack in, otherwise you’d have a network but no internet. I know mine only has a phone line in, so I could only use it to connect computers to each other without internet."

1DisneyNut
10-11-2009, 04:10 PM
A regular wireless router like you buy at walmart that works when connected to a cable modem or DSL modem via a CAT5 ethernet cable will work to provide you with a wireless connection just like it does at home. You will have to set it up, sometimes an autoconfiguration app included on a CD with the router will work and other times you have to manually configure the settings depending on the setup. I haven't played around with the internet at WDW so I can't comment on what type service they use. I agree that $10 per day for internet service you are only going to have a few minutes each day to use and will most likely only check email (which uses very little bandwidth at all) is very exorbitant. The funny thing is that usually the reason I want to use the internet while I am there is to look at things to do in WDW that I am curious about or look for something new to do which would most likely result in them making money off of me but since they don't provide free internet service for us to do research while we are there they miss out on this opportunity.

DisneyPrincess21
10-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Oh, rub it in!!! ha ha. I have verizon, no iphone for me for a while.

Sorry :secret: :hide: ;) :wave:

WDWCrazyKaren
10-12-2009, 09:42 AM
None of the three iPod touches were accessed all week. No free public wifi. However, my Blackberry and I had a great time! :mickey: DH and I got to keep up on the pitch by pitch Twins games the whole trip!

DizneyRox
10-12-2009, 02:45 PM
If you're a DVC member, wireless should be free as well. I had no problems accessing it for free at the pool over at AKLV.

I can't imagine an iTouch couldn't connect to it just as a laptop would.

threeh
10-12-2009, 05:32 PM
If you're a DVC member, wireless should be free as well. I had no problems accessing it for free at the pool over at AKLV.

I can't imagine an iTouch couldn't connect to it just as a laptop would.

Good to know!!! Thanks:thumbsup:

fupresti
10-12-2009, 05:46 PM
A lot of those "free" wifi points you stumble across are people running access points and trying to steal your data.

NEVER under any circumstances connect to an unsecured wifi connection unless you are 100% positive it is a legitimate connection.