PDA

View Full Version : Mom and Son Trip! Advice Please

DawsonAR
10-10-2009, 08:36 AM
I have planned a trip for just my DS (8) and me (Mom). We have been to DW several times as a family, but this will be the first trip for the two of us.
I just booked this and we are leaving Nov. 19th. I have never booked a trip on such short notice. I usually plan EVERYTHING out. This time, I don't have anything planned. We are staying at POR and will spend 4 days in the parks.
Is there something we shouldn't miss? Something different we could do?
We typically do all four parks and at least one TS credit per day, but not many of the extras.
I also want to surprise him with the trip. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

SBETigg
10-10-2009, 09:11 AM
You're headed into Thanksgiving Week, so you might be facing some crowds. If you have only four days and several can't-miss attractions per park, you might not have much time to enjoy some different things outside the parks. But you could be there longer, you didn't specify length of visit just that you were spending 4 days in parks.

Book your dining now. If you want to do one table service a day, at this late date, you might have trouble finding Advanced Dining Reservations for your favorite spots and a lot of places won't take walk-ups if they're booked full from ADRs.

Other fun things to do-- you might try the new Characters In Flight balloon ride at Downtown Disney (and at his age, he might like dinner at the new T Rex restaurant, too), or maybe a carriage ride around POR. You'll be there during the Food and Wine Festival, and it's fun to have a meal of shared samples from all around World Showcase, maybe do a Kim Possible challenge in one of the countries.

faline
10-10-2009, 12:12 PM
There's also the pirate makeover in the Magic Kingdom.

wdwfansince75
10-10-2009, 05:14 PM
For an 8 year old....try to get to DHS for the opening.....Perhaps the morning after their evening EMH....or the morning that MK has their EMH.....probably be the lowest crowd at DHS......Go right to Toy Story MM...get fast passes, then get in the stand by queue....He will want to do it twice....or more.....Also do Star Tours, the Indy show, and Lights, Motors, Action.....If he is starting to like the thrill stuff, and you can handle it, also do ToT and RnRC.....

For EPCOT, be prepared to do Soaring and Test Track several times....FP's are the way to go....Also, consider dinner at Garden Grill....the characters will really treat him special!
Also, for kids that age, World Showcase can be tough....lots of walking, with little reward...consider skipping it entirely, or just venture out to do the Mexico and Norway rides....

For the MK, consider the Barnstormer, especially if this will be the first roller coaster trip....Also be willing to try Splash and BTMRR....or not, if he finds them to scary....And Buzz is a must...Also find that most kids that age seem to really enjoy the Monster Inc show.....

When you go, it gets dark earlier.....consider doing one park per day....do a full day, and head back to the resort...... One night, take the boat to DD, and do dinner at Rainforest or T Rex.
Not sure if you would need Park Hoppers.....or the Plus Option...If the two of you have your heart set on a water park, DQ, or the minature golf.....or just pay a one day fee. Cheaper than adding the And More option.

wire0monkey
10-10-2009, 08:52 PM
For an 8 year old....try to get to DHS for the opening.....Perhaps the morning after their evening EMH....or the morning that MK has their EMH.....probably be the lowest crowd at DHS......Go right to Toy Story MM...get fast passes, then get in the stand by queue....He will want to do it twice....or more.....Also do Star Tours, the Indy show, and Lights, Motors, Action.....If he is starting to like the thrill stuff, and you can handle it, also do ToT and RnRC.....

This. But I would go get the FPs and then hustle over to Star Tours to catch the first show of Jedi Training Academy. It's the best chance he'll have to get picked. Then I'd ride Star Tours twice, and build a lightsaber in Tatooine Traders.

wire0monkey
10-10-2009, 08:57 PM
I have planned a trip for just my DS (8) and me (Mom). We have been to DW several times as a family, but this will be the first trip for the two of us.
I just booked this and we are leaving Nov. 19th. I have never booked a trip on such short notice. I usually plan EVERYTHING out. This time, I don't have anything planned. We are staying at POR and will spend 4 days in the parks.
Is there something we shouldn't miss? Something different we could do?
We typically do all four parks and at least one TS credit per day, but not many of the extras.
I also want to surprise him with the trip. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

If you haven't been to "La Nouba" I highly recommend it. My 7 year old boy told me that it was "very beautiful." (Not his usual turn of phrase!)

He also had a really great time at Disney Quest, and spent ALL of his money at the Lego Store in Downtown Disney.

Wishmaker
10-10-2009, 09:40 PM
As far as how to surprise him, I have a suggestion. When DD and I made our first trip just the two of us. MY DH and I made type of scavanger hunt. What we did was create different riddles that would lead her to the next clue. Behind each clue was a letter. Once she found all the clues, she would turn them over and unscramble the letters that spelled out what we were doing.
It was so much fun and she was so excited.

Wadeace
10-11-2009, 01:17 AM
this brings back memories of my child hood and the times my parents would bring us to the parks. often times my dad would be in a conference or meeting, so we spent most of the time with my mother in the parks. more often than not my grandparents would join us as well. but there are plenty of cool boy things to do at disney. if hes anything like me i would head over to star tours for the jedi academy, and build my own light saber. the backlot tour, than lights motor action speed way, and the great movie ride.

but if anything, i would ask him what he wants to do, the more you let him decide the more in control he will feel thus make it feel more personalized to him.

the surprise also brings back a very special memory.

cue flash back sequence.
oh look fog and cool lights....

the year is 1998 and Hurricane Georges was forecasted to hit the keys. an evacuation order was given.

i was 10 my brother was 7 and my sister was 5.

our parents tell us to pack up and get ready because we needed to go to a shelter in orlando to ride out the storm. my siblings quietly comply while i am very inquisitive about the whole situation. who is going to be there why do we need to be there how long are we going to be there, is everything going to be okay back home...

the drive takes about 7 hours, and we didn't leave till after school got out, so it starts to get dark, and now we want to know when were going to get there.

than my parents move over from the turnpike to i-4, a little while later we start seeing signs for disney, my intrigue perks up, what are we doing here. my parents tell me that this is the way to the shelter. i guess we all were talking or doing something else because before we know it mom and dad star telling us to look outside because we are almost to the shelter and we should look out the window. all of a sudden the disney welcome archway comes into view, and we all scream for joy. the car became one big box of noise. we were the three happiest kids in the world that trip. the whole time we joked about how this was the best shelter ever.

over the years the hurricane activity increased and as such whenever there was a hurricane evacuation we would trek up to our special shelter.

RockChalkKimball
10-11-2009, 05:00 PM
My DS and I did this when he was about 12. It was the only trip that I didn't plan out completely. I told him this was his trip and he could decide what to do, where to eat, etc. We didn't do any TS meals. We just ate when he was ready and I let him choose. We did the rides he wanted to do and in the order he wanted to do them in. It was really fun for him to just decide and me to follow. I was even surprised a few times when he was tired and just wanted to go relax. I would do it again in a heartbeat, but I am having trouble talking him into it now that he is almost 17! Have fun!!

olivegirl
10-11-2009, 05:55 PM
I think renting the Sea Racers and cruising Seven Seas Lagoon is a GREAT experience!! I did this with my 10 year old DD this past August and we had a BLAST!!!! :thumbsup:

DawsonAR
10-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Wow, what wonderful advice. I'm even more excited now. There is so much to think about and so many options. I'm just glad I'm getting this opportunity. Thanks so much!

gmgdisneymom
10-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I will be there the same time Nov 18-22 with just me my DD (7) and DS (10) it is my first trip with just me and the kids as well (my husband will be on a business trip. I am so excited

I booked thee trip about two weeks ago and I did the dining right away. I am a little concerned about safety - being alone - but my kids are good about staying with me and locking doors etc.

i haven't told them yet. i am thinking about waking them up early to go to the flight and then telling them - I only hope I can keep the secret that long

have fun

DawsonAR
10-13-2009, 09:22 AM
I will be there the same time Nov 18-22 with just me my DD (7) and DS (10) it is my first trip with just me and the kids as well (my husband will be on a business trip. I am so excited

I booked thee trip about two weeks ago and I did the dining right away. I am a little concerned about safety - being alone - but my kids are good about staying with me and locking doors etc.

i haven't told them yet. i am thinking about waking them up early to go to the flight and then telling them - I only hope I can keep the secret that long

have fun

Sounds like great fun. I'm a little concerned about safety too. I know we will be out late each night and POR is large and dark. I'm sure all will be fine.
Have fun!

bruin1344
10-13-2009, 01:13 PM
when i was about your sons age, i liked these attractions that are still around today:

MK:
Indy Speedway
Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Jungle Cruise
Country Bear Jamboree
Tom Sawyers Island
Swiss Family Tree
Peter Pan

Epcot:
Honey I Shrunk Audience
Spaceship Earth
Maelstrom
Walking around world showcase

DHS:
Muppets 3D
Great Movie Ride
Indiana Jones Show

Auroring Good Time
10-13-2009, 07:23 PM
I recently did this with my 9 year old son and we had a wonderful time. I agree with the above post and just go at his pace and let him take the lead. You'll both have a better time.