PDA

View Full Version : She Said - He Said Day 6

nicster
10-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Cast:
She (nicster) – 10 years old at WDW. Real world age? Between 50 & death…
He (DH) – 11 years old at WDW. Ditto on real world age.

September 25:

THE PLAN: Animal Kingdom – Yak-n-Yeti for Lunch – Fantasmic

Since we’ve already been to AK once, we slept in a bit and hit the bus stop at 9:57 and the bus arrived 2 minutes later. Soon we’re at the park. Since we have arrived so late and we have an 11:45 rezzie at Y-n-Y, we do a little shopping. The DW buys something around 10:45 at Island Merchandise and wants to have it shipped to the resort. At 11:30, they’re still trying to figure it out. What a waste of time. I’ll let her fill in the details.

Here’s the deal. I bought some things that I just didn’t want to haul around AK all day, so I thought that I would take advantage of the send it on to your resort offer. The young cm just couldn’t get the green triplicate form to go thru the register to print everything on it to save her life. Another cm came over, she couldn’t do it. :mad:They finally got the mgr. to try, they were still struggling. I explained that we had rezzies that we did not want to be late, they finally gave me some hand written paperwork, and with appropriate apologies sent me on my way. I am very understanding when it comes to retail sales (I worked for a dept. store for 13 yrs.) but this brought back memories of other trips when this was a problem. It seems like they would have worked out the mechanics of this by now. The mgr offered to call ahead to YnY to tell them we were on our way, not sure if this actually happened or not, but we had no problems as a result.

Anyway, we finally head out toward our rezzie. We’re seated virtually immediately. We get the dim sum appetizer, I have the skirt steak and shrimp, which is just wonderful. I LOVE skirt steak, and if it’s a tender piece of meat and well cooked, well, I’m in heaven. As far as I’m concerned, this is best meal I had during our trip. I’ll definitely be back. Server was great and, oh the dessert…wontons with cream cheese filling and ice cream. Wonderful.

I ordered the Maple Tamarind Chicken (Seared chicken breast, Indonesian tamarind glaze, coconut-ginger rice, baby bok choy, and shiitake mushroom stir-fry) very good, but Richard’s was better (we sampled each others). The theming in this place was outstanding! I felt like we had transported half way around the world. The dessert wontons (Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons with vanilla ice cream and honey vanilla drizzle) were wonderful, but I asked for the Chocolate Brownie Sundae, it is a dessert that is supposed to be for two, but as I explained to our server, I only wanted the brownies/sans the ice-cream, and in a to-go box. He said he would see what he could do, and was able to grant my request.

When we arrived, the place was pretty empty, but when we leave at 12:40, the entry is a zoo. As I try to squeeze out, a little boy cuts in front of me, gets hung up on my over the shoulder bag, which I’m carrying in front of me, and down on his face he goes. I stop trying to figure out what happened. I apologize, even though I realize it’s not my fault, and the parents are quick to realize the same thing, since they had just told the boy to stay beside them.

I heard the parents telling their little darling to stop running around, as Richard & I were heading out. Then the crash & cry sounds (remember this is a crowded waiting area, so I am following him out & can’t actually see any of what is going on up there). The drama was over quick enough, but a shame none the less. As we headed out I was taking note of the ‘Tasty Food’ cs sign. They had some good sounding offerings there too. Things like Honey Chicken, Sweet-n-Sour Pork, Shrimp Lo Mein, Kung Pao Beef, Mandarin Chicken, & then some burgers & chicken bites for the kids.

So finally we’re out the door and on our way to Expedition Everest. The DW doesn’t want to do that, so I get in the single rider line at 12:49 with about 8 or 9 people ahead of me. I’m on the ride by 12:56 and it’s all over with by 1:01. 12 minutes total….not bad.

There were signs warning me to respect tradition & beware the Legend of the Forbidden Mountain—Am I going to take chances with a Yeti that is protecting the mountain??? Not this girl!

We head back to see if we can catch DeVine….they’ve moved where she hangs out, and we’ve missed the last appearance of the day. Dang it.

We didn’t realize that there is actually a posted schedule of when & where DeVine appears, we will know next time.

So we go and see the Festival of the Lion King again. This time we’re in the Lion section. Wanna hear my roar?

I have heard your roar, it needs some work. We discovered that the seats are all good in this theater, especially if you are above floor level, maybe 3 rows or more. The monkeys are amazing & the story line is fun.

We head out and see a CBR bus leaving just before we get there. But another one shows up 3 minutes later, so we’re happy. So from bus stop to the Jamaica bus stop is 28 minutes.

We hang out in our room for a while (read, had a nap & cooled off), and then we head to the bus stop at 5:50. Bus arrives in 10 minutes and we’re at DHS in 10 to 15 minutes more.

When we arrived there were some cm’s doing a street show, it must have just started. I am glad we were taking our time to enjoy more of this type of thing.

We do the Animation Tour and then head to Studio Catering for a meal. I have to have a hot dog meal at least once on vacation, but this one was really lame. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that small before.

I had the pork sandwich, what can I say? I love pork sandwiches?? This one, I could have done without, dry & flavorless.

As we wander back, we head to TSMM for a 60 minute wait. I beat the DW again, but the arm is getting pretty sore.

Just wait for Buzz! :thedolls:

On to Fantasmic, which we’ve never seen at DHS. We get some reasonable seats and watch the show. It’s okay I guess….just too far away. I was kind of disappointed in it. I won’t be back.

We waited & waited. Children howling, people pressing in, just not good. When they allowed us to proceed into the amphitheater it was a looooong slow, elbow to elbow walk. The show itself seemed more an ad at the end for all the princesses. Don’t get me wrong, love the whole princess thing, but I am Soooo Princessed out!

We head out a couple minutes before the end of the show to beat the rush, and a bus is waiting for us. I love Jamaica. We’re the first stop. And we’re done for the day.

I am glad we headed out when we did, I just couldn’t stand to be the in crush again. On the bus back we handed out glow in the dark bracelets to the kids in the back of the bus with us. I love the look on their faces as I remove them from my own wrist & offer the bracelet to the kids. The end of another magical day…

jillluvsdisney
10-09-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm glad to hear good things about Yak and Yeti. I will be dining there in December.
I CANNOT believe that kid cut in front of you and then got hurt.....and that's all I'm going to say.:mad:

pdrlkr
10-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the Report! :balloon:

faline
10-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Maybe we'll have to give Yak & Yeti another try. We ate there once and were not impressed though I keep hearing good reports from other folks!

Phantod
10-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Maybe we'll have to give Yak & Yeti another try. We ate there once and were not impressed though I keep hearing good reports from other folks!

I think a lot of times it's what you like and whether or not they do a good job with that. Me, I'm a steak kind of guy when on vacation because the DW doesn't serve it at home. My dad worked as a salesman at a Meat Packing Co. and brought home dynamite steaks, so I can really appreciate a nice piece of skirt steak, when it's well prepared.

droopy d.
10-10-2009, 08:57 AM
What a great day:thumbsup:

ChipDale
10-11-2009, 10:58 AM
On to Fantasmic, which we’ve never seen at DHS. We get some reasonable seats and watch the show. It’s okay I guess….just too far away. I was kind of disappointed in it. I won’t be back.

I agree. Compared to Disneyland's, WDW's is a (poorer) imitation.

Sounds like a nice day - thanks again for sharing with us. :mickey:

KylesMom
10-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Yes, resort package delivery should be seemless & there shouldn't be any issues at all- that's just plain goofy it took so long!

I didn't know that Devine had a posted schedule, either. Thanks for the tip! Isn't Festival of the Lion King a wonderful show?

Although we found the Yak & Yeti TS to be ok, it wasn't worth the $85 for the three of us for lunch (even with our A/P discount). It was definitely higher priced than all of our other TS lunches. Perhaps we we just ordered the wrong things!

Isn't that afternoon rest/nap time refreshing?!!! We find it really helps, especially in the heat.

Yes, Fantasmic! can be an ordeal, to say the least. We've always favored the Dining Package to minimize waits, as it can get pretty hairy between the line in and then trying to find seats. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it more!

I'm sure you made some children very happy with those bracelets - very nice!

All in all, another great day! :mickey:

vizsla
10-13-2009, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the report.

nicster
10-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Although we found the Yak & Yeti TS to be ok, it wasn't worth the $85 for the three of us for lunch (even with our A/P discount). It was definitely higher priced than all of our other TS lunches. Perhaps we we just ordered the wrong things!

We were on the DDP so the cost wasn't a consideration. In the future, without DDP, I could see us splitting an entree and dessert, to save some bucks. The cs just outside of YnY looked like it could be very good too.

princessgirls
10-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Great day!! Thanks for the fun reports. I'm enjoying reading them all!

Julie:mickey: