PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

mjaclyn
10-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Help! I'm sitting in our room at BLT with my 2 young children under 3 and my sleeping DH who has a 103.6 fever. We have no grandparents or other helpers here with us this trip. What should I do?

It'sWDW4me
10-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Oh boy. You may need to trek the kids down to the resort shop - I know there is a limited variety of OTC meds (overpriced for sure) in case you didn't bring tylenol/cold meds with you. The front desk would be able to get you the number for a doctor who makes house calls (a friend needed this last year).

My heart goes out to you. It isn't easy with two tiny kids to juggle! Good luck.

BluewaterBrad
10-09-2009, 04:17 PM
I feel so bad for you all. Good luck.:mickey:

LittleRoosMommy
10-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Here's some pixie dust for you all!! I really hope your DH starts feeling better really soon!!

:pixie: :pixie:

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Oh no!

I would take a trek down to to the store and get some medicine for DH. Also, stop by the front desk and let them know, DH might need a doctor, perhaps they could get you one that will come to you, or help arrange Kids Night Out (or something similar) to come come over while you take DH to a clinic, if he needs it.

Here's some :pixie: that he feels better soon.

DVC2004
10-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Oh no! You may need to take him to a local urgent care center- that's a pretty high fever. Call the front desk for assitance.

Wadeace
10-09-2009, 05:27 PM
my suggestion would be to get dh some medications from the shop or if you feel it serious ask if the front desk can call a doctor. order him some soup of something light from room service.

If you feel you can handle the kids on your own take them and let dh rest in quite. you might want to consider the pool. it looks fun for the kids yet wouldn't be totally packed full of guest so you would have an easier time keeping track of the little ones.

also disney offers several places you could take the kids to be watched while you care for dh. the Polynesian and the grand floridian both have services you could use and would be a short monorail ride away. here is some more info about day care and babysitting services http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/children/childcare.asp

and i hope dh feels better soon!!!

mjaclyn
10-09-2009, 05:27 PM
The doctor is here in the room now... DH is getting a swine flu test :-(

Wadeace
10-09-2009, 05:34 PM
oh dear

it has been rampant her at the local schools and universities.

and what a terrible time to get sick.

i hope everything works out ok.

cather74
10-09-2009, 05:37 PM
I hope he feels better. Good luck!!! Stay positive!:mickey:

SBETigg
10-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I hope he's okay! But with a fever in the family, I'm not sure all the suggestions for going to the pool or mixing with other kids is a good idea. See what the doctor says. If I recall, your daughter was sick a few days before you left? Maybe he has what she had? Best wishes that he feels better soon,and for you to be able to amuse the little ones and keep everyone else healthy without much trouble.

mjaclyn
10-10-2009, 10:27 AM
So the H1N1 test was negative although not 100% accurate. DH is still sick but we're on our way to the airport heading home. Will post more later...thanks all for the support and suggestions!

DVC2004
10-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Sorry things did not go well. I hope your DH feels better soon and have a safe trip.

MickeyMousse
10-10-2009, 09:18 PM
So sorry!! Let us know what the diagnosis ends up being! Have a safe trip home.

mouseketeer mom
10-10-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this! How long of a trip was this supposed to be, and did you cut it short because of the illness? This is just awful. Wishes for a speedy recovery and a healthy return to WDW in the near future.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-10-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm so sorry to hear he's sick. Hopefully he's feeling better quickly.

green ranger
10-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Are you back home now? How is everyone feeling? I hope no one else came down with it.

mjaclyn
10-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Update:

We're home! DH is still sick :( but definitely not as bad as he was on Friday. We ended up having the in-room doctor come to visit us and he gave DH the rapid test for H1N1 and some other strain of the flu. Both came back negative (thank goodness), but when DH asked about flying back home the next morning, he said it wasn't recommended...especially if he had a fever. At this point his fever was still over 101 even though he was alternating Tylenol and Motrin every three hours. DH called Jetblue to explain the situation but they couldn't help us at all. They said if we wanted to fly out Sunday instead it would be a total of $1200 and Monday would be $800. Even so, he wanted me to check at the front desk if there was any way we could extend our stay another day or two so he could try and regain some strength. The CM at the desk said there were no rooms available and that I should call Member Services (of course, this was no help at all considering MS closes at 5:30 and it was already 8pm). I ended up packing everything up myself so that all DH had to do in the morning was take a shower and get dressed. We were both hoping that his fever would go down so we didn't have to try and arrange another room for the next two days and have to move all of our things to another hotel. The next morning he was still very out of it but at least his temp had dropped. We brought our luggage to the airline check in desk and decided to keep our reservation at Kona since we were already up and out. The pineapple macademia pancakes were delicous! The flight home was okay - DH was very groggy so we ended up being VERY late and almost missed the plane. We were the last ones to board with 2 kids, tons of stuff, and of course, at the back of the plane. I also HAD to take DD to the bathroom before we took off and the flight attendant kept pounding on the door because they were trying to leave the gate and we had to be in our seats. So embarrassing!! Anyway, we're home now, we survived...and although I'm up to my neck in dirty laundry and suitcases to unpack I still have a lot of great memories from this trip. DD absolutely LOVED the Akershus princess breakfast and was in her glory taking pictures and getting autographs. We were able to do some of food & wine, and it was priceless hearing DD sing 'It's a Small World After All' at the top of her lungs EVERY time we got in line to go on the ride. (one of her favorites) :-)

So far, everyone else is still healthy but it makes me sick to my stomach every time one of the kids coughs or sneezes, and I'm constantly checking their foreheads to see if they feel warm. The doctor said that since we were together all week, whatever DH was exposed to we were (most likely) also exposed, so I would be surprised if we got sick. Especially since DH started last Thursday and it's now Sunday night - a good sign! (I hope)

Does anyone know if Disney has taken any additional precautions because of the swine flu? Do they use any kind of disinfectant on things like ride bars, high chairs, arm rests, etc? The doctor that came to our room said he had already seen a number of patients in Disney all complaining of flu symptoms...I wonder how much swine flu is going around Disney?

Dsnygirl
10-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know if Disney has taken any additional precautions because of the swine flu? Do they use any kind of disinfectant on things like ride bars, high chairs, arm rests, etc? The doctor that came to our room said he had already seen a number of patients in Disney all complaining of flu symptoms...I wonder how much swine flu is going around Disney?
First -- I'm so glad you guys are home safe & sound, and that your DH is recovering w/o any of you feeling sick... how scary that whole thing must have been.

As far as Disney and the flu, I think all I've heard is that there are some extra signs reminding people of the need for good handwashing... no special cleansers or antibacterial stuff anywhere that I've heard about.

The doctor's comments make me a bit nervous, as we're headed down late next week... we've all gotten our flu shots and I'm armed with Purell and Lysol and antibacterial wipes, but no matter what, you're going to touch stuff and get exposed to things, even if you're ultra careful. (And being a nurse, I tend to get a bit OCD about stuff -- but even that can't help all the time!! :blush:)

I'm sure hoping it doesn't become more widespread... and that if it does, Disney will at least let people know so they can take precautions.

Good luck to you guys -- I'm glad you have lots of happy memories, even w/ your DH getting under the weather.

mouseketeer mom
10-11-2009, 10:06 PM
What an ending to your trip. I'm glad you are all home safe and getting and (hopefully!) staying well.

SBETigg
10-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Gosh, that's the very thing I feared for you-- not being able to fly because of his fever, and not having a room in case you couldn't. I really think that the airlines and the hotels need to be more helpful in such situations. Not that they weren't, entirely, but there you were, really stuck with a tough decision and two small children and a sick husband. The airlines don't want you to fly sick, yet they want to charge you a load of money for changing plans. It's a terribly difficult situation all around.

From the business end, I understand it's a tough call because there are, unfortunately, people who will take advantage, and how can you make everyone prove they're sick? On the other hand, what do you when you're put in the position you were in? Kudos for handling it all with grace under that kind of pressure. I'm so glad you made it home and the DH is recovering and the kids or you are not sick-- and that you had some good vacation days before it all hit. Best wishes for staying well!

mjaclyn
10-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Ugh....I spoke too soon. Both kids are sick now. They both have the same congested cough and a fever. I'm worried about DS because this is his first fever and he's only 5 months old. :(

mouseketeer mom
10-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Wash your hands like crazy and don't rub your nose and eyes! Drink lots and eat healthy while you take care of the kids. I hope the kids bounce back faster then DH.

diz_girl
10-13-2009, 10:35 AM
I hope that your family feels better soon.

I know that it's tough taking care of two small, sick children, but you can look on the bright side of this. DH didn't come down with this until the end of your trip, you didn't miss your flight and your kids didn't get sick until you got back. So it was pretty good timing. At least no one got sick at the beginning of your trip.