PDA

View Full Version : Category 12?

MissT
10-08-2009, 10:32 PM
We were just enticed to purchase a Cat. 12 Cabin on Magic for 7 day cruise. Without much thought we bought it due to the price and now I'm just checking into the details. I don't usually act without research but the deal was too good to pass up. Anyone ever book a Cat. 12 cabin that could tell me a bit about their room, ie: location, size, comparison to other cabins? :mickey:

Imalismom
10-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Which deck are you on?

Ed
10-10-2009, 05:15 PM
From the DCL website:

A Standard Inside Stateroom has the following specifications:

Sleeps: 3 or 4

Size: 184 sq. ft.

Room Configuration: Queen-size bed or 2 twin beds, single convertible sofa, some with upper berth pull-down bed, bath with tub and shower

View: No exterior view

Standard Inside Staterooms fall under Categories 11 and 12. Staterooms in Category 11 are on Decks 5, 6 and 7. Staterooms in Category 12 are located on Deck 2 with proximity to restaurants and nightclubs.

The DCL website has a pretty good stateroom comparison page: click here (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/staterooms/compare/).

We haven't personally ever had a Cat 12, but my son and his DW have; they said the room was surprisingly roomy, and they didn't miss having a porthole or balcony at all.

We were on Deck 1 for our first DCL cruise and didn't find it at all noisy, and the motion of the ship was not noticeable at all, if you're concerned about those aspects of being on Deck 2.

One thing with Cat 12 staterooms is that they are sometimes upgraded to a higher category as cruise time gets closer and they get more requests for that category. The folks who booked the earliest are the ones most likely to get upgraded. I've read of several parties that were upgraded from Cat 12 to Cat 9 staterooms. There are no guarantees, of course, but it is a possibility.

Donald A
10-11-2009, 12:12 PM
My wife and I are taking our first cruise on the Wonder with my parents in February. We each got a category 12 stateroom. I looked at the room online. I don't anticipate being in my room except to sleep or shower. So, I am fine with it. An upgrade would be a bonus, but I will not be heart-broken about it if it doesn't happen. I am just curious to try out a cruise.

CleveSJM
10-12-2009, 01:29 PM
My wife and I are taking our first cruise on the Wonder with my parents in February. We each got a category 12 stateroom. I looked at the room online. I don't anticipate being in my room except to sleep or shower. So, I am fine with it. An upgrade would be a bonus, but I will not be heart-broken about it if it doesn't happen. I am just curious to try out a cruise.

I booked Cat 12 for our upcoming cruise about one year ago. A month before the cruise, Disney called and offered an upgrade to a 9 for a couple hundred $. We passed. When we got the cruise documents a little bit ago I see that they upgraded us to an 11. So, Deck 2 to deck 5 and the split bath... Not bad.

shellyc
10-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Congrats on the upgrade. Cat 11 does not have a split bath. We were just in cat 11 5013 and it was fine.

CleveSJM
10-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Thanks shelly. I was thinking only 12s had the one bath but you are right. No worries.

MissT
12-10-2009, 07:17 PM
I forgot I had posted a question. :blush: We were not able to select a room because they said it would be assigned. We'll just hope for the best as it's our first cruise and we have no expectations. We we be out of the room unless we are sleeping so it shouldn't matter much.
Thanks for all of your replies. :thumbsup:

Donald_Quackers
12-22-2009, 11:53 PM
I forgot I had posted a question. :blush: We were not able to select a room because they said it would be assigned. We'll just hope for the best as it's our first cruise and we have no expectations. We we be out of the room unless we are sleeping so it shouldn't matter much.
Thanks for all of your replies. :thumbsup:

That's right, I believe the Cat 12's are only sold in a Guarantee status, that you are guaranteed at least that category.

Other Categories can go into Guaranty status as they fill up. I'm in a Guaranteed Cat 6 for my cruise next December.

TennesseeBear
12-28-2009, 03:22 PM
we booked cat 12; hoping for comp upgrade, assigned room 2509; level 2 all the way forward, no luck with comp upgrade so we checked when we got to the port; $610 to get porthole room; not worth it for us, room was ok, would request midship next time to see if it helps my motion sickness,drawers and storage areas are very well thought-out, make use of all spaces, store luggage under beds,room was pretty much what we expected,bring plastic shoe holder to put in bathroom to hold toiletries,small table in front of sofa was never used; more in the way, we used every drawer and every inch of closet, several small shelves in closet for shoes, we brought extra wire hangers, plenty of space to hang clothes in closet

JabberJaws
12-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah we booked a Cat 11 (sailing Feb. 21-15 2010). I wouldn't mind a comp upgrade, but am not banking on it. The room is the least of our concern as it is just me and my wife so I think they will be plenty big. Plus we don't plan on being in the room that much so I don't mind.

I did a DCL with 3 friends in 2002 and got a Cat 10 room (same as 11 but has split bath). The split bath was great, especially since I was with 3 girls, but won't be a big deal w/ just 2 of us.

Definitely not worth $600 to get a porthole!