PDA

View Full Version : AKL vs WL

DizneyDoug
10-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm planning our next trip and for the last two trips we have stayed at POFQ and we really like it there. But my mom died and left me a little money to spend on her granddaughters so I'm thinking of upgrading to a Deluxe resort. Now I'm still frugal and we are more about the parks than the hotels, but we do like to come back to the hotel some days for an afternoon break to hang out by the pool and relax. I've researched and the WL & AKL (std views) are still within my budget and I'm wondering which is better for a June trip with my DD's (9 and 6)?
Thanks for any help!

thejens
10-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I am sorry about your Mom. I am sure she would like to know you will have happy times with your girls.
Re. AKL and WL, I have visited both, but have only stayed at AKL. I love AKL and think your daughters would love being able to see the animals. IMO the Savannah view is not essential since there are many areas from which to see the animals. The pool at AKL is great and at Kidani Village there is a fabulous water park type area which my kids loved. I personally love the restaurants, all the artwork and the theming better at AKL. If you have a car AKL would be perfect. I know many love the WL and it does have the boat transportation which is a plus. I am thinking about trying Wilderness Lodge next time just for a change. I hope you will tell us about your trip after you return!

Aggie97
10-09-2009, 12:22 AM
We stayed at both resorts for the first time last year -- AKL in June and WL in October.

We enjoyed both resorts for their beautiful theming and relaxing atmosphere, both inside and outdoors.

At AKL, we really liked Jiko and Boma.

However, we preferred WL's location. We loved the boat to the MK, as well as having easy access to the monorail resorts for dinner and shopping via the WL-CR boat launch. We don't have kids yet and spend many evenings this way, so it was a huge plus for us.

We did not have any complaints about AKL's resort-to-park bus transportation, but it is not terribly convenient for resort hopping. If that's not something you do often, then this might not be an issue at all.

They both are wonderful resorts. We are returning to WL in a few weeks. Whatever you decide, have a great time! :mickey:

c&d
10-09-2009, 10:16 AM
We've stayed at both. Although I love AKL, I think with your daughters you will probably be spending more time at MK. If that's the case I would definitely go with Wilderness Lodge. I enjoy getting to the park on the boat. One of the nice things we've done at WL is watch from the beach the fireworks over MK and the Electric parade is nice to see at night from the beach also.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. They are both great resorts.

darthmacho
10-09-2009, 04:19 PM
A classic question! AKL didn't exist when I first discovered the greatness of WDW, and I immediately got enamored with WL, and now it is my sentimental favorite. I often wonder though, that if AKL was an option for that first trip, would it now be my obsession?

In any case, if you're going to have a standard view anyway, I'd suggest WL, which is a little cheaper and has a boat to MK, Fort Wilderness (If you do Hoop Dee Doo) and a few other destinations.

WL is a magical resort.

On the bright side, you can't make a wrong decision. :mickey:

SFTrny
10-09-2009, 05:03 PM
We haven't stayed at either, but have toured them both and eaten at the restaurants. I would lean more towards WL based on what you describe. Besides the buses, it has boat service to WDW and the CR (with monorail). Geting back from the parks during the day might be easier from WL unless you are committed to renting a car. Also, WL has a marina if you want to rent a boat. And it's a quick boat ride to FW for the Hoop-De-Doo review if you want to give that a try.

Ransom
10-09-2009, 05:11 PM
WL has location, AKL has a better CS restaurant. WL has small resort size going for it, while AKL has animals in its back yard.

If you've researched them and can't decide, you may be happy at either of them. They're certainly beautifully themed resorts with wonderful CMs and great amenities.

buzznwoodysmom
10-09-2009, 06:07 PM
We've stayed at both. Given the choice both of my boys (ages 7 and 9) would stay at WL for every trip. They love it there. Its really nice to take the boat over to MK, or to the Contemporary for breakfast at Chef Mickey's. They did enjoy AKL too. I don't think you can make a bad decision. Have fun.