PDA

View Full Version : Who has "year-round" school schedules and what are your "breaks"?

Gregandmel
10-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Hello all!

In a previous post about why it was so crowded this time of year, it was mentioned that some schools are doing year-round classes, with bigger breaks throughout the normal school-year. IF you have a year-round school schedule with the 2-week break, when is your Spring Break dates? I think the 2 week "Fall" break took some people by surprise with some noticed increase in crowds right now. Just wondering if we'll hit bigger crowds than we were anticipating (although I realize it's anyones guess right now!) Thanks!!!! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
10-08-2009, 02:44 PM
My son's Spring Break (year round schedule) is

March 26 (Friday, minimum day)-April 16. School resumes on Monday, April 19.

doombuggygal
10-08-2009, 05:17 PM
At our daughter's balanced calendar school spring brake is March 29- April 9 this year. She also has fall intersession October 26-Nov. 11. We always spend fall intersession at WDW.

Sunshine1010
10-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Yes....we do year round school.

School starts in July.
2 weeks off in October
2 weeks off in December-January
2 weeks off in March
School ends last wee of May ( 8 1/2 weeks of summer)

BigRedDad
10-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Here in Wake County NC, there are traditional and year-round schools. Traditional Spring Break is usually tied to Easter. In a true year-round school, there are 4 tracks. Every three weeks, one track is not in school. In other words, weeks 1-3 of the start of the year, Track 1, Track 2, and Track 3 are in school while Track 4 has a 3 week break. Weeks 4-6 will have Tracks 2, 3, 4 in session and Track 1 out. This cycle continues all year long.

DisneyFr33k
10-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Here in Wake County NC, there are traditional and year-round schools. Traditional Spring Break is usually tied to Easter. In a true year-round school, there are 4 tracks. Every three weeks, one track is not in school. In other words, weeks 1-3 of the start of the year, Track 1, Track 2, and Track 3 are in school while Track 4 has a 3 week break. Weeks 4-6 will have Tracks 2, 3, 4 in session and Track 1 out. This cycle continues all year long.

I BigRedDad - I live in Apex and teach there too (in Wake County). We track out in 1 week (Track 3) and have 3 weeks off in what we find is the most beautiful time of year to fly down to the World! We are heading down to WDW for 5 nights then take a 3 night Bahama's cruise immediately afterwards! This is our 4th trip down in Oct/Nov. In this regard, I love teaching and having children in year round. We can afford more vacations that we couldn't if we were traditional and the prices are so high in the summers.

DisneyBabies
10-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Our district no longer has year-round (we did last year), but we have a new system in place that gives us a few breaks during the school year. We no longer do "traditional" summer school where you go for weeks during the summer. We have what is called extended learning days for those kids who need extra help, to try to prevent them from falling so far behind. Since my DS doesn't need extended learning, he will be out of school Oct 23-30 and March 29-April 5 (children who do need extended learning will only get 2 days off for spring break). There are also extended learning days in June right after school ends and in August right before school starts again.

We were told the district did this in response 1- to the complaints about getting rid of year-round, and 2- the response from parents who didn't want their kids to have to go to summer school. I prefer year-round, but this system is better than nothing.