PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Lodge vs Mods

DizneyDoug
10-06-2009, 09:35 PM
I am currently planning our next trip for next June and I'm trying to figure out where to stay. My family is me, DW, DD's (9 and 6), and we have stayed at POFQ the last two trips and at ASMo once earlier. I am thinking of changing to a different Moderate (CBR) and also thinking of moving up to WL. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/experiences.
Thanks to all for your assistance.

lockedoutlogic
10-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Wilderness is one of the 3 nicest overall properties....and along with animal kingdom lodge....is the best overall value for what you get....

the moderates are probably the worst "value"

I state this based on looking at what you get for the price...particularly food choices....location, and my experiences in working in the operation of both moderates and deluxes....

POP is a nice choice if you don't think you'll recoup a higher room cost

hope it helps

jnfr2424
10-06-2009, 10:33 PM
If you are going to spend one day at your resort, then I would go with WL hands down I LOVE LOVE LOVE renting boats from here! Plus the boat ride to MK is cool too. The atmosphere is truly amazing. If you are strictly all about the parks then stay at CBR and request a room in Trinidad that way you are close to the food court and main pool otherwise you might be either hiking or taking the internal bus to these locations!

BigRedDad
10-07-2009, 07:30 AM
I would look at it in two ways if it were my decision: how long is your stay and how many days will you just stay at the resort?

I have not been able to go as frequently as I would like to make a trip to WDW "relaxing". Therefore, much of the time is spent at the parks. If I were able to go more frequently, I could take the parks slower, enjoy some of the relaxing aspects WDW has to offer.

I stayed at WL in November for a 5 day trip. Is was more go-go-go. There was another factor that may played havoc for me on the trip, but that was a non-WDW issue. It was also very cold so enjoying the pool and other things just didn't happen. I could easily see spending an entire day there and afternoon pool breaks.

For "value" I will be either staying at CS (for the two queen beds) if we get one room or POP if we get 2 rooms.

A Big Kid
10-07-2009, 07:35 AM
WL is our favorite. It seems like it is so far removed from the hustle and bustle but still has that Disney feel. The lauch to the MK/Contemporary is very relaxing.

pox24
10-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Don't hesitate, spend the extra coin a go to the Lodge. Great food, great rooms and atmosphere. A short boatride to the CR, MK, and FW. I think its the best themed hotel on property. enough said.. Bookit Danno:thumbsup:

KylesMom
10-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Quite some time ago, we had the same decision to make as you. We started at the Values, moved up to CBR, tried a WL cabin, then, due to great deals being offered, tried CR and WL. With the Queen beds, beautiful grounds and various recreational activities, we've been repeat visitors to WL for the past four years - going back for a fifth stay in July of '10.

As others have said, if you have any interest in spending time at the resort, I couldn't give WL a higher recommendation. We've slowed our pace down & spend a few hours each day just "hanging" at the resort, and this place has plenty to see & do for DS, DH and myself.

However, if you're an "8 am to midnight in the parks" type of visitor, I would probably save the cash & hit a value resort - they're going to have the same double beds as a mod, and if you're going that much, you probably won't be around the resort to take advantage of the TS restaurant.

Good luck in your decision! :mickey:

diz_girl
10-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Disclaimer - I've never stayed at a Mod or Value, just Deluxes.

I love WL - I've stayed there three times. It is a beautiful resort and has some of the best theming on property. The lobby is fantastic. I just love to sit down in the lobby and relax with a cup of tea or hot chocolate. The pool has great theming. You get the EWP at night and you can see some of the MK fireworks from the dock and from some rooms (Woods View). There is a nice path that runs from WL to FW - you can rent bikes and ride between the two resorts. One of my favorite things to do is to rent a boat and ride around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. Also, you are only a short boat ride from the CR and all of the resorts on the monorail line and their restaurants. Since you are also close to FW, you can take advantage of their amenities, like the nightly campfire sing-along and movie, or the petting zoo and pony rides.

Just beware - a lot of people who have only stayed in Values or Mods then stay at WL (or any other deluxe) and their first complaint is that the food court is too small. Deluxe resorts do not have food courts, just a CS restaurant. Since all of the Deluxes have at least two TS restaurants (CR has three and GF has five), there isn't the need for a large food court, so there is only a CS resturant. Warning - It does get a bit crowded at breakfast.

GrmGrninGost
10-11-2009, 09:49 AM
If money is not a problem, go with Wilderness Lodge. We have stayed at several deluxe resorts and visited them all. I have to say Wilderness Lodge is my favorite. We often stay at moderates or values, but given my choice, I would go to WL over any other resort. :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
10-11-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm staying at the WL in July for the first time. I can't wait :mickey:

Ropachs
10-11-2009, 02:41 PM
If you decide to go moderate, definitely try CBR, we've stayed at all the mods and like CBR the best.
I second what others have said, about how much time you'll have to be at your resort vs. the parks. The values are not worth it if you're never there. Also, the comment about the CS restaurants at the deluxes being mobbed is right on. We were at Poly last year and could never get a table, we had to eat in our room, not very fun.

d_m_n_n
10-11-2009, 04:30 PM
We have stayed at ASMu :( (never again), POR (happy and priced right) :) and WL (enjoyed it and would probably spend the extra to stay again) :D ... When we stayed at the WL, we loved the indoor corridors, the boat and the feel of the deluxe in general (not to mention the queen sized beds). But what was totally lacking was the food options. They do have Roaring Forks, WCC and AP, but what we really missed was the POR food court. Some nights we didn't feel like doing a sit-down meal, but wanted a little more variety than what RF had to offer. It won't deter us from staying there again and probably would have chosen it for Dec. if not for other circumstances. If $$$ isn't a huge factor, definitely spend the extra for WL!!