PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story Midway @ MGM

Wadeace
10-06-2009, 06:34 PM
So this weekend was my first time going back to Disney in over a year. The trip was great, and got to meet up with some friends from home, you know him as artboy.

So anyway, we broke off for a bit, and I went to MGM to check out the new toy story midway, and to ride some of the classics like GMR, but I digress.

I was in the cue for toy story watching the Mr. Potato head when I realized he actually interacts with the crowd, at first I thought he was on a loop and just posing open-ended questions but then he started picking out people from the audience and asking them things. I didn’t relies this till I did because the parents and adults were treating it as if it was any other animatronics in the park. Looking around I could even spot the support technology to power such a figure. Then as the cue brought me closer, I saw him do something I've never seen an animatronics do, he took out his ear, while saying "are your ears clogged, here borrow one of mine."

While I have seen animatronics interact with other animatronics, or props in pseudo fashion of giving the illusion of bushing buttons, controlling levers or even a fake handshake, I have never seen a animatronics actually have the dexterity to pick up and manipulate an object. I could tell that this was achieved through the use of magnets, but still I feel this is the start of a huge step forward for the interactivity of Disney animatronics and characters.

Sorry for the geek out, I just had to share this with everyone.

BluewaterBrad
10-06-2009, 07:07 PM
It is cool isn't it??!:mickey:

CaptSmee
10-06-2009, 08:07 PM
He's an amazing piece of work! I was surprised last week on our 1st trip to Disneyland when at the very end of the Monsters Inc. ride there's a giant Roz & I had my camera out & she said to me want me to pose for your picture? then we went on it a 2nd time & she told the boy in the 2nd row with the cap on to listen to his mother who was scolding him!

Joannelet
10-06-2009, 08:36 PM
LOL I saw Roz in DL too and didn't realize it the first time I was on. I knew she had said something funny because the people in front of us were laughing. Then we went on a 2nd time and she said something funny to my husband about what he was wearing.
I haven't seen MPH yet but I cannot wait to see him! :) They really went above and beyond with making him! :)
I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Patricia
10-06-2009, 09:08 PM
I haven't seen MPH yet, because I never get on the ride.. Sigh, maybe this year.

I did see Roz in DLR and she was very funny. To my son (16) she stated: "Hey young man in the third row, I like your glasses. Your quite a hunkster, I'll be in your closet tonight."

Yeah.. we may never let him live down that "Hunkster" title. :D

Oops, I forgot to mention, I'm moving your thread.. hang on to your Ears!

Imagineer1981
10-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Thats the worst part of FastPass...you miss Mr. Potato Head!!!

brian2000boston
10-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Last year he got me. i was wearinf my sons mickey ears, he was 3 so they are tiny on my head. Mr Potato Head goes, "Hey you! Yeah you, the big fellow with the little ears. Step up here, i want to guess your weight." So I of course said sure, ok give it a guess (in the back of my head thinking weight, this should be fun). He then goes "I'd say you will wait about 15 to 20 more minutes."

LOL

He got me, I thought he was going to say smart remark like 250 - 300 pounds.

joanna71985
10-07-2009, 09:18 PM
I love Mr. Potato Head. He's my favorite part of being at TSM.

artyboy
10-10-2009, 05:05 PM
It was great hanging out with you...and I finally saw him take his ear off, too...mid-conversation I told Jack to shut up...he wasn't pleased!:mickey:

Wadeace
10-10-2009, 06:00 PM
i had lots of fun with you guys.

while i was in line i thought it was just going to be like buzz light-year than i hear him pick out some people from the cue and i was like wooo, than he pulls out his ear, thats when i tried to call you and ask if you had seen it, but alas no reception.