PDA

View Full Version : Going To Step Up To A Moderate Resort-Opinions?

MistressGracey
10-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Hello all!

We just returned from our best-yet WDW vacation, and of course, I'm already thinking about the next one.:blush:

Since we have been to WDW many times, we no longer tour parks at the frantic pace we once did. We now take the parks in small chunks, leaving plenty of time to shop, lounge, etc. Up until this point, we didn't really care where we stayed as long as it was on Disney property because we were only at the resort to sleep and for quick swims. Therefore, we have ALWAYS stayed at Pop Century. Don't get me wrong, I love Pop Century very much. But after a few years, it's getting a little stale. Also, since we do spend more time at the actual resort now, we want to do something new and different next year. Deluxe resorts are not in our budget, so I'd love to have some opinions on the Moderate resorts. Which one is your favorite and why? What we would like is:

1) Good transportation
2) Nice theme
3) Interesting pool area
4) Decent food court
5) Friendly staff-but I believe that is a given at WDW

I'm not very concerned about sit-down restaurants as we actually like to travel around to other resorts and theme parks to dine. Also, I'm not too concerned about room size, since anything will seem big after Pop Century. :D

Thanks all!

prttynpnk
10-05-2009, 10:38 AM
We're in exactly the same boat, so for our November trip we're staying at POR Riverside- so I'd like to hear the opinions too!:mickey:

tiaramom
10-05-2009, 10:39 AM
I am looking for a moderate as well-
I can say this- I've been to POP - and love it...
Does get boring after the third time.
Coronado- is not so kid friendly- and I did not enjoy Port Orleans - long buses or food court.
So- That leaves carribean-????
Animal Kingdom is my most favorite- though expensive!! The best of the best.
If you have the money- splurge.. if not..
Im in the same boat as you this year- carribean or
Pop

vicster
10-05-2009, 10:41 AM
We usually stay at WL and decided the past three years to try a moderate. First we tried CBR - way too large. The past two years we stayed at POFQ and I love it - it's a small resort with very friendly staff.

tiaramom
10-05-2009, 10:50 AM
I thought the theme was cute at Port Orleans- and it was nice and small. Wondering....
when you say too large ( Carribean Beach Resort)
were there internal buses to each section-
I dont like too many buses.
Did you go with toddlers?

vicster
10-05-2009, 10:58 AM
I thought the theme was cute at Port Orleans- and it was nice and small. Wondering....
when you say too large ( Carribean Beach Resort)
were there internal buses to each section-
I dont like too many buses.
Did you go with toddlers?

Each island had their own bus stop but depending which building you're in there were even buses to the food court. That resort was way too large for me. I don't remember which building we were in (I think it was in Egypt - haha) but forget walking to the food court for a cup of coffee. The grounds were beautiful but the resort was just too large for me. We've been going to WDW for many years and that resort was the worse check-in we've ever had.

deedeebee
10-05-2009, 11:06 AM
We LOVE POR, in July we stayed at the Poly, we actually missed POR:thumbsup: It has a nice relaxing pace. Lots of bus stops, good food court, quiet pools and a nice slide at the main pool area, Bob in the lounge, lots of extras that you don't get at the value resorts. A great place to go back to after the busy days at the parks. We are planning our next visit now:cloud9: If you choose this resort, you will love it:number1:

tiaramom
10-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Yes- I would not enjoy those buses either- ok
You made my mind up on that one. What about WL- buses? one pool? Is it heated in Feb?
Just some questions-
I wanted to try another resort- just dont wasnt to pay an arm and a leg- and my persian cat to go in Feb. We too- are looking to enjoy some resort time- and it may not be super hot to swim. Thinking....
I know WL isnt that pricey-

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-05-2009, 11:47 AM
We're POFQ fans!

We really enjoy the small size of the resort, nothing is too far away. The pool is nice, DH loves the pool-side bar, the main building houses a good food court and the bus stop is close to all buildings.

We also take advantage of the pool at POR and the boat to DTD.

DH likes the theming, and DD won't stay anywhere else, the pools are her favourites. We've only visited the values, but found them rather busy and loud. POFQ is quaint, quiet and we've never had any major problems.

The biggest concern about POFQ is that you can share busses with POR, but we've had that happen less and less each time we're there, and it really doesn't matter anyways, since FQ is the first stop picked up, so you always get a seat :thumbsup:

ajpa
10-05-2009, 12:41 PM
We've only tried 2 resorts, All Star & POFQ, so I'm no expert.

What I like about POFQ is that the entire resort is small so that no matter what bldg you are assigned, you don't have to walk very far. Also it is very quiet & peaceful in the rooms. The bus stops here first so you get first crack at seats before it goes to PO-Riverside. There is a boat service to DTD but I don't think we used it (don't remember why). I also like that you can rent a cot; even though there were just 4 of us, we did that and the unnamed sleep-kicker got her own bed.
The pool is small and it has a dragon that my younger kid thought was cool. You can go over to POR and use their pool) and other amenities too since they are sister resorts.

There is usually live music off the lobby which I liked but my DD didn't (LOL).
My one complaint is that check-in took forever when we were there (just our luck).

This year we will try Coronado Springs. I have also heard lots of good things about it and am quite excited. :)

hth,
aj

vicster
10-05-2009, 12:47 PM
This year we will try Coronado Springs. I have also heard lots of good things about it and am quite excited. :)

hth,
aj

Coronado Springs has the best food court!

bruin1344
10-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Ive stayed at Coronado Springs and PO Riverside when it was Dixie Landings. I liked them pretty much the same. They are definitely an upgrade over the values in terms of theming, crowds, and noise. I think CS is little closer to the parks than PO but i could be wrong.

BigRedDad
10-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Its been a long time for me, but Coronado Springs was an excellent resort. Great pool, great food court, great atmosphere with the lake, bar/nightclub.

MidnTPK
10-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Make sure you look into the Swan & Dolphin, which can often be had for moderate prices. It's luxury accommodations, often at moderate prices, and walking distance (or boat ride) to DHS, Epcot, and the Boardwalk.

KayDee
10-05-2009, 06:55 PM
I can vouch for POR being a good pick for all your points. I feel POR is a good in all areas food court bus service pools and nice staff.Also POR has some of the best grounds and is the best morning walk I have ever had.
Now one thing I should mention is that we were just like you value value value. Then we did POR it was awsome. The only downside was,that on our next trip we booked ASMu we checked in we checked out the next day and went to POR.Now we have a DVC. Once you start down the moderate path forever it will consume your well a you get it.

stitchaholic
10-05-2009, 07:05 PM
) Good transportation- CSR has 4 bus stops,we never had to wait longer than 5 minutes per bus,and there were always seats

2) Nice theme- CSR is beautiful,hammocks,beach,beautiful walkways

3) Interesting pool area- the dig site pool was amazing,really cool,well heated,great slide,a pyramid,and a hottub,loved it there!

4) Decent food court-pepper market is prettu good,different than reg food courts,somewhere in between table and counter

queen or king sized beds!

MistressGracey
10-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Wow, thanks everyone! I am now perusing a website that has dozens of pics of each WDW resort, including pools and interiors of the rooms! That together with all this wonderful info should make my decision fairly easy! :thumbsup:

Iluvpooh
10-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Another vote for CSR.
Looks like you found all ears net ?!

MistressGracey
10-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Yes! I actually have been a huge fan of this site for years! It second, IMO, only to Intercot.:cloud9:

buzz2001
10-07-2009, 11:04 AM
CSR!! Queen beds, great main pool, terrific transportation and its in a good location for quick rides to the parks.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-08-2009, 08:47 AM
We've been loyal fans of POR up until this last trip. It's pretty and all, the pool is nice, fun theming, BUT....we've decided it is just too darn big. I know all of the resorts are big, but this one takes the cake. I was really wishing we had opted for either CSR or POFQ. I think CBR is just as big as POR-so I'd go for one of the others. Had troubles finding seating in the food courts, even at "off meal" times, very crowded at all times of day or night in the check in areas. I guess my patience levels are decreasing as I get older!

vicster
10-08-2009, 08:58 AM
We've been loyal fans of POR up until this last trip. It's pretty and all, the pool is nice, fun theming, BUT....we've decided it is just too darn big. I know all of the resorts are big, but this one takes the cake. I was really wishing we had opted for either CSR or POFQ. I think CBR is just as big as POR-so I'd go for one of the others. Had troubles finding seating in the food courts, even at "off meal" times, very crowded at all times of day or night in the check in areas. I guess my patience levels are decreasing as I get older!

That' exact why I like POFQ - it's a much smaller resort. Stayed at CBR two years ago and it's just too large.

kemps@wdw
10-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Have stayed @ the CBR but found transportation takes longer than I want to to give it. We then decided to try WL, since @ the time we got a GREAT upgrade rate. Once there, we realized we found our new WDW home. Since we, like you, don't do WDW commando style anymore since our DD is older, we find ourselves utilizing our resort more, and wanted something a little more laid back. WL has all we want. And the little extra we paid is worth it. We have had all views and preferred the courtyard view above the rest. Kicked back on our balcony overlooking the pool, pool bar, the geyser, and Bay Lake is awsome. Having my morning coffee, in my PJ's, on the dock @ sunrise...:cloud9:. The light parade on the lake comes right to our beach. Theming is wonderful and very soothing. Less expensive than the other deluxes. And, we seem to spend less time on transportation than @ any other resort we've stayed at. :thumbsup:

darthmacho
10-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Hello all!

What we would like is:

1) Good transportation
2) Nice theme
3) Interesting pool area
4) Decent food court

Thanks all!

1.) Can't speak on this too much. We've rented cars on all of our trips. I would guess that transportation would be comporable at all Moderates, since none of them are too close to the parks. Keep in mind that POR and POFQ share transportation.

2. Theming is subjective. Personally, I like the themes of ALL the moderates, but my favorite is Coronado Springs. Wonderful theming and landscaping there.

3. Coronado had an interesting pool area, an (Aztec?) temple with a waterfall! There were also several "quiet pools" in the Casitas. Not sure how the pools are at the other moderates.

4. The food court at Coronado was interesting, if a little confusing. It had the look and feel of a market, and you had to go to each stall and fill out a card or something, then eat, and then pay at the end. The food and decor were great, but the set-up was almost silly. Food courts should be simple: order, grab, pay, sit, eat, leave. I don't know if they still use the same system, but back in 1999 it was a little too elaborate for my taste.

5. We experienced friendly staff at our stay at Coronado, and when we visited Carribean, but it's hard to say what your experience will be. I always thought friendly service at WDW was a given too, but recently there were mixed reviews here on service at the resort at which I plan to stay next year, PORiverside. I hope the service improves before I get there.

I hope any of this helped. My opinion is that the moderates have comparable amenities, so if you are having a hard time choosing, look at lots of pictures online and pick which one you think has the best theme for you. Good luck! :mickey:

Disney Doll
10-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Coronado is our moderate of choice. Love it!