PDA

View Full Version : end of January too cold to swim?

apequet
10-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Thinking about planning our next trip to Disney and we want to stay at PO french quarter. Do you think at the end of January - will the dragon pool be open and will it be warm enough for us to enjoy it? Thanks everyone!

Strmchsr
10-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Weather can vary greatly in January, but yes, it is possible to swim in January. The pools are heated. You might freeze between the pool and the room, but you can at least get in the water. I suggest you check the historic weather conditions page in Info Central. That will show you exact conditions for your dates over the last few years. You can see for yourself better what I'm talking about.

Disney Doll
10-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Personally, I think it usually is too cold to swim in January, but yes the pools are heated and I always see at least a few people swimming no matter what.

sisterslovindisney
10-05-2009, 08:35 AM
We always swim in January. We average over 100 inches of snow a year where we live so Florida January weather is balmy for us :)

TheRustyScupper
10-05-2009, 08:35 AM
1) Yes.
2) No.
3) Kinda-sorta.
4) Maybe.

5) Florida January weather is rolling the dice.
6) It could be t-shirts and shorts, or parkas and mittens.
7) Bring your swimsuit, as *usually* you get a chance to use it.

Marilyn Michetti
10-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree with Sisterslovindisney. We live in Az., and have a different perspective on what's cold and what isn't. The folks from Maine don't think a thing about it, I'm dressed for the Arctic.:freeze:

ThanxForNoticin
10-05-2009, 12:24 PM
We have been at Disney in late January several times. With the exception of one trip, there was at least a day or two where it was warm enough to enjoy the pool in the afternoon. I remember one trip where the temps were in the 80s - although that was unusual. But the pools will definitely be open. In fact, unless it gets really cold, one of the water parks will be open, too.

mudpuppysmom
10-05-2009, 02:47 PM
We've been to WDW in the "winter" and while it is cooler for some (warmer for us) you can usually squeeze in some pool time!

As someone else said, what is cold to some is warm to others....it's all perspective.

DVC2004
10-05-2009, 02:50 PM
From Chicago, and we don't swim unless it's near 80. So in January at WDW we never swim. But as everyone said the pools are open so you can judge for yourself. Bring your swim stuff anyway!

apequet
10-05-2009, 08:23 PM
We are from Michigan, so we are use to the cold. We are use to warm one day and freezing the next, so we'll probably be ok...thanks everyone!

hubbyofadisneyholic
10-05-2009, 08:32 PM
It was December, not January and we were staying at ASMu. My daughter REALLY wanted to go to the pool even though the temp was in the 50s. My wife said no way was she going swimming, so guess who got to do it?

There were a total of 3 of us in the pool. Me, my daughter and a little girl from Canada. :blush:

threeh
10-07-2009, 03:10 PM
We are from near Lake Erie, PA and have gone in January and I think leaving behind snow up to your eyeballs makes Florida seem like a dream. It was in the 70's last trip and my kids swam quite a few times. The pools are nicely heated.
I have heard something like it's all the folks from far up north in the pools this time of year. ha ha. Love the end of January, great time to go, have fun!!!!

rubato
10-08-2009, 10:45 AM
We'll be there this year at the end of January. My husband and son will be in the pool everyday. I will watch, but there's no way I want to get wet. Unless it's in the 80s, which it could be.

blondie219
10-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Are all of the pools heated, even the ones at the Value Resorts? We will be at the ASMu the frist week of December, I didn't know if we should even bother packing the swimsuits.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-12-2009, 09:35 PM
We are from Michigan, so we are use to the cold. We are use to warm one day and freezing the next, so we'll probably be ok...thanks everyone!

Hello my "mitten"state neighbor! Funny thing... I just posted our January swim experience on another thread a few mintues ago. There were 6 of us on a trip in January. The 3 weird couples that we were at the time, we couldn't go back home to MI from floriday without saying we got to swim. So, one night, it was maybe 50 degrees and we did it. We had our winter coats on (the ones that we were about to leave in the car at the airport!) over our bathing suits and went to the pool. It looked like the pool was boiling because of the steam rising from it. So, we dove in. It was the 6 of us. No one else in site for a long time! Then 3 others came to swim... they were from Toledo, OH. So, we were the only ones out there!

We ran back cold, wet and a bit tipsy to our villas. :bolt:

And we got to say that we swam on our vacation.