PDA

View Full Version : Public transp. VS. Driving

Twinkletoes77705
10-04-2009, 06:33 PM
We will be satying at Pop W Jan. 16th - 23rd. What are the pros and cons of public transportation or driving your own car. What would you prefer and why. I am just wondering in it is worth the wait to not have to park and drive...or if it is better to just drive and park. Also is there special parking for wheelchairs (HC)?

faline
10-04-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm guessing that you're referring to Dinsey transportation? We generally use Disney transportation though many do prefer to drove themselves. There is parking for those with handicapped plates and or tags. Additionally, there is specific parking for parades and shows for those who utlize wheelchairs.

A Big Kid
10-05-2009, 07:17 AM
About every third or fourth time we go to WDW, we drive (maily to remind us how much more convenient flying is).

Even when we drive to WDW, we never drive around WDW. Our car just collects dust in the parking lot until we leave.

I'd rather not be bothered with drving, making wrong turns, looking for parking spaces, walking 10 miles from the parking space to the gate,,,,,and most of all, getting stuck in a traffic jam at the end of the day.

Disney Doll
10-05-2009, 07:26 AM
We always rent a car when mom comes because she prefers not to hassle with bringing her ECV on the buses. She does have a handicapped tag so we park up front in the handicap spaces. We bring our GPS and navigating isn't a problem. We get right in and right out, but I've often wondered how it would be different if we weren't parking in the handicapped lot. Those spaces are pretty convenient. If you have the handicapped tag I'd drive. It's super convenient and so much easier to load and unload a EVC or wheelchair when you have your own vehicle.

Twinkletoes77705
10-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks...that is one thing that bothers me (loading wheelchair on bus) I feel bad when they tell us to come to front of line. I mean some people get very irritated. I look at it this way...I wish my son had his legs and we would not HAVE to use a wheelchair....i wish he was not blind. I just dont get it. people sometimes act like your an inconveionce to them. ho knows...someday maybe they will understand. Not that I would wish that upon ANYONE, I just think in time we ALL have someone in our life that needs extra help. Still not sure...I LOVE THE GPS IDEA!!!! :thumbsup:

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-05-2009, 03:16 PM
When we drive down we do both. Here's our 2 cents:

1. Disney Transportation to MK - we always ride the bus to MK because we don't wnt to have to park and then catch another transportation to the gate.

2. We usually drive in the morning so we can come home quickly for a nap/swim, whatever. Then, if it is just DH and I going out at night, Disney transport is our designated driver! If we have the kids at night, then we drive so we aren't waiting in the crowds to leave with tired cranky kids. I'd rather be in a car sitting in traffic while only DH and I are inconvenienced by our kids' meltdowns.

Twinkletoes77705
10-05-2009, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=I'd rather be in a car sitting in traffic while only DH and I are inconvenienced by our kids' meltdowns.[/QUOTE]

TOTALY AGREE!

DisneyFr33k
10-06-2009, 08:49 AM
We drove down one time and like one of the posts above, let our car sit for the entire week. We like letting Disney navigate the roades and spend money on gas rather than us! :thumbsup:

Running_Bell
10-06-2009, 10:43 AM
For us... it just doesn't feel like we are at Disney unless we're on the monorail, boat or bus transportation. We just think it makes it less special when we are in our car.... we are in that every day back home.

DisneyFr33k
10-06-2009, 12:03 PM
For us... it just doesn't feel like we are at Disney unless we're on the monorail, boat or bus transportation. We just think it makes it less special when we are in our car.... we are in that every day back home.

Amen to that!! Plus, we've had some really memorable bus drivers that joked, played trivia games, sang etc.

Twinkletoes77705
10-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Amen to that!! Plus, we've had some really memorable bus drivers that joked, played trivia games, sang etc.
You know what...you are so right...both of you are...some of the magic is being on the busses. I think I might stick with what I know works. Oh well if people dont like the fact we get infront of line...it is few that are like that and I am not goint o let that rain on my parade!!!! :party:

bruin1344
10-07-2009, 01:06 PM
i prefer disney transportation to save money on rental car, you really dont need it unless you are leaving the property to go to orlando, universal studios, etc. The only time disney transportation annoys me is when I stay at a value resort and the buses are overcrowded or the lines are long to get on. Maybe a car comes in handy if you're on a strict time schedule and cant deal with waiting for buses.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-07-2009, 02:15 PM
I just want to clarify... we never rent a car. We only use our own transportation when we drive down.

We have only rented prior to Magical Express. Those were also the days of staying off property.

PETE FROM NYC
10-07-2009, 05:47 PM
We drove down for our trip last month for the first time.Each prior trip we flew .
DW and I are bith ECV users, we had hers in the back of the car and I rented one from a outside source. We used the WDW buses for all of our park visits and were very pleased doing it that way. No way I could do 2 ECVs in the car.

Sashacrab
10-08-2009, 06:07 PM
We drive down to Disney. We stayed at POP 2 years ago and took the bus once. After waiting a loooooooooong time to get on and then again waiting a loooooooooong time for the return bus, we decided we'd never do that again. Sometimes we stay offsite and our friends stay onsite. We are back at our condo 15 - 30 minutes before they get back to their room. Yes, they have handicap parking. You follow a different color line painted on the pavement.

mouse2508
10-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Well, I throw in my family's 2 cents: we like both. If you're traveling from resort to resort, the car is VERY convenient (have you tried to get from the Port Orleans FQ to Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner?!). That said, we don't take the car to every park; some days it sits idle at the hotel (I know, sounds like a waste; took me a couple trips doing this to relax and understand we were really maximizing use of ALL transportation available). Depending on when we plan to exit the park will influence our decision; for example leaving MK after Wishes the public transportation is VERY crowded so it's nice to have the car. Another idea : we've taken the car on early entrance day and parked in a prime spot, left around lunchtime and used the public transportation to leave/return to the park; when it was time to leave for the night our car was right up front! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I cannot speak to the wheelchair needs; I pray others will exercise patience and understanding for your situation and for you to have the strength to meet the every day challenges you must face.

DisneyFr33k
10-11-2009, 02:36 PM
You know what...you are so right...both of you are...some of the magic is being on the busses. I think I might stick with what I know works. Oh well if people dont like the fact we get infront of line...it is few that are like that and I am not goint o let that rain on my parade!!!! :party:

Good for you!! And, anyone who would judge you in a negative way because your son uses a wheelchair due to the fact he cannot walk or see needs to be somewhere else! Disney is for everyone to enjoy. I'm happy to wait while your son is loaded onto the bus.