PDA

View Full Version : Scooter and Bigh D - 50th Bday! Day 2

scooterca42
10-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Cast – Big D – this trip is his 50th birthday celebration
Scooter (me) – a bit younger than Big D, planner and plotter
Staying at All Star Sports on Free Dining plan (regular, not quick service) from Sept 21 - 27

Day 2

I noticed something about this trip. We're a bit older, and we've been twice in the last four years - this is our third - it wasn't so much a "get up and go go go" feeling as we had the last couple of times. We're comfortable here now, we know what we like and we were going out of our way to find new experiences. :thumbsup:

We'd never been to Downtown Disney to explore - last time we spent a couple hours in the Marketplace, but this time we had Disneyquest access and we were darn well going to use it! It's a great place. We did the Animation thing, and designed our own rollercoasters - THAT was a trip! We did some shopping and pin trading, had a sundae at Ghiradelli's, and lunch at Earl of Sandwich.

We took more time than planned, so I had to text my friend in Toronto (who was more familiar with the interpark transportation than I) about how best to make it to World Showcase for our ADR at Chefs de France. Friendship from the Boardwalk! We thoroughly enjoyed the ride, and we made certain to do it again later.

Chefs de France was an excellent meal - we had the Prixe Fixe meal as it had everything we wanted - French onion soup, salmon for me and chicken for Big D, and crθme brulee for dessert. The servers gathered and sang "Bonne Fete" - "Happy Birthday" - and I got a photo of it!:party:

We took the Friendship back to the Studios from International Gateway. No Fantasmic, but EMH - and I found out that yes, they do check your key cards at the rides. We did Tower of Terror in the dark - woo hoo! And then we lined up for Rockin Rollercoaster.

Oh, my word. We got into the queue just as one of the trains launched and Big D actually jumped! "What the heck, we're getting on THAT?" quoth he, and the folks behind us laughed - they were old hands. We had a wonderful time on this coaster - smooth! And Big D had no issue with his height and the restraints! We had never had the chance to ride it, the last two times we were here it was in refurb, and I have to say I think it's supplanted Tower of Terror as my favourite ride in the world.:)

We wandered through the shops and out just before closing. We had brought some stuffies - a Pooh, and witch Minnie and vampire Mickey - they were set in a scene in our window, along with a towel bat and pumpkin! And, inside was a birthday card from Mickey himself! What a treat! We took photos, then changed for a dip before crashing for the night.

Firsts - Disneyquest, visiting the Boardwalk, the Friendship, eating at Chefs de France, Tower of Terror at night (COOL), Rockin Rollercoaster (WAY COOL). Towel animals and a birthday card!

Tips - Have a friend in T.O. (hey, "H") who knows more than you about how to get around the parks.. ;) )

LittleRoosMommy
10-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Another great day! We're planning on taking it easy on our upcoming trip as well. We'll see if it actually happens! LOL

vizsla
10-05-2009, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the report.

CanadianWDWFan
10-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks for sharing your day with us!

Gotta LOVE Rockn' Rollercoaster!!

DizNee143
10-05-2009, 10:29 AM
a great day at disneyquest..downtown disney epcot and mgm!! you guys sure did manage to get alot done in one day!!:mickey:

pdrlkr
10-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

KylesMom
10-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Tower of Terror at night (COOL), Rockin Rollercoaster (WAY COOL)

Yep, say no more - those are my family's faves at DHS. Funny, the older I get, the more I appreciate these two attractions. Great day, and a great meal at Chefs de France! I don't think you could have asked for more today! :mickey:

faline
10-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Terrific day - start to finish!

Funny! I've done almost everything Disney but have never, ever ventured inside of Disney Quest!

ChipDale
10-11-2009, 12:54 PM
What fun day (and night)! :mickey: Sounds like a really good birthday celebration so far - thanks for sharing. :)

Mickeydream
10-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Sounds like a fun-filled day!! Thanks for the report.