PDA

View Full Version : Germicidal Surface Disinfectant Cloths

Ltmoko
10-03-2009, 12:18 PM
We are going to bring something to wipe off ride handles,phones,remotes and such. We are not germafobes but, want to be careful. Anyone have a suggestion on what to buy? I think we want the individual packets or small packs, do want to carry around a tub. We are kind of worried about H1N1 and the regular flu. Thanks.

Disney4us2
10-03-2009, 01:22 PM
The individual packets are great. I have also seen larger mulit use packets in the travel section at Walmart.

I too wipe everything down. I am not a germaphobe, but you never know what the previous guests were like. I even do the toilet.:blush:

TheRustyScupper
10-03-2009, 05:55 PM
We are going to bring something to wipe off ride handles,phones,remotes and such.

1) WOW.
2) Don't forget
. . . handrails while in ride lines
. . . ropes while in ride lines
. . . chairs before you slide them at meals
. . . handling souvenirs in stores that others looked at
. . . ride seats, to keep your clothes clean
. . . your arms after sweaty people brush them
. . . counters you lean on while waiting for fast food
. . . coins given as change when you buy something
. . . etc
3) You can try to reduce the danger.
4) But, there is no way to prevent it.
5) Except staying at home, and in the house.

Ltmoko
10-03-2009, 07:10 PM
LOL!!! I guess I did not think long enough about all of this.

g8rgirl29
10-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I think some small purell bottles might be in order if you want to try to fight off some of the germs. Frequent handwashing is your best defense!!

DisneyPrincess21
10-03-2009, 08:00 PM
1) WOW.
2) Don't forget
. . . handrails while in ride lines
. . . ropes while in ride lines
. . . chairs before you slide them at meals
. . . handling souvenirs in stores that others looked at
. . . ride seats, to keep your clothes clean
. . . your arms after sweaty people brush them
. . . counters you lean on while waiting for fast food
. . . coins given as change when you buy something
. . . etc
3) You can try to reduce the danger.
4) But, there is no way to prevent it.
5) Except staying at home, and in the house.

:haha: You crack me up!

TheRustyScupper
10-03-2009, 11:00 PM
:haha: You crack me up!

1) Oops.
2) Forgot a "wipe" for when that happens.

DisneyPrincess21
10-04-2009, 03:45 AM
1) Oops.
2) Forgot a "wipe" for when that happens.

No problem I brought my >:mop:

SBETigg
10-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Regular exposure to germs actually helps keep you healthier by building your resistance. So, use the disinfectant on your hands/frequent handwashing technique, and consider the extras Rusty throws out there as bonus opportunities to help you build your resistance. :thumbsup: You really can't wipe down the whole world. Those small bottles of Purell or pocket wipes are great.

MNNHFLTX
10-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I recommend the small bottles of Purell too. Wipes are good for certain things in the hotel room, like remotes (which can be loaded with germs), but for the parks the sanitizing gel is more practical. That way you could use it before meals and periodically throughout the day to minimize your chance of picking something up. Almost all transmission of bacteria and viruses occur via the hand to mouth or nose route, so just keep that in mind during your day--remember not to put unwashed fingers in either. :)

With that in mind, nothing gives me the heeby-jeebies more than seeing a toddler or pre-schooler putting their mouth right on a railing or rope in a ride queue, with the parents standing by them oblivious. They might as well brush their teeth with toilet water (only toilet water is probably cleaner).

BMan62
10-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Of course, you can always get a large, economy size box of surgical rubber gloves and wear them everywhere! ;)

Mickey'sGirl
10-04-2009, 02:43 PM
With that in mind, nothing gives me the heeby-jeebies more than seeing a toddler or pre-schooler putting their mouth right on a railing or rope in a ride queue, with the parents standing by them oblivious. They might as well brush their teeth with toilet water (only toilet water is probably cleaner).
You must have been following us around in August! Our DS5 is a sensory seeker (he is autistic), and is CONSTANTLY putting things in his mouth. I can't tell you the number of times we caught him running his tongue along a handrail. Made me want to :ack: . We were making jokes about purse sized spray cans of listerine!

I carry a small package of anti-bacterial hand wipes in my purse. Although they aren't "wipe-down" types like the Clorox ones, they are handy for removing :bar: chocolate from faces, as well as wiping down a table top prior to eating.

MinnieMommie
10-05-2009, 07:42 AM
I don't think there is any harm in giving the room a good once over. Things like keyboards and phones are usual suspects for germ transfer. I agree though that we can't avoid being exposed to germs while at WDW or really anywhere. The best thing is to remember that while we will be exposed there are things we can do to minimize the effects. This goes back to the keeping your hands clean (so the liquid antibacterial cleanser is a good thing to bring) and to keep hands away from places like our mouths, nose and eyes. We also want o be respectful of not contaminating others. Be careful when you cough and sneeze! :mickey:

Meteora
10-07-2009, 08:06 PM
I've actually had to read a lot about flu prevention lately, as I'm a hospital volunteer and work in schools as well. Frequent handwashing is definitely your best defense--it should be with hot water and about sixteen seconds in length. (Tell your kids to sing happy birthday twice in their heads while they wash their hands.) In between hand washings, an alcohol based purifying gel is good as well, such as purell. Make sure you get one that is mostly alcohol, not mostly scent! And, of course, tell your kids to try not to touch their eyes, noses, or mouths. And maybe teach them the "elbow sneeze."

But honestly, your kids probably have a much better chance of catching the flu in school than they do in WDW. Try not to make yourself too crazy. There's only so much you can do.

Ltmoko
10-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I think we are just gonna give the room a once over, wash hands frequently, and use purell when needed. Was not really going to go crazy....

Dsnygirl
10-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Just an additional tidbit... we carry the anti-bacterial wipes in the parks, but I also bring the little travel size Lysol with us and spray down the stuff in our room vs. wiping it -- Lysol works a lot better on surfaces such as phones, handles and bathroom surfaces, and the travel one is really small and easy to bring. Just an idea that's worked well for us... :)

(and in today's world, going a little crazy is ok... I got sick our first trip down, I think from the plane ride, and I even wipe down the armrests/TV remote area on the plane now! :blush:)

Jen C.
10-10-2009, 07:17 PM
We also always wipe down our area on the plane,~the armrest, lap trays, seat buckles. In addition, I when entering my hotel room, remove the bed cover, and wipe down with disinfectiong wipes the entire bathroom, counter surfaces, remotes, phones, and especially the "leather holder" that holds all of the resort info. I always carry hand sanitizer in the parks. I don't use it after every ride, but there is something about disinfecting areas that I will be spending more than 5 minutes or so.
I do not consifer myself a germophob, but my DH would probably beg to differ. I have been know to bring my own pillowcases and even sheets if room in the luggage allows. :secret: I know, that's a little over the top.