PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Olympic Bid - CHICAGO!

KylesMom
10-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Pins & Needles - I can only HOPE that Chicago wins the bid tomorrow for the 2016 Summer Olympics. Keep your fingers crossed, everyone! :mickey:

sportsguy2315
10-02-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm rooting for Chicago too; my only question is why are they building a temporary stadium when Soldier Field is perfect for this type of event?

KylesMom
10-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Soldier Field, built in the 20's & "refurbed" in '03 is actually the smallest stadium in the NFL, I believe. It only houses 61k people.

If you think about the Sydney, Australia venue, it was temporarily built up to house 110k+ folks. They later downsized it, but with the athletes, guests, family & press, you need a venue of this size.

There is no way that they could alter Soldier Field again - there's no way it could be what the Olympic Opening Ceremonies should be.

Ian
10-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Soldier Field, built in the 20's & "refurbed" in '03 is actually the smallest stadium in the NFL, I believe. It only houses 61k people.It's definitely not the smallest if it holds 61,000 ... Lincoln Financial Field, where the Eagles play, only holds about 45,000 I think.

Anyway, be careful what you wish for ... I had friends who lived in Atlanta when the '96 games were played there and every single one of them, once it was over, said it was the worst experience of their lives.

You're trying to go about your business and traffic is snarled everywhere, roads are closed, everyplace is packed ... it's not all pomp and circumstance. There's a lot of headaches that go along with it, especially for the Average Joe's that still have to to go work.

seanyred
10-02-2009, 07:56 AM
It's definitely not the smallest if it holds 61,000 ... Lincoln Financial Field, where the Eagles play, only holds about 45,000 I think.

Anyway, be careful what you wish for ... I had friends who lived in Atlanta when the '96 games were played there and every single one of them, once it was over, said it was the worst experience of their lives.

You're trying to go about your business and traffic is snarled everywhere, roads are closed, everyplace is packed ... it's not all pomp and circumstance. There's a lot of headaches that go along with it, especially for the Average Joe's that still have to to go work.

With regards to the Stadium if we get the Olympics the new Olympic Stadium that is to be built on the South Lake Shore is supposed to hold over 80,000 and will be closer to the heart of the Olympic Village. Soldier Field will be used but not for closing/opening ceremonies and track/field.

As for the traffic..Not sure if you visited here before Ian but traffic is miserable everyday. I'll take the bad with good. I hope Chicago gets the Olympics. :number1:

Ian
10-02-2009, 08:36 AM
As for the traffic..Not sure if you visited here before Ian but traffic is miserable everyday. I'll take the bad with good. I hope Chicago gets the Olympics. :number1:Ha ha ha ha ... Okay, well if we're all still around here in 2016 check back in and tell me if you still feel that way!

diz_girl
10-02-2009, 09:15 AM
I've thought that Philadelphia would be a perfect city to host the Olympics, so I was a little sore when Chicago got the U.S. nomination. Good luck Chicago, but I was secretly hoping that they won't get it and Philadelphia could have a chance for 2020. :thedolls:

Scar
10-02-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm predicting that Chicago has already won. I don't believe The President would have gone if there were a chance he would fail. We shall see...

btharvey
10-02-2009, 10:38 AM
A friend of ours from Chicago is hoping for it too. Gives her something else to look forward to when visiting family. :blush:

KylesMom
10-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Well, I guess we won't have to worry about traffic in 2016 - Chicago was eliminated in the first round. :(

seanyred
10-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Well, I guess we won't have to worry about traffic in 2016 - Chicago was eliminated in the first round. :(

Yeah...I won't have to worry about the traffic either. I can't believe it we were eliminated in the first round...I would have at least though it would have been a closer race to the end.

Now only Madrid and Rio are left and we all know what that means. Congrats to Rio...I guess playing the "South America has never had the Olympics" Card worked for you.

Ian
10-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Sorry, Chicago!

Scar
10-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm predicting that Chicago has already won. I don't believe The President would have gone if there were a chance he would fail. We shall see...I was wrong. Go Philly 2020!