PDA

View Full Version : airfare question

ajpa
09-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Is there a "sweet spot" in number of days before a trip when low airfares become available?

(Our trip is Dec 12 - 19)

Thanks!
aj in PA

Strmchsr
09-30-2009, 06:06 PM
I haven't really noticed a patten related to number of days. I do notice season patterns (like higher during summer or around Christmas). Mostly I've found to check every day and use things like Southwest's Ding until a sale comes up. The I snatch it up right away. Sometimes the sale comes WAY in advance and sometimes' it's closer then I would like.

CanadianWDWFan
09-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Your guess is as good as mine. :confused:

Like Chris says, check everyday. Once it hits the price you want then buy it.

I have noticed though that the prices are generally cheaper the further out you are.

TheRustyScupper
09-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Is there a "sweet spot" in number of days before a trip when low airfares become available?

1) Not really,
2) Airlines don't know when YOU are traveling. *
3) So, they don't adjust their fare for YOUR family.
4) However, Tuesday evenings are the best time to try.
. . . airlines usually release their fares on Tuesdays
. . . Tuesdays are the least shopped day, even for malls, etc
. . . if the fares are down early in the morn, other carriers follow by evening.

* However, fares are lower during the >30 day and >14 day periods before a trip.

NotaGeek
09-30-2009, 06:50 PM
To be completely honest the search for great deals on airfare can really come back to bite you ... the best thing to do is figure out what you're willing to spend. If you find tickets in your budget buy them and don't look back. If you happen to find cheaper tickets most airlines will give you residual credit for the extra money, but at the end of the day ... what's most important should be that you buy tickets in your budget range on a dependable carrier for times that fit your schedule.

I have seen SO many people miss their opportunity and then airfares never come down in price. Remember, the less available seats, the higher the price is the general rule!