PDA

View Full Version : Room recommendations- Grand Californian

disneywith3boys
09-30-2009, 04:40 PM
We will just have a standard view room for our stay at the Grand Californian. Anyone that has stayed with this view...what is a good room to request....something not too far away from lobby/theme parks, etc. Also, someplace quiet...do they have balconies on all rooms? We have 3 small boys and want to get to our room quickly. Not sure how the hotel is layed out...what tower/floor/specific room??

NewDVCowner
09-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Not sure if I can answer all your questions, especially because I've completely forgotten the room number we were in, however we were in a standard view in July. From what I saw all of the rooms had a balcony, however it wasn't very big. It had a small table and two chairs but that was it. Our room looked out into a courtyard area which was very nice. The Monorail ran through it and when we first walked into the room and opened the window the Monorail was running through. We were all thinking that it was going to be a very loud room, but it wasn't at all. I believe we were on the fourth floor. Probably the best thing to request is something close to the elevators. There is only one set at the Grand Californian and the halls seem to run FOREVER (especially at the end of a long day at the parks). Since there's only one set of elevators being close to the theme park (or not) isn't something to worry about. California Adventure has a private enterance close to the lobby so once you get down to the ground floor you're set. Remember, though, that DCA usually opens several hours after DL (and closes earlier, too) so probably the first park you'll want to go to in the morning is DL. DCA usually opens around 10:00, compared to 8, or so for DL.

NotaGeek
09-30-2009, 06:19 PM
We will just have a standard view room for our stay at the Grand Californian. Anyone that has stayed with this view...what is a good room to request....something not too far away from lobby/theme parks, etc. Also, someplace quiet...do they have balconies on all rooms? We have 3 small boys and want to get to our room quickly. Not sure how the hotel is layed out...what tower/floor/specific room??
I was fortunate enough to bunk in with some awesome friends at the GCH last March and we had a standard view room right off the Lobby and it was amazing ... and the perfect location. We had a room with 2 queen beds and a day bed, the room was huge, the balcony had no real "view" but it was still nice to have ... just ask for something near the lobby with a daybed and you're Golden! :mickey:

BrerGnat
09-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Ask for a "courtyard" view. These rooms overlook the (VERY QUIET) inner courtyard of the hotel where the monorail goes through. They are all located pretty close to the lobby.

When will you be there? The GCH is currently undergoing refurbishment of the rooms (soft goods) to make it "match" the new wing. They are going from the top down, and are closing off large sections of the hotel at a time, so your options may be limited, depending on when you will be coming.

The standard rooms are generally all located close to the lobby. They either overlook the front entrance, or the inner courtyard. The rest of the "views" are premium priced ones (Downtown Disney, and Theme Park).

The new "wing" has rooms that are all either Pool or Theme Park view rooms (from what I read), so I don't think you'd be put there in a standard room.

And, for the record, there ARE more than one bank of elevators at GCH. There is an additional set in a little alcove located next to the entrance of Napa Rose. There is a door that leads to a little room with a sofa and some chairs. There are elevators in there that lead up to the floors of the hotel, sort of midway between the lobby and the ends of the (really long) wing that juts out towards Downtown Disney.

There are also "secret exits" that lead right into Downtown Disney, near the La Brea Bakery shop. It's a one way door...you can't go into the hotel that way, but you can leave that way.

The hallways at GCH can seem long, but there are other exits/elevators provided than the one in the lobby, FYI.