DH, Mark
DD7, Jenna
my mom (aka MiMa)
my dad (aka BeBop or Dan)
our friends Jenn and Ant
their kids, little Ant 7 and the Moose, 2
for today only: our (great) aunts, Marlene and Gig

Day 6: Epcot

We had morning ADRs for Kona Café, so we were up and out pretty early. It was our turn to wait for the rest of the crew; apparently there were bus issues at WL (this was the day of the “suspicious package” that caused the 3 hour bus delays, but we weren’t aware of it until the end of the day, and I don’t know what time it happened, so I don’t know if that’s why they had problems getting a bus). As soon as I heard Jenn and the crew had gotten on the monorail from MK, I checked us in and assured the CM that we would all be there in a few minutes. We had to wait a few minutes once the crew arrived, and the Moose really didn’t like that. By the time we sat down it was just us, my parents, and little Ant. Jenn and Ant were trying to decide what to do about the Moose. Eventually they brought him in (I think there was a gift shop purchase along the way), and we ordered. I had the macadamia nut and pineapple pancakes, which were fabulous, as always. The kids had the pancakes, Mark had the Big Kahuna (a little of everything), Big Ant had the French Toast (which he declares is the best he’s ever had), MiMa and Jenn both had the ham and cheese omelets (Jenn had hers minus ham), and I can’t remember what BeBop had, although I was disappointed he didn’t try the Tonga Toast. There’s strawberry something in it; perhaps that’s why he didn’t order it. Anyway, we all enjoyed our meal, as usual. We had to pay out of pocket for this one, and for the three of us and my parents, the bill, with tip, was $100. Pretty expensive breakfast, but definitely worth it!

Moose was not doing too well by this point; the tantrum that was pacified before breakfast returned with a vengeance as soon as we finished. They decided to head back to the resort to get him in for a nap, and we started the walk to the TTC for the Epcot monorail. It wasn’t that bad of a walk at all, and pretty soon we were on our way. To me, the Epcot monorail is special, because not everyone does it, and it’s such a nice view of the park as you arrive. Once we got through the lines, I decided to surprise Jenna. I had one day left on a length-of-stay stroller rental from 2007, and we made the decision to use it for our Epcot day. She had really been a trooper up until now, but I knew that we’d be doing a lot of walking and thought she deserved a break. So Mark rented the single stroller…and then went back and paid to upgrade to a double. So it cost us, what? $10 to rent her a stroller. The woman at the rental was pretty impressed that I’d managed to hold onto my receipt for all that time!

We settled in to wait for Aunts Marlene and Gig. Lo and behold, who do we spy coming out of the ECV rental place on a scooter? Marlene and Gig. Now, Marlene and Gig are Mark’s great-aunts, so they’re up there in years, but are generally very active people (they actually outlasted us the last time we did Epcot together!). However, Marlene had had a partial (or maybe full) hip replacement last winter, so her walking is not as great as it used to be. I was very, very happy to see that they had made the decision to rent a scooter. I was planning on renting one for her if she refused.

Anyway, hugs and introductions aside (believe it or not, my parents had never met Marlene & Gig), and the decision was made to head over to the Land. Gig and I went ahead and got FastPasses for the group to ride Soarin’ (well, not my mom) and then we headed over to the Seas with Nemo & Friends. No line at all, which was a really good thing because Marlene was where my mom was at the beginning of the trip—I can’t tell you how many times she crashed while working our way through the queue! They were able to slow the people-mover thing down, which was good for both Marlene and my mom. We all enjoyed the ride, although after seeing the show at AK yesterday, the ride is kind of a letdown!

We explored the aquarium a bit after the ride. I had to find and watch the dolphins for a while (I could have sat there all day, really), and Jenna did a scavenger hunt in one of the rooms. Finally we were all ready to leave, and it was time to use our Fast Passes already! We headed back to the Land and surrendered our Fast Passes. I’d say this was the longest wait of the trip; even with the FPs we waited about 20 minutes. But pretty soon we were getting our flight instructions from the pilot (“It’s Puddy!!”), and not long after that we were Soarin’ over California! We were row 3 which wasn’t the greatest spot, but the scents were all going full blast!

I tried to suggest heading over to grab FPs for Test Track and then heading into World Showcase after the ride, but Jenna really wanted to ride “the ball.” I knew my mom did, too; that ball holds a special spot in our hearts. And yes, I’ll tell you why. We took one family trip to Disney in 1987 (with my real dad; Dan’s my step), and before leaving Epcot decided to ride the ball. I have such a recollection of this—my mom, dad, and baby bro Nick were in the front seat, and my brother Scott (around 9, I think) and I (about 11) were in the back. We started the ascent, and Scott started to freak out. He was deathly afraid of roller coaster (I suspect he still is), and thought that we had tricked him into getting on one. He figured that what comes up, must come down. I spent the better part of that ride trying to corral him and not let him escape the car. My mom and dad really couldn’t do anything from the front seat. (I wonder if my mom remembers that differently?)
Anyway, the decision was made to ride Spaceship Earth (Marlene and Gig were interested to see the changes made since the rehab), so I grabbed everyone’s tickets and speed-walked my way over to Test Track for Fast Passes. I also stopped at Mouse Gear looking for a Dopey sticker for Marlene (but couldn’t find one), found the Kim POssilble station in Innoventions to sign Jenna up for another world-saving mission, hit the rest room, and was making my way over to see if I could get into Project Tomorrow to look for them when they came out.

Continued below

tinksmom02
09-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Continued

Finally, finally, we make our way into the World Showcase. We’re stuck for a minute—do we want to head right, where the margaritas are, or left, towards the UK and fish and chips?—but ultimately the margaritas win out. We head over to the stand, and Jenna checks in with KP in Norway. Cool—the first mission is in Mexico! We all head over and the “grownups” chill out while Jenna, Gig and I save the world. Once the mission was accomplished, I convinced Jenna to start another KidCot mask (another one that won’t get finished, and now that I think of it, I don’t remember unpacking it. Whoops.) Then we head out.

The decision is to head backwards into the UK—BeBop could go for some more fish and chips and Marlene really wants a beer. So we move on. We get to Canada and stop—Off Kilter is performing! I’ve only gotten to watch a few minutes of their show, but it’s awesome, and I know my mom would really enjoy it. I try to let everyone know that they should stay put and I’ll do a beer run, but I guess no one understands me, because as I walk away, everyone starts following me. Sigh. No matter, BeBop gets his fish and chips, and Gig notices that there’s a table available in the pub. Can BeBop bring his food in? Yes, he can! So we settle in and have a round of drinks. No more Harp, unfortunately I have to settle for Stella Artois. Which isn’t bad, but not what I drank when I was in Ireland, so it’s not the same.

Oh, I’d gotten Jenna some popcorn on the way over, so we all relaxed for a few minutes and enjoyed our “snacks.” When Jenna started to get antsy I took her outside and we did the KP mission for the UK. They’re all starting to blend together, but we were behind the shops, by the cast member entrance, and we saw Pooh, Eeyore, and Tigger come out and get ready for their “shift.” We saw Mary Poppins somewhere, too, for the third or fourth time this trip…she always seems to be following us each trip!

I don’t really remember what we did after leaving the UK; I think we headed into France and caught a few minutes of the waiters act with the chairs. Oh, I missed that because I was getting a Grey Goose Slush (no wonder why I can’t remember anything). For some reason Jenna really wanted to do the KP mission in France, so off we went.

That Grey Goose slush hit me really hard (probably because I drank it so fast!), so I stopped drinking for a while after that. We decided that we had just enough time to ride test Track before our dinner reservations, so we headed back to Future World…which always looks like a short walk but never is! But before too long we’re at Test Track, and we walk on…Jenn and little Ant are actually a few people behind us and they didn’t have Fast Passes at all, so we really could have gone without using them.
I think Test Track is an awesome ride; it’s definitely in my top 5 rides at WDW. I always forget how much I like the ending! Jenna loves it, too, she screams “awesome!” throughout the whole ride. We couldn’t get MiMa to ride it, though, and Marlene opted out because of the roughness of the ride. Still, the 5 of us that did ride really enjoyed ourselves.

We leave Test Track and start our mighty long walk back to Germany. When we arrive, Jenna and Mark start a KP mission while I check us in. We only waited a few minutes and then were taken to our table. The cast member who checked us in was very nice…she asked if the people in ECVs would be able to handle “a few stairs” and when I said I didn’t think so, set us up right by the buffet. We had a nice view of the oompah band and were close to the food. Besides, it would’ve been a lot more than “a few” stairs if she’d put us anywhere else!

I made the mistake of telling the waitress that BeBop had a dietary restriction. Well, I don’t really think it was a mistake, but it took a while for the chef to come out, then he had to go back into the kitchen to get his binder of food ingredients, THEN he walked BeBop through the buffet to show him what he should avoid (he can’t have seeds or nuts, I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned that.). I thought it was a nice touch, but I know BeBop felt singled out and he probably hated it. Although there was one thing that he had thought he could eat that turned out to have seeds in it, so that wasted time may have saved him a trip to the hospital!

Oh, we all had drinks, too. Mark and BeBop had those gigantic steins of beer, and I ordered Franzikaner, which was really good, but a ½ liter? Really? I couldn’t even drink half. On top of everything else I’d had that day, the beer was making me feel so bloated, I didn’t even eat that much dinner.

And now on to dinner. It was all pretty good; Marlene wasn’t that impressed, I don’t think, but she had grown up eating homemade German food, so I think those are some pretty big shoes to fill. I don’t remember what I ate, but that I liked some stuff, and some other stuff, not so much. Jenna ate a couple pretzel sticks and I think one mini frankfurter. My mom said the veal was good, if that helps. And I remember that dessert was a letdown—I didn’t really care for any of it. Isn’t black forest cake a German dessert? And what about German Chocolate Cake? That’s what I was in the mood for.

Because of my Crystal Palace screwup, we all had to pay out of pocket for this meal. Mark and I had already agreed that we’d pay for Marlene and Gig, and so I just threw everything on the room charge. Our bill came to $338. That hurt, especially because we were supposed to have used table service for it. Granted, there are eight drinks on that tab and the gratuity was included, but still, it stung. I don’t think we enjoyed the meal that much that we’re in a hurry to return. But, at least we can say that we tried it!

Continued below (yes, it was a LONG day!)

tinksmom02
09-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Continued

After we finished eating, I took Jenna to finish her mission in Germany. By now, I’d had my fill of Kim Possible, so when she was done saving the world (again), we dropped the kimmunicator in the secret location and were done with it. She completed 6 of the 7 missions; I think the only one we missed was Japan.

We caught up with Jenn and the crew while leaving Japan. I was so done by this point…I was bloated and full and cranky. If it were up to me, we would have left. Thankfully it wasn’t up to me, because the decision was made to stay and watch Illuminations (which we had never seen). Marlene and Gig decided to call it a night (they live about an hour away but were using their time share, which is only about ten minutes off property). We said our goodbyes and then Mark walked them to the front of the park while we staked out some decent real estate for the fireworks. Then MiMa called; they were a little further up, did we want to come stand with them? They were right by the boat dock by that big store at the front of the WS; I don’t know what it’s called. Although we had a better viewing area, someone decided to move us all up to where they were. I took Jenna in the shop while we waited; she wanted a Test Track pin and also decided she wanted a nice Minnie Mouse watch; MiMa had said she wanted to buy her a watch, so I convinced her to wait.

Finally it was time for Illuminations. What a beautiful fireworks show! As I mentioned, we didn’t have the greatest view (what with the awning of the dock almost completely blocking our view), but we were able to get the gist. Big Ant thought that the explosion at the beginning was accidental, and got a little worried, but I figured it was all part of the show. And our not so great vantage point actually worked out at the end, because we were that much closer to the exit! Somehow we all got separated on our mad dash to leave, but MiMa called while we were returning the stroller to let us know they made it to the monorail (gee, thanks for waiting. Do you know what I would have been subjected to if I had done that to her?? :nono:). We made a mad dash and actually made it to the monorail before it left, so we were all together after all! (Jenn said they didn’t have any trouble getting on a bus, which leaves me to believe that the “suspicious package” problem had been resolved by this point. Remember, I didn’t know anything about this yet!)

We made it safely back to the TTC and started the trek home…it was definitely a longer walk this time around! In addition, MiMa’s ECV was just about out of juice—I actually had to push her up a couple hills or she would have been stuck! But she knew she was running on borrowed time—she’d been using the thing almost constantly since 10am and it was almost 10pm at this point.

So we made it home and even up to the lounge for a quick snack. There was a message on our phone from the resort general manager, explaining that they had problems with the busses today and apologizing if we’ve experienced any difficulties. We hadn’t, but I thought it was nice that we got a message. It was also strange, because my parents didn’t get a call. Of course, the next morning my parents watched the news and discovered what the problem really was (or what Disney said the problem was, anyway). We all crashed into bed; showers could wait until the morning! It was a long day, but a great one. Marlene and Gig swear that this trip to the World was their last; they say next time we come to Florida we have to go to them (might be kind of hard, what with using Disney transportation and all!). But we enjoyed having the company!

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Wow! What a busy day! You did so much, which is crazy-hard, especially with so many people.

Our DD loved the KP missions too ... we've done all of them now, but she's already asking to do some AGAIN :confused:

princessgirls
09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Busy day! Thanks for sharing the report!!

Julie:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
09-30-2009, 05:51 PM
That was a long day. Lots of people, lots of action. Aren't you glad you stayed for illuminations though? Thats my favorite fireworks show at WDW. Chokes me up everytime. Thanks for the report Christi!

wildernesslady
09-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Sounds like another great day.

tinksmom02
09-30-2009, 09:14 PM
That was a long day. Lots of people, lots of action. Aren't you glad you stayed for illuminations though? Thats my favorite fireworks show at WDW. Chokes me up everytime. Thanks for the report Christi!

I'm glad we stayed, but I wish we had stayed in our original spots and said to heck with the crowds...we enjoyed the show but I think the awning blocked a lot of the view. Oh, well, I guess there's alway next time! :D

faline
09-30-2009, 10:01 PM
I think I'm tired just following you around the park! What a long but very nice day!

Isn't it wonderful to have those childhood memories?! Thanks for sharing with us!

KylesMom
09-30-2009, 10:44 PM
What a wonderfully descriptive (and long-LOVE IT) report!

But pretty soon we were getting our flight instructions from the pilot (“It’s Puddy!!”), We think of him as "Buzz" from the TV show when DS was a young'un! :D

I gotta tell you, it's nice to hear someone else tours in EPCOT like I do! :marg:
Our bill came to $338. That hurt, especially because we were supposed to have used table service for it. Granted, there are eight drinks on that tab and the gratuity was included, but still, it stung. I don’t think we enjoyed the meal that much that we’re in a hurry to return. But, at least we can say that we tried it!
That one had to have hurt. Because in the summertime guests' moods can really affect us, DH has opted not to try this place. I know it's on many folks' favorites, but we've yet to eat here.

I'm SO glad you stayed for Illuminations - this one has a special place in our hearts from Y2K and our DS' first trip. Isn't the music incredibly moving?

Long day - great memories! :mickey:

DizNee143
10-01-2009, 03:27 PM
wow!
what a long day!! but seems it was a very nice funfilled longy day!!! :mickey:

tinksmom02
10-02-2009, 11:21 AM
I gotta tell you, it's nice to hear someone else tours in EPCOT like I do! :marg:

I'm so glad someone else tours like we do, too...otherwise it makes us sound like we have a problem :blush: which we don't...I just like sampling all Epcot has to offer ;)

pdrlkr
10-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: