PDA

View Full Version : WDW Home of the world's worst coffee

PETE FROM NYC
09-29-2009, 07:00 PM
I had read some complaints about the coffee in the last year or so.I did not understand why because on our trip 3/2007 the coffee was decent, not great, but decent.
This trip the coffee was terrible, in the hotel ( POP ),and in the parks too, both CS and TS places. Then someone told me that WDW does not brew their coffee, they get a type of syrup and mix it with hot water. Uggh.
Well, next year we will be staying with DVC and making our own morning coffee.

Damon18
09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Yes, coffee is one thing that Disney does not do well. I can't remember having a good coffee anywhere on property.

miasmom
09-29-2009, 07:50 PM
True, the coffee is awful, but its unique taste has a special place in my heart (if not my stomach) because it is DISNEY coffee.

In fact, the taste is so unique that I bet if I experienced it somewhere outside of the park, my heart would skip a beat and I'd think I was at Disney. (Of course once I came to, I'd have to spit out the coffee.) :ack:

I really, really love coffee, and theirs is really, really bad coffee, but I'm not sure I'd want them to change the coffee. It is an integral part of my Disney experience.

John
09-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Kona Cafe - Espresso Bar outside the restaurant - the coffee and espresso are good.

That's about it...

MistressGracey
09-29-2009, 08:16 PM
I hope that contract Disney signed with Nescafe expires soon...That is one bitter brew!:ack:

PetefromRI
09-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Kona Cafe - Espresso Bar outside the restaurant - the coffee and espresso are good.

That's about it...
I'm with you on this.Kona Cafe has the best coffee in the world.I had a cup at the GF Cafe after dinner and it was also very good.

Tinkermom
09-29-2009, 09:29 PM

That's about it...

Do they still have coffee here? We were at the Poly in July and I swore I saw that the espresso bar was now a sushi bar. We were in a hurry so I am not sure if I am correct.

Polynesian Dweller
09-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Do they still have coffee here? We were at the Poly in July and I swore I saw that the espresso bar was now a sushi bar. We were in a hurry so I am not sure if I am correct.

Yep they do. Until 5pm its the Kona Cafe Coffee Bar but after that the name changes to Kona Island Sushi Bar until 10pm. So you were correct but so are those who see the coffee bar there. Nice and confusing.

Tinkermom
09-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Yep they do. Until 5pm its the Kona Cafe Coffee Bar but after that the name changes to Kona Island Sushi Bar until 10pm. So you were correct but so are those who see the coffee bar there. Nice and confusing.

Thanks so much for clearing this up for me! I thought I had been seeing things! ;)

seanyred
09-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Nescafe is very disgusting. But I agree with previous posts that Kona has the best coffee. I wonder about the coffee at Boma in AKL. I just don't understand why they can't have fresh brewed coffee scattered throughout the resorts and parks.

At least at DL they have fresh brewed coffee at the Market House and you get free refills all day.

TheRustyScupper
09-29-2009, 11:35 PM
1) Let us not be too hasty, or nasty.
2) Nescafé is the world's #1 recognized brand.
3) And, their instant is the world's #1 seller.
4) Somebody has to like it.
5) It must also be recognized that Nescafé makes over 20 different brands.
6) Maybe the one selected by Disney is not your favorite.
7) In the past, park and DTD coffee sponsors have been
. . . Maxwell House, 1955
. . . Hills Brothers, 1958
. . . Columbian Coffee, 1992
. . . Nescafé, 2001 (11 yr contract from 11/1/01)
8) Choc-Full-O-Nuts has a contract with Disney since 1999 only for movies/plays.
9) The current contract excludes special deals for SOME resorts eateries or kiosks.

10) Just in case you think the Nestle contract is for coffee and Mickey Bars, here is the contract language applying to Nestle.

1. Sponsor: Nestle USA, Inc. ("Nestle")
Product or Service: Food and beverage products which include, without
limitation, baking chips (chocolate and non-chocolate) and baking chocolate,
canned pumpkin and prepared pumpkin pie filling; canned tomatoes, tomato sauces,
tomato pastes and tomato purees (excluding Mexican salsas and Mexican sauces);
roasted, ground and soluble coffee; dog and cat foods and treats; dry and
refrigerated pasta; flavored milk and milk flavorings; frozen, dry and
refrigerated entrees, meals and side dishes; frozen juice and fruit novelties on
a stick; frozen water ice novelties on a stick; hot cocoa mixes; ice cream, ice
milk and ice cream and ice milk novelties; infant formula; prepared pasta and
pizza sauces (excluding spaghetti sauce mix without mushrooms); and tea (liquid,
leaf, bag and soluble forms); and bottled still and sparkling water
(nonflavored) baby foods, the following baking products: baking cups, baking
pans, baking powder, baking soda, brownie mix, baking cocoa, cake and cupcake
mix, cake decorations and icing, dried and shredded coconut, evaporated and sweetened condensed milk, frosting (ready to
serve and mix), fruit pectins, protectors and glaze, graham cracker crumbs,
muffin mix, pancake mix, pie and pastry shells (prepared and mix); bread crumbs;
breakfast toaster pastries; canned and frozen vegetables; canned meats; canned
pasta; chocolate syrup; the following dairy items: powdered instant milk,
refrigerated milk and cream, refrigerated milk shakes and drinks, yogurt
(spoonable and drinks); the following dessert items: canned pudding and pie
filling (excluding fruit), frozen baked goods (excluding cookies and bread
items), frozen pudding and gelatin novelties on a stick, frozen whipped topping,
gelatin mix, pudding mix, ready-to-serve single serving canned desserts
(excluding fruit), refrigerated pudding, toppings (liquids and mixes); diet meal
replacement drinks and bars; dry dinner mixes; dry pizza mixes and crusts;
frozen potatoes; frozen yogurt and frozen yogurt novelties; frozen and
refrigerated prepared pizza; frozen waffles, pancakes and French toast; gravies
(other than mixes); gum; honey; instant powdered breakfast mixes; maple and
fruit-flavored syrups; meat-based sandwich spreads; the following Mexican
specialty foods: burrito and enchilada fillings, chiles, Mexican dinner mixes,
retried beans; non-100% Colombian roasted, ground and soluble coffee (including
flavored coffee); non-granola breakfast and non-granola nutritional bars; olive
oil; peanut butter; pet supplies; powdered athletic bulking products; powdered
and liquid creamers; prepared seafood products; the following snack products:
beef jerky, canned dip, dip mixes and refrigerated dip, frozen pizza snacks,
non-granola trail mix, sunflower seeds; and tomato ketchup (collectively "Nestle
Products").

Mickey91
09-29-2009, 11:51 PM
My solution...Fill half with coffee, almost half with hot water, the rest with creamer, six packets of sugar and three ice cubes. Drinkable.:D

Dsnygirl
09-30-2009, 01:01 AM

That's about it...
I totally agree... Kona's coffee and latte's are the best I've had, and I'm a Starbucks girl.

Of course, I also bring my own Starbucks for my room, so the coffee in my room is pretty good, too... :D

stitchaholic
09-30-2009, 06:25 AM
cafe rix also brews real coffee:secret:

rflorek
09-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Can't be any worse then Starbuck's? That has to be the worst, burnt smelling, nasty tasting coffee in the world IMO:ack:. Whenever my family and I are out & see HUGE lines at Starbuck's, we always wonder when people will realize that they're overpaying for a cup of coffee that consistently loses in taste tastes against such inexpensive rivals as Dunkin DOnuts, McDonald's new McCafe, and our local favorite, Law's Coffee:thumbsup:.

MistressGracey
09-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Can't be any worse then Starbuck's? That has to be the worst, burnt smelling, nasty tasting coffee in the world IMO:ack:. Whenever my family and I are out & see HUGE lines at Starbuck's, we always wonder when people will realize that they're overpaying for a cup of coffee that consistently loses in taste tastes against such inexpensive rivals as Dunkin DOnuts, McDonald's new McCafe, and our local favorite, Law's Coffee:thumbsup:.

I totally agree! Dunkin' Donuts is my fave and costs a third of that sludge that comes from Starbucks! :sick: Maybe our local barristas just aren't very good, but I just don't "get" the Starbucks craze...

seanyred
09-30-2009, 08:36 AM
cafe rix also brews real coffee:secret:

Where is Cafe Rix?

ajpa
09-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Does that Morroco spot still have the super strong coffee?

grumpyguy
09-30-2009, 11:56 AM
i have a friend and fellow disney freak who brings her own little coffee maker and coffee for an in room jolt first thing in the mornng!!
yet another reason i'm glad i don't drink coffee!

4myprincesses
09-30-2009, 01:25 PM
I am sure there are people that like Nescafe, but honestly I think most of the appeal is either cost factor, convenience factor, or simply growing up on it/not being exposed to better. To each his or her own, though.

two other thoughts:

I was sad to see that the resorts and the quick service restaurants had moved to the same system for tea instead of brewed. It just is not the same. We love brewed iced tea and now will be making that in the room :(

It seems that I remember reading somewhere that there are a few places that still brew coffee (Artisit Point, the Wave, V&A come to mind.) But, what about counters or kiosks. Surely the espresso bar in the Poly isn't the only place. Perhaps it was my imagination thinking a cup of coffee would go good with that sweet almond pretzle, but when we were in the bakery in Norway it smelled of fresh brewed coffee. Could it be? Is there anywhere counter-style that has a decent brew?

:cloud9: six weeks until a 2nd honeymoon at WDW!!!

jax86
09-30-2009, 10:09 PM
It's been a while, but I think theres a bakery in MGM that has decent coffee

seanyred
09-30-2009, 10:35 PM
There is another website I know of that has compiled list of "real" coffee places in the parks. If anyone is interested send me PM and I'll give you the link.

I plan on printing this list and trying to confirm as many places on the list as possible.

One more thought. I'll admit I'm a coffee snob but I don't always have to have the best. All I ask for is fresh brewed not instant. I just wish it was easier to find at WDW.

stitchaholic
09-30-2009, 11:31 PM
cafe rix is at CSR

I also think MC donalds makes great coffee and dunkin,starbucks is overated,here in canada we have "second cup" it is a great coffee shop/

MushuGrl
10-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Grumpyguy, we did the same thing one year! We have what we call an "emergency" coffee pot (little cheap one we use when the perculator goes out) and my mother just packed it along with our stuff when we drove. Was WONDERFUL!

Granny Jill A
10-01-2009, 03:21 PM
1)
7) In the past, park and DTD coffee sponsors have been
. . . Maxwell House, 1955
. . . Hills Brothers, 1958
. . . Columbian Coffee, 1992
. . . Nescafé, 2001 (11 yr contract from 11/1/01)
ice cream, ice
milk and ice cream and ice milk novelties; (collectively "Nestle
Products").[/I]

Holy moley, Rusty! That explains why the coffee was so GOOD the first year I went to WDW. It was Columbian - my favorite. I wondered about my taste buds going senile when I tasted the coffee after the turn of the century.

I will say it has saved me a bunch of money buying mugs, etc. Here's hoping when the contract runs out for Nescafe, they bring back Columbian.

I had also been a huge fan of Mickey Bars, until I got deathly ill from one a couple of years ago. I spent the entire night with my head in the wastebasket.

mousetrapper
10-01-2009, 04:51 PM

Whenever I hear anyone talk about the "burnt" taste of Starbucks, I have to wonder what blend they drank when they tried it last. There are many different coffee blends at Starbucks and also different blended drinks, frappacinos, etc. The original Starbucks was Pike Place and, depending on your taste, it is pretty strong and bitter. (some people love it.) So if that's what you equate with Starbucks, that's probably why you don't understand why people buy Starbucks coffee.

It really is all about your own personal taste. I for one find Dunkin Donuts original blend absolutely vile! The grounds are orange, for goodness sake! YUCK. Their dark roast, on the other hand, is pretty good.

I happen to like certain Starbucks blends and buy some frequently to make at home.

To each his/her own! Full disclosure: I'm the proud mother of a certified barista who makes some of the best coffee I've ever had! :thumbsup:

seanyred
10-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm not even a fan of Starbucks fan but I would prefer Starbucks over Nescafe. When the contract is up for renewal with Nestle I hope they negotiate better coffee.

PlutoPlanet
10-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Boma has good press pot coffee. Sanaa may have it too.

big blue and hairy
10-03-2009, 11:12 AM
I really, really love coffee, and theirs is really, really bad coffee, but I'm not sure I'd want them to change the coffee. It is an integral part of my Disney experience.
That's kind of like hoping they wouldn't remove the gum you stepped on in on your first trip to Disney. It might be a memory, but you don't need to repeat it.

Nescafe coffee is only fair when it's actually brewed which it seems to be in the Poly concierge building. The sludge-o-matic is just :ack:

:sulley:

big blue and hairy
10-03-2009, 11:14 AM
It's been a while, but I think theres a bakery in MGM that has decent coffee

Starring Rolls at DHS does have pretty decent coffee.

big blue and hairy
10-03-2009, 11:21 AM
I happen to like certain Starbucks blends and buy some frequently to make at home.

I agree. I rarely buy Starbucks at Starbucks. I buy the bag at Walmart and brew it at home. It is much better than most anything you'll get in the store, and if you buy it at Walmart (or Target) it's a lot cheaper than at most other grocery stores. :coffee: