PDA

View Full Version : Live Dining Report- 9/28

Hammer
09-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Forgot to mention in yesterday's reviews that we are on the Deluxe Dining Plan. I am a DVC member, so not as much calculation involved about inherent value as we aren't purchasing accommodations.

Lunch/Afternoon- Food and Wine Festival kiosks-

Sampled: Seafood Fisherman's pie, Ham Croquettes, Beef Empanadas, Beef Skewer with Chimichurri sauce, Tostada Pollo (chicken), Taste of Spain, Spatzle, Polpettini, Kielbasa with pierogie, and milk chocolate creme brulee (my sister and I split all samples). We enjoyed all of the samplings. Favorites were the Fishermans' pie, Beef empanada, Taste of Spain (manchengo cheese was especially good) and the creme brulee.

Dinner- California Grill

Food was exceptional, as always. We had a seat right by the show kitchen so we saw Chef Jason at work. For the first time ever at this restaurant, the service was not stellar. The service was okay, but not as good as every other visit. Before people say it was the Dining Plan, we ate here last year and service was fantastic.

Onto the food:
Spicy Kazan roll- This restaurant is known for its sushi and deservedly so. Fresh and delicious!

Maine Lobster risotto with a Meyer lemon buerre blanc- This was very good. The sweet lobster meat mixed with the slight tartness of the buerre blanc melded together beautifully.

Entrees- we both had the signature pork tenderloin with goat cheese polenta and cremini mushrooms. Never a complaint about this selection (we order it almost every time we dine here)!

Dessert- we are chocolate fanatics! We had the Chocolate semifreddo with hazelnut whipped cream and the warm Valrhona chocolate cake with salted caramel ice cream. Both were great. The saltiness of the ice cream with the chocolate was a wonderful mix of savory and sweet.

SBETigg
09-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Love the California Grill's spicy sushi, but I had that lobster dish on my last visit in April and it was incredibly good. Very well balanced, delicate, rich, perfect portion. Yum! I also had the chocolate valhrona cake, but it was served with a strawberry accent then. The salted caramel sounds really yummy, too.

Thanks for the reviews. F & W sounds wonderful. Too bad about less than stellar service at California Grill.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Sounds wonderfull:mickey:

ElenitaB
09-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Christine, thanks for the reviews. I'm going to have to put CG back on our dining rotation. It's been far too many years since we've been there and your descriptions (along with Shari's) have me ready to book there for January!

KylesMom
09-30-2009, 10:49 PM
What a wonderful day of sampling at the F&WF and Cali Grill! When you return, I'd love to pick your brain on whether someone who likes somewhat bland & plain food would enjoy CG - I'm DYING to try this place, but DH says no way!

Thanks for taking time out your trip to share more delectable details! :mickey:

Crow
10-01-2009, 01:16 AM
love CA Grill

Maleficent's Dad
10-05-2009, 07:34 PM
The kiosks interest me more than the Cali Grill - Hope the food was excellent as you dined around the world! :mickey:

jillluvsdisney
10-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Lobster risotto. YUM !!!

barbiegirl314
10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Everything at the F & WF sounds so yummy! We're planning on being there next year at this time and I am looking foward to doing a lot of eating.:mickey:

Hammer
10-10-2009, 08:38 AM
What a wonderful day of sampling at the F&WF and Cali Grill! When you return, I'd love to pick your brain on whether someone who likes somewhat bland & plain food would enjoy CG - I'm DYING to try this place, but DH says no way!

Thanks for taking time out your trip to share more delectable details! :mickey:

Carol, your husband will not starve ;) ! I recommend he order the filet and ask for the the sauce on the side or not at all. If he does not like the sides, he can switch them out for other sides from other entrées on the menu.