PDA

View Full Version : Universal Studios 1st time please help plan?

ajpa
09-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Hi!
Can you help me plan our first ever visit to Universal Studios?
Our family is going to WDW* this Dec (12-17), our 3rd visit, and we'd like add 2 days for Universal Studios (Dec 17-19).

I don't know if I want to shell out for an on-site hotel, and I'm wondering if anyone has good recs for any of the offsite "partner hotels" listed on US's website. A mom I know recs Doubletree Hotel at the Entrance to Universal, another site recs Four Points by Sheraton Studio City - are these good choices? Is another one better? Are the offsite hotels' shuttles to US good?

We'll be flying in and won't have a car for the WDW ... aren't planning to rent a car unless absolutely necessary.

The other things is I don't know if we will actually have 2 days worth to do -- none of like roller coasters. Tower of Terror is pretty much the most thrilling thing I can do. We have 2 girls age 8 & 12 and they are not thrill-seekers either. What can we do in US that will be fun but not scary? Should we skip IOA altogether?

Is there some kind of "newbie FAQ for Universal Studios first-timers" anywhere? What do you think every newbie ought to know?

*(Coronado Springs )

Thanks for any help!!!!
aj in PA
:confused:

sisterdisco
09-28-2009, 11:52 AM
We stayed at the Fairfield Inn across the street from Universal. It was very nice, much better than what you would expect from a Fairfield. They also have a free hot breakfast.

I am not so sure that there is much for girls at Universal Studios. Most things are scary for kids that age---Twister, Earthquake, Mummy, Jaws, Terminator. They will like Jimmy Neutron, Shrek, Men in Black. (avoid the Mummy:thedolls:---it is horribly scary)

At Islands of Adventure, they will like the Dr. Seuss landing ( and they might even have the Grinch for photo ops). They can go to Jurassic Park which has many cool things---there is just that one ride w/ the scary drop. There is a great pirate show, a kiddie rollercoaster, and Popeye and Bluto's barge ride. Spiderman is awesome---although I have to close my eyes in one part.

I would start w Islands of Adventure and see if they like it...then add day 2 if you want.

NJGIRL
09-28-2009, 11:59 AM
If you can swing it I would do a Universal Hotel because it gives you automatic front of the line access to the attractions. Not waiting in lines is nice. They are also 4 star hotels according to every travel agent I have ever spoken to. Being so close to City Walk is also another big advantage.

I would take one day for each park. That's what we do and we still don't see everything in Oct. Here is my list of none thrill rides that we enjoy.

Studios:
Jimmy Neutron: a little like Star Tours but better. Seats actually move.

Shrek 3D: like Mickey's Philharmonic but better

Terminator 4D: disney has nothing like this. This is a show. It is live and well as 3D. Both for the price of one.

Horror Make up Show: Very fun and interesting.

Men in Black: Like Buzz but better

The Simpson Ride: Again like Star Tours but much better.

ET: So cute. I love this simple ride and even like the que.

Twister: Sort of a show demo. I like the movie so I get a kick out of this.

Jaws: A little corny but fun still the same. Think Jungle Cruise.

Disaster: I never laughed so hard because my nephew was picked. A show/demo/ride. At the end everyone is in the "movie". Think catastrophe canyon.

Curious George's Playland. My son was 10 when we were there last and we still spent an hour here. Bathing Suits should be worn. Very wet!! This belongs in a water park.

The only trill ride IMO at the Studios is The Mummy and the theming is great so maybe the adults can do this one. I have to disagree about any of the above rides being scary. My son doesn't do rollercoasters or scary and he perfers Universal to Disney.

NJGIRL
09-28-2009, 12:20 PM
I forgot about IOA:

Spiderman: The best theme park ride I have ever been on.

Storm: Similar to the tea cups but much much faster. have seem this type of ride on the boardwalk

Jurassic Park River Ride: Like Splash Mountain but not as well themed.

Camp Jurassic Play Area: A blast for kids. Again have them wear their bathing suits under their cloths. We spent an hour there and my son wanted to stay longer.

Sindbad: Show. Similar to Indy

Posidon's Fury: I love this show. Nothing like it in Disney. A little dark at times but shouldn't be a problem for 8 & 12 year olds.

Cat in the Hat: Think Pooh but better.

One Fish Two Fish: Think Dumbo with water

Popeye & Bluto: Think Kali. You will get soaked

Dudley Do Right: Think Splash Mountain

Again with the exception of the Hulk & Dueling Dragons everthing else should be OK for them.

Dr Doom......If they do Tower of Terror they may even do this.

Plus IOA has alot of little play areas. The Me Ship Olive and What if I Ran a Zoo.

I know I am forgetting some thing but we use 2 full days at Universal and we have been there many many times.

Universal has a very good web site. They even show clips of some of the rides.

thrillme
09-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Stay in a Universal Hotel. Any of them are nice. They'll be worth the extra money because you'll get a "fast pass".

If you're going "off season" you might be OK with an off site sister hotel. But we usually stay in the Royal Pacific and I love the water taxi ride to the parks and the resturants are really good too.

ajpa
09-28-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm glad to hear that non-thrill type like Universal too! The shows sound awesome. NJgirl, I am VERY reassured that your 10yo like US/IOA better than wdw.

It does seem simpler to stay onsite. As I understand it, my dates are just when it starts to get crowded (Dec17-19) -- am I right?
I called the Royal Pacific and they have a 2 night discount where the 1st night is $175, the 2nd night is 219 (total $439) - is that about as low as it gets for Dec? Should I jump on it?

Thanks again!
aj in PA

NJGIRL
09-28-2009, 02:53 PM
I really don't know too much about their hotel pricing other than what I see on their web page. It does make sense that is is peak time because it is so close to Christmas.

My son has plenty to do at both Universal Parks and he doesn't even attempt the Tower of Terror type rides. One thing I do have to say is that while I will do all of the Disney Coasters because I feel they are on the tame side I won't do the Hulk or Dueling Dragons. They are just too big for me!:D

ajpa
09-28-2009, 04:51 PM
It turns out Magical Journeys can probably find me a lower rate on an onsite hotel than I can ... I will let them handle it. And Kathy says she can figure out the transpo from wdw to us too!
:thumbsup:

NJGIRL
09-28-2009, 04:56 PM
That's great. I'm sure they will be able to make your transfer very smooth!:mickey:

BowTie7
09-28-2009, 06:27 PM
On-site is great if you don't mind the added cost. The Thursday/Friday shouldn't be crowded at the parks, but the Saturday will have more locals and season pass holders for the holiday events. You should check when the different events take place, I sort of remember not everything is every day. Also note that 3 major rides at Islands of Adventure (a big percent of the rides) are very, very wet--which you may or may not want to do at that time of the year--bring a waterproof bag for purses and wallets and maybe a second set of shoes (or more) just for the water rides. There is a dryer at the exit from the flume for $5.
I recently stayed at the 4 Points Sheraton (really great rate from Priceline, but no way to guarantee this hotel)--its about a 1 mile/15-20 minute walk from the parks (there are other international drive hotels that may be walkable), which may or may not be a way around needing a rental car.

ajpa
09-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks everyone!
We've decided to stay on-site at the Royal Pacific. They have a bit of a discount if you stay 2 or more nights so that should help.

NJGIRL
09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
That's great! Please let us know what you think of the hotel when you get back

joonyer
09-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Don't forget to try the Mummy! It's sort of an indoor coaster, but not too big or fast. It's very well themed and exciting though, with some great fire effects. It as good as Spiderman (but differnt) in my opinion. It's one of the best themed rides anywhere, as good as anything at WDW with the "depth" and details of theming.

ajpa
09-30-2009, 08:06 PM
How scary/spooky is The Mummy?
I'm a fan of the Mummy movies, but I'm wondering about my 8yo.

sisterdisco
09-30-2009, 08:32 PM
I have to say that I love thrill rides......
I went on the Mummy a few years ago, and came off saying "that was really disturbing".
It really freaked me out. I don't want to give away parts of the ride :thedolls:, but I wouldn't say it was "just scary". It was more a psychological ride than a roller coaster type ride. My husband thinks I was being a baby....but I feel like there was something "wrong" w/ the conception of that ride....Just my 2 Cents!

Try Bob Marley's restaurant in City Walk. It is alot of fun and has good yucca fries and wings

NJGIRL
09-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Don't forget to try the Mummy! It's sort of an indoor coaster, but not too big or fast. It's very well themed and exciting though, with some great fire effects. It as good as Spiderman (but differnt) in my opinion. It's one of the best themed rides anywhere, as good as anything at WDW with the "depth" and details of theming.

I do agree with you there. It is IMO the Best Themed Ride I have ever seen. Standing in Line to get onto the ride is worth it.

NJGIRL
09-30-2009, 09:04 PM
How scary/spooky is The Mummy?
I'm a fan of the Mummy movies, but I'm wondering about my 8yo.

It is a rollercoaster and IMO Space Mountain is tamer than the Mummy. It is also on the scary side so this one I would use caution on. I think it used alot of what was in the movie.....bugs and all.

ajpa
10-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Bugs, eh? Well, I know my kids still complain about It's Tough to Be a Bug after two years ...

NJGIRL
10-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Bugs, eh? Well, I know my kids still complain about It's Tough to Be a Bug after two years ...

What I would do is ride the Mummy first yourself and then if you think it's OK for your kids go on it again. I would consider this a scary thrill ride and it might just be too much for your kids.

BowTie7
10-02-2009, 07:55 PM
If anyone in the group wants to ride the new Hollywood Rollercoaster--its best to do it very first thing--its the only ride at the studios that doesn't currently have Universal Express and the lines can quickly become long, even on a slow day.

NJGIRL
10-03-2009, 01:28 PM
If anyone in the group wants to ride the new Hollywood Rollercoaster--its best to do it very first thing--its the only ride at the studios that doesn't currently have Universal Express and the lines can quickly become long, even on a slow day.

That is one ride I think I will have to skip. My rollercoaster limits go as far as EE or RR. That one is just tooooooooo big for me:blush:

Pally
10-21-2009, 01:13 PM
My family stayed at Portofino a couple of years ago. We loved it. It is very easy to get to park and back. Actually easier compared to ME. :mickey:

StillSimbaGirl
11-09-2009, 08:23 PM
My daughter loves Universal...and the wildest ride she will consider is ET. And she's 10.

I LOVE the Mummy. But I would NOT put a kid on it unless they have some tolerance for rides. It's frightening. I held hands with a total stranger (hey he wanted someone's hand to hold too - he asked me!!!) and I am NOT a hot babe!

The Royal Pacific is my FAVORITE hotel any where. It's gorgeous. The service is wonderful.

PetefromRI
11-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Just got back from the Hard Rock Hotel yesterday.It was our 1st visit to a US resort and we are sold.We actually enjoyed it more than the Poly for alot less money.It is now our favorite resort.Sorry Disney,I love you,but we'll be splitting our vacations with you and Universal for know on.We'll do Disney in May and US in the fall.We don't really care about the US themeparks to much,it's all about the resort and great dining between the 3 resorts and CityWalk.