PDA

View Full Version : Insulin pump and airport security

IloveJack
09-28-2009, 08:09 AM
For those of you who wear a pump, could you tell me what it's like to go through security at the airport? I'm just wondering if I'm going to set the beepers off, and how believing they'll be that it's just my pump, if so. We leave in 48 hours, and I don't want to be surprised...

Strmchsr
09-28-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure about the pump as we do shots. I carried my son's prescription along just in case they asked to see it. They didn't. The looked it over and let us through.

I would suggest you check the TSA website. I know they have a section on how to handle medications and (though I haven't looked) I feel pretty certain they'll have something about pumps. Let us know what you find out.

disneymommom
09-28-2009, 10:11 AM
My grandaughter wears and insulin pump and a sensor (she is in an experimental program) and she only had a problem once at the airport in Fort Myers. The screener was new and her supervisor told her this never should have happened.

BigRedDad
09-28-2009, 11:53 AM
My SIL has one. I don't recall her having any issue at all. I think she told TSA before going through, but that is all.

IloveJack
10-05-2009, 12:37 PM
For future reference, should anyone else have the same question, I went through the security checks on the way out and the way back and never set the alarm off. I told the screeners on the way through, but they didn't seem to really even care. No biggie. I did however read on the TSA website that to travel with a pump, you must have insulin with you. I was going to not take it, since we'd only be there 3.5 days, but I did because of this rule.