PDA

View Full Version : Halfway stop between Canada and Disney

Black Jack Shallack from Frontenac
09-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi all,

We will be driving down to Florida for the 3rd week of december, and I wondered if anyone from Canada or New England has a suggestion of a good spot to stop so that the kids can play to better stand the long drive down.

Thank you,

Black

stitchaholic
09-27-2009, 10:19 PM
where from in canada? we will be driving from montreal, washington seems to be the halfway mark for us. i am interested in the feedback for this thread as well.

09-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Montreal as well. :-)

cather74
09-27-2009, 11:02 PM
King's Dominion or Hershey park?

09-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Hershey Park sounds good, even if not halfway,
but more like a third of the way down.

Maybe if we found something else at the 2nd third. ;-)

Unfortunatly, King's Dominion is closed since
last Friday for the winter it seems.

Also, from the look of the boards by the side
of the road, I was under the impression
that King's Dominion had a religious undertone,
as in King Salomon or something.

Am I confusing it with some other park?

Thanks again,

Black

Ed
09-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Also, from the look of the boards by the side of the road, I was under the impression
that King's Dominion had a religious undertone,
as in King Salomon or something.

Am I confusing it with some other park?

Thanks again,

Black

I've never heard of any such connection. We used to be frequent visitors there when we lived up that way, and never encountered anything that even came close to being "religious".

How about Busch Gardens Williamsburg instead? It's not far off I-95, is a great park, and will be open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in December, as well as every day of the week immediately before Christmas.

BMan62
09-28-2009, 03:37 PM
HersheyPark only has evening hours in December for Christmas Candy Lane, M-Th 5-9pm; Fri 5-10pm; Sat Noon-10pm; Sun Noon-9pm.

Kings Dominion is Closed December.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg only open 4-9pm Fri - Sun on the 3rd week of December.

Don't know what to tell you, but thought this info might help you out a bit.

crazypoohbear
09-28-2009, 07:26 PM
What about washington DC?
because you will be going in December you can never know what the weather will be like.
In DC you can go into some of the museums and admission is free at many of them.

Soccermom12
09-29-2009, 08:38 AM
There is the Children's Museum of Richmond in Virginia that is not far off of I-95. I haven't been there in a few years, but it was a lot of fun for my DS (7,4 and 2 at the time). They have a treehouse playscape, a grocery store where kids can "shop", stock shelves, work the cash register, etc., and a bunch of other stuff. It was a lot of fun but it is geared more towards younger children.

LittleRoosMommy
09-29-2009, 02:02 PM
I agree with the previous poster about stopping in DC. We "usually" don't have horribly bad weather in Dec. That being said, even if it is bad weather, super cold. You can take advantage of one of the Smithsonian Museums: Natural History, American History, Air and Space or the National Art Gallery. Also, you could go to the National Zoo or just walk around some of the Monuments.

At least you have some options to do inside things that your kids will be interested in. Oh, there's also the National Aquarium. Almost forgot about that one! :blush:

I live in the DC suburbs, if you want some more ideas, just PM me.

We'll be heading down to WDW on the 18th. Hope you have a safe trip!!

10-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Any more?