DH, Mark
DD7, Jenna
my mom (aka MiMa)
my dad (aka BeBop or Dan)
our friends Jenn and Ant
their kids: Ant, 7 and the Moose, 2

Day 4: Downtown Disney/MNSSHP

Downtown Disney/Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party

I purposely didn’t set the wake up call today, as I knew Jenna was exhausted. I don’t know what triggers it, but she gets congested and starts coughing on every single trip. I’m not exaggerating—we fly in on a Saturday, and by Monday she’s coughing and stuffy. After the first time (with a visit to Urgent Care), we learned our lesson and started traveling with her Flovent and Albuterol.

I, on the other hand, was up before 6am AGAIN. Once my bladder wakes me up, forget it; I can’t fall back to sleep. I considered throwing some laundry in, but figured I’d have to make a lot of noise in the room getting everything together. When I told Mark this when he woke up, he was annoyed that I hadn’t. But I knew that if I had done it, he would have been annoyed too. You just can’t win with him. So I lugged the laundry over and started one big load while Jenna continued sleeping. I switched it over to the dryer (the plan was to bring it back to the room before heading to DTD).

Once we finally roused Jenna, we headed to Capt. Cook’s for breakfast. This was one of the biggest letdowns for us. Having stayed in moderates, we were used to big food courts in our resorts. Capt. Cook’s offered maybe six things for breakfast, and I don’t think that many for lunch or dinner (we didn’t eat there, but my parents did, and were not impressed at all). Anyway, Mark and I ordered the breakfast bounty platter and Jenna had French toast sticks, which looked good but she only picked at. There was nothing wrong with our meals, but everything was just bland. (I forgot to mention that we never even got resort mugs this trip, as I went to the lounge for coffee each day. We didn’t miss the mugs at all, except now that I’m home I wish I had bought them!).

Oh, and somewhere along this process my iPod fell out of my purse and went—you guessed it—right under a washing machine, just out of my reach. A nice gentleman gallantly lifted the front of the machine up so I could reach it (karma paying me back for randomly offering to take pictures of people with their cameras the previous day!).

So I headed back to the laundry to get our stuff, only to discover that it’s still wet! I wait the cycle out, hoping for a miracle, but no dice. Finally I shove more quarters in, pack the laundry bag in Mark’s backpack, and head for the bus stop (very close to the guest laundry). Hopefully no one will steal our stuff while we’re shopping!

Because of our laundry debacle and Jenna sleeping in, we’re heading out later that I would have liked, but again, no wait for the bus. The bus stopped at Typhoon Lagoon first and then Downtown Disney. We met up with Jenn and the crew right away and decided, although it wasn’t quite time for our reservation, to head over to the T-Rex. We checked in about 11:30 and were seated immediately. The place was empty! We were seated in the Ice Cave right behind Trixie the Triceratops. The kids really enjoyed it, although the Moose was (surprisingly) scared of the meteor shower.

We ordered drinks which came with souvenir glasses (I totally could have skipped that if I’d been paying proper attention) and although everything on the menu looked good, we were all still full from breakfast! Mom ordered mozzarella sticks and Mark and I ordered the appetizer sampler, with a side of ribs for Dan. Jenna had buttered pasta (surprise!). The sampler had eggplant bruschetta, quesadillas, onion rings, and a cheese dip with tortillas. Everything was very good although the quesadillas were pretty dry. We were in and out in a relatively short time, and we even managed to avoid the Build-a-Dino and the gift shop altogether! Yay! I don’t have the bill from lunch, but I think that for my parents, Mark, and Jenna, and me, the total, with tip, was about $100. Not that horrible, until you remember that we only had an appetizer platter! Still, I wouldn’t mind returning another time to try some actual food.

From T-Rex we made the short walk over to the Lego store, which was Jenna’s entire reason for visiting DTD. Her and little Ant did the fill-a-cup-with-Legos thing while I hunted down souvenirs for two of my nephews (I settled on the Lego magnet people-- one’s getting Star Wars and the other’s getting Indiana Jones, which meant that Jenna had to get the Spongebob ones!) and the Lego Advent calendar that I spent all of last year regretting not purchasing. Fortunately, they had it! Jenna collects erasers, so she picked out the brick and people erasers, and then somehow we got talked into buying a box of wheels and tires. Jenna paid for most of her stuff with her hard-earned money, and I used a gift card for the rest. Had most of it sent via package delivery, and we moved on. Jenn and the boys decided to head back to their resort to rest up for the party, and we headed to the World of Disney store. Here I was like a woman possessed—I was on a mission! I needed to find gifts for my other nephew and my two nieces, something for Jenna’s teacher, photo albums and anything else that might catch my eye. I was able to get everything I needed (and then some!) except for something for my 9-month old niece; nothing really drew me in. No matter, I still had time. I paid for all of this using another gift card and the balance in cash, and again had everything shipped to my room. Oh, I also took advantage of the special they had: if you spent $30 you could buy a canvas bag for $10. If you spent $50 you could buy a wheelie duffel bag for I’m not sure how much—my mom did that one. The duffel was pretty small, but served her purpose as a carry-on for my dad when we traveled home.

I was just getting into full-blown shopping mode but everyone else was almost done. We hit Basin because Jenna spied some soaps at the Grand Floridian that she’s wanted but we didn’t walk past that way on our way out the night before, so I let her pick some out. After that we hit the margarita stand! Mark and I took turns taking Jenna into the pin store to trade, and I bought her a new pin book. Although I didn’t get to Once Upon a Toy (I’d wanted to build Mr. Potato Heads for my niece and nephew for Christmas gifts), I felt like I got a lot accomplished, and we left shortly after.

Continued below...

tinksmom02
09-25-2009, 09:15 PM
MNSSHP

I had originally planned on being at the Magic Kingdom by 4pm for MNSSHP, but because we had such a late start, we altered that. When we got back to the Poly (and I was finally able to collect our laundry!), we let Jenna swim for a bit and then showered and headed up to the lounge to see what was being offered. They had barbeque pork skewers, hummus and pita, hot and sour soup, and something else, I think, but I can’t remember what it was. It was good, though, and we all enjoyed a snack before heading off to MK.

Another short monorail ride and we were there! It was about 6pm when we arrived, and the lines weren’t that bad at all, so we very quickly had our wristbands and treat bags. I made everyone stop on Main Street for a group photo (my dad and Jenna had orange T-shirts made up with “Christi’s Disney Tour ’09” on the front, and “I’m With Christi” or “I’m Christi!” on the back) and the photographer told me that the line was already forming for Snow White and the Dwarves. This was my mission for the evening, so we headed right back to Fantasyland. While Mark and Jenna hit Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, and the Tea Cups, I valiantly tried to find out where the meet and greet would be. I asked three different cast members and got three different answers. Finally a gentleman arrived who had apparently asked the right cast member, so I got in line behind him. That’s right, number two in line! And then it started to rain…and rain…and rain. While I stood in line like an idiot, Mark and my parents took Jenna to all of the treat stations in the area. This may have been Dan’s favorite part of the trip—we had about ten pounds of candy by the end of the night!

Meanwhile, the line behind us is steadily growing longer, and we’re wondering if the meet and greet will happen at all. Two character handlers came out to keep us entertained (and entertain us they did!) and explained that if the meet and greet was to be moved, the whole line would proceed to the new space. Whew~all I needed was to have waited in line for almost an hour and a half, only to lose my spot because someone made it to the covered spot before me! But, all that worrying was for nothing, because by 7:30 the rain was down to a drizzle, and soon Snow White and all her little men arrived. I was slightly disappointed by the meet and greet—there was no Photopass photographer, and none of the characters signed. I certainly understand this, as by now the line was ridiculous, but still…I’d expected a little more, or at least some professional pictures. Dopey is only in my shot halfway. But Jenna was excited to meet them, even if it was rushed.

Having done that, Jenna decided she wanted to ride Splash and Big Thunder again, so we head off in that direction. We stopped at most of the treat stations on the way, skipping only the Riverboat one because the line was really long. I couldn’t convince anyone to ride the Haunted Mansion with me…sigh…but we were at Big Thunder in no time at all. Jenna and I rode, and then Mark and Jenna rode, and then all three of us rode Splash (and didn’t even get wet!). The picture was priceless because Mark was actually smiling, but I didn’t buy it because Jenna’s and my head were completely covered. Oh, well. My parents watched the parade while we were riding.

We headed over to Adventureland and rode Pirates of the Caribbean…no Davy Jones again? But the pirate makeover thing was open for candy distribution, so we walked through. It looks pretty cool, and I’m sure Jenna would have loved to have been made into a pirate, but I don’t know how long the makeup would have lasted, so I’m glad we didn’t do it. After that Mark decided we needed more Pineapple Floats, so we headed back to Aloha Isle. Yum!!! Then Mark decided he was exhausted (party pooper), so we were getting ready to make our way out of the park when Hallo Wishes started. We stopped on the bridge leaving Adventureland to watch. We didn’t have the perfect viewing spot, but it was better than watching from behind the castle, which is where we watched last year! It was a fantastic show, and we hung out for a few minutes afterwards, as there was a mad rush of people heading into Adventureland, and we would have been totally going against the current. When the crowds thinned we started to make our way out. I stopped in the Emporium to get a MNSSHP pin, and then we hit the monorail. I would have liked to have stayed longer, but Jenna and Mark were tired. I felt we did get a lot out of our time in the park, even if we didn’t see the Headless Horseman (I don’t even know if he was out that night, as the streets were still pretty wet by parade time). It was a good day, and we all fell asleep quickly.

mouseketeer mom
09-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Did you get to see the MNSSHP parade??? That is the ultimate part of the party for us. We love all the creepy parade people and Jack Sparrows float.
A great day, but a looong one, right? And my kids always seem to get sick as well, at least by the time we are heading home. Thanks Christi!

pdrlkr
09-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

tinksmom02
09-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Did you get to see the MNSSHP parade??? That is the ultimate part of the party for us. We love all the creepy parade people and Jack Sparrows float.
A great day, but a looong one, right? And my kids always seem to get sick as well, at least by the time we are heading home. Thanks Christi!

My parents watched the parade; Jenna was more interested in getting on some rides! We saw the parade last year; we actually followed it up Main Street as we were trying to leave.

It IS a long day, even though I tried to allow for some downtime, we still punked out well before 11pm! And Jenna ALWAYS starts coughing about 3 days after we get there, without fail. We started her on her Flovent right away, but by Thursday she needed a dose of Albuterol, too. But after that she was fine.

faline
09-26-2009, 07:45 PM
What a great mom - holding a place in line during the rain for Snow White and the Dwarves! Thanks for all the great information! I've never made it over to meet with them so you've given me some important tips for our next trip during this time frame!

tinksmom02
09-27-2009, 08:44 AM
What a great mom - holding a place in line during the rain for Snow White and the Dwarves! Thanks for all the great information! I've never made it over to meet with them so you've given me some important tips for our next trip during this time frame!

Here's the information three cast members couldn't give me: Over near Pooh's Playful Spot (in between Pooh and the tea cups, really), there is a fire hydrant in the landscaping. On MNSSHP nights, there is a spotlight shining on this hydrant. That's where the Snow White & 7 meet and greet is (I'm still not quite sure where the covered meet and greet would be). The line starts there and goes along the fence back towards Toontown. hope that helps!

And I'm glad you thought I was a good mom--everyone else that I was nutz!

princessgirls
09-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Great day! It was nice to sleep in and get some other stuff in.

Thanks for the report!

Julie:mickey:

KylesMom
09-28-2009, 11:44 AM
There never really is a good time on vacation to do laundry, is there? I'm glad Jenna, at least, was able to sleep in!

Your DTD trip sounds fun (what would our kids do without the Lego store?) and MNSSHP sounds delightful - minus the RAIN, of course. Another great day! :mickey:

DizNee143
10-01-2009, 01:48 PM
nice time in dtd!! i love going there..i ended up going there 4 times last week when i was there on vacation!!
sorry you didnt get to stay longer at the party..

tinksmom02
10-02-2009, 11:27 AM
nice time in dtd!! i love going there..i ended up going there 4 times last week when i was there on vacation!!
sorry you didnt get to stay longer at the party..

I love DTD, too, and wish we could have gone back another time during the week--I'd wanted to do the Mr. Potato thing for my neice and nephew for Christmas, and we never even got into Once Upon a Toy this time around.