PDA

View Full Version : Who knows about Characters In Flight air balloon?

szyper
09-24-2009, 05:51 PM
My husband came home with the idea one day that we ALL go on the new air balloon in DTD when we go next month. Our children are 6, 3, & 6 months. Is this a crazy idea? What is the flight like? Is it appropriate for young children? I get freaked out when I go up to the second story of a mall, so my judgement is a little biased here. This is the one and only thing he's asked to do, so I am at least keeping an open mind. :mickey:

DisneyGlutton
09-24-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm not a parent, but I would do no such thing. I wouldn't take a six year old up there, let alone the rest...I would be too neurotic the whole time. Plus if heights scare you..whoa. I would have him go up by himself (if the line is short, as the ride itself is quick) and have him come up with another request for all of you to do. I'm sure others will chime in.

Pally
09-24-2009, 09:24 PM
We went in August, DH, DS16,DS14 and I. We were there earlier in the day so there was basically no line. Although, by the time we landed a line developed out of no where.

Three out of four of us are afraid of heights but we wanted to go on. When we went on, there were certainly younger kids. Depending upon how tall your 3 year old is they may have some trouble seeing but that might be a good thing. You go up high but not even close to a real hot air balloon.

Over all, we all enjoyed it. I certainly got butterflies when looking straight down so I stopped doing that. It is really neat to look over the land and see some other parks, DTD etc. The ride is just long enough if you do get "butterflies". The startup and return is a little rough but not too bad. You actually land on a cone and the basket has wheels so it does roll and level out. I am assuming you will have your 6 months old in a carrier of some sort?

I am sure you will have fun if you decide to go!:mickey:

DisneyNut4Life
10-02-2009, 12:41 PM
We went up in the balloon in May, My sister is TERRIFIED of heights and she went on it anyway. She loved it, even opened her eyes!! :thumbsup:

It is not something I would pay to do again, but it was worth doing! My niece went up and loved the view, You can't fall out so I would say if the kiddos want to go, let them!!! :mickey:

dmallan
10-03-2009, 02:43 PM
We did Characters in Flight last week. I do not like heights, but this was not scary at all. You feel very safe inside the "basket." The bottom half is solid and the top part is enclosed in netting, so there is no way a person could fall out.
The view is outstanding. One of our boat captains on our water taxi from POFQ said that on a clear day you can see Cape Canaveral.

szyper
10-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks, all! I feel much better about it (especially with the netting!) in case we do go. Yes, the baby will definitely be attached to me somehow. I think it's hilarious how many people who are afraid of heights are going up in a hot air balloon, though!

caryrae
10-07-2009, 04:53 PM
One thing to remember is it can close down a lot. We were just at WDW last week and tried to do the Balloon ride 3 different time on different days and each time it was closed due to the wind (twice) or a storm was close by (once).

figgie
10-08-2009, 02:44 PM
We were watching the balloon one day as the wind picked up due to an approaching storm. Both my husband and I were alarmed by how fast the balloon started to shift and tilt due to the wind. We will only go on this when we are sure it is a clear weather day. They stop riders and shut down for a very good reason!

Always Goofy
10-29-2009, 01:40 PM
For those of you who have been on the ballon, how much does it cost? Also, my FIL is in a wheelchair but can walk short distances and is a bigger guy. Do you think he would be OK to do this?

caryrae
10-29-2009, 01:48 PM
If I remember right it was like $16 for adults and $10 for kids 3-9.