PDA

View Full Version : Animators working in the Animation Academy??

IamBelle
09-23-2009, 10:47 PM
On my trip in August, we exited the show portion of the animation academy and we saw the glass-partitioned rooms where I heard the animators did actual work. I peered into one of the animator rooms and saw an animator drawing! On the glass it said they were in progress with The Princess and the Frog!! Are they slowly starting to use the animation place in DHS for its original purpose again?! When I saw this, I was so excited!!

DizneyRox
09-23-2009, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was someone in training with a "How to draw the Princess and the Frog" book for the upcoming "animator" interactive part of the show.

Florida Animation was shut down a few years back and I haven't heard anything of it's return. It's too bad, I don't think they put out even one stinker, unlike their California counterparts! They were primarily responsible for Mulan, Lilo & Stitch and Brother Bear...

seanyred
09-23-2009, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was someone in training with a "How to draw the Princess and the Frog" book for the upcoming "animator" interactive part of the show.

Florida Animation was shut down a few years back and I haven't heard anything of it's return. It's too bad, I don't think they put out even one stinker, unlike their California counterparts! They were primarily responsible for Mulan, Lilo & Stitch and Brother Bear...

Didn't they also draw the Lion King at MGM? I thought I remember seeing people working on drawings of lions and stuff...but I was only 12 at the time so the memory is a little fuzzy. Either way I wish they would make part of park a working studio again...it had more charm then.

coneygoil
09-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Didn't they also draw the Lion King at MGM? I thought I remember seeing people working on drawings of lions and stuff...but I was only 12 at the time so the memory is a little fuzzy. Either way I wish they would make part of park a working studio again...it had more charm then.

MGM animation studio also drew for Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. Mainly it was Mark Henn and his animation crew who animated Belle and Jasmine. Then of course they totally did Mulan, Lilo&Stitch, and Brother Bear.

coneygoil
09-24-2009, 08:32 AM
I miss see the actually animation going on there. All my teenagehood I wanted to be an animator and study and "tried" to train for it. Sadly, my dream never came true, but it was a good thing since computer animation dominates now.

But there might be animation going on again there! If famous Disney animator, Mark Henn, worked on The Princess and the Frog, then there was most likely actual animation going on.

coneygoil
09-24-2009, 08:38 AM

I forgot, Mark Henn worked on Young Simba, so yes they did animate some of Lion King in Fl!

azcavalier
09-24-2009, 10:14 AM
I seriously doubt that the animators there were working on The Princess and the Frog. Since it's coming out in about two months, all of the animation should actually be done. They might be doing lithographs or something to sell based on The Princess and the Frog, but i'd be shocked if the movie itself wasn't actually complete.

Imagineer1981
09-24-2009, 11:13 AM
When we were there, we also saw someone working. Upon further review (we used to work at Disney and were training to be animators) we saw that they are were just hand painting Cels, probably just to sell at the Art of Disney stores. Even hand drawn animation is colored in computers now. Also it was only one person working.

BiloxiMom
09-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Where is this attraction? My dd wants to be an artist and I'm sure she'd like to see it.

SurferStitch
09-29-2009, 09:15 AM
They also did my favorite movie there...Lilo and Stitch!

I love all of the Lilo and Stitch artwork you can still see hanging in there. I'm so glad I got to see them working on that movie years ago.

azcavalier
09-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Where is this attraction? My dd wants to be an artist and I'm sure she'd like to see it.

This is in the Animation Courtyard at DHS. Basically head to the big Sorcerer Mickey hat and hang a right. Go past the Voyage of The Little Mermaid and go to the Magic of Disney Animation attraction. After you sit through the initial part (which, depending on the CM you get who presents it, can either be fun or a disaster), then you enter the place where you can see animators working on hand-painted cels.

Phantod
10-03-2009, 09:23 AM
I seriously doubt that the animators there were working on The Princess and the Frog. Since it's coming out in about two months, all of the animation should actually be done. They might be doing lithographs or something to sell based on The Princess and the Frog, but i'd be shocked if the movie itself wasn't actually complete.

This is exactly what we were told. All the artists there (not animators) were doing was creating cells for sale, not doing any of the animation, since that is computerized these days.

And yes, they were actually working on Lion King there in Florida. We were there in '93 and they were telling us all about it in advance of its release.

I miss it, but that's computers for you, takes away all of the fun.:(