PDA

View Full Version : Grand Californian Vacation Club Villas Open Today

Melanie
09-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Disneyland Resort Unveils Expansion of Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

New Wing and First West Coast Disney Vacation Club Villas Open to Guests Today

ANAHEIM, Calif. (Sept. 23, 2009) – Disneyland Resort today unveiled a stunning new addition to its Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, including 203 new guest rooms and 50 two-bedroom equivalent Disney Vacation Club villas, the first Disney Vacation Club property on the West Coast. Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa immerses guests in the magic of the Disneyland Resort by capturing the spirit of early California through design and architecture. Many of the new vacation villas offer guests spectacular views into Disney’s California Adventure Park.

“This expansion reinforces Disney’s long-term commitment to investing in Anaheim’s Resort District,” said Ed Grier, president of Disneyland Resort. “Since opening in 2001, Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa continues to impress our guests with its timeless sophistication and exquisite service. The new villas and hotel rooms will give more guests the opportunity to enjoy the immersive vacation experience Disney is known for.”

The 2.5-acre addition to Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, which increases accommodations by more than 30 percent, is part of ongoing resort expansion work. Currently underway is a multiyear expansion of Disney’s California Adventure Park, which will add new attractions, entertainment experiences and an entirely new 12-acre Cars Land. In addition, the resort’s historic Disneyland Hotel also began a major three-year renovation last month.

“We are so fortunate to have a wonderful partner in the Disneyland Resort,” said Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle. “Disney’s continued investment in Anaheim benefits the entire Resort District as well as the surrounding community. This grand addition to the city’s only four-diamond hotel will encourage even more visitors to come to Anaheim and experience a vacation in our great City.”

The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa mark the 10th property for Disney Vacation Club, Disney’s innovative vacation-ownership program. As with all Disney Vacation Club properties, guests are able to experience the comforts of home, such as a fully equipped kitchen, living area, dining area, washer and dryer, whirlpool tub and other amenities, depending on the size of the accommodations. Guests can choose from four different room categories including a studio (sleeps 4), one-bedroom villa (sleeps up to 5), two-bedroom villa (sleeps up to 9) and the three-bedroom, two-story Grand Villa (sleeps up to 12).

“It is exciting to witness the incredible growth of Disney Vacation Club, because not only are we creating new accommodations here in Anaheim, we are creating new experiences,” said Disney Vacation Club President Jim Lewis. “Now Disney Vacation Club is part of the place where it all started, a place known worldwide as the Happiest Place on Earth.”

Other new amenities at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa include the Mariposa swimming pool, the Grizzly Game Arcade, a guest laundry facility, two gas barbeque grills, the Paradise View Terrace on the 6th floor overlooking the Paradise Pier area of Disney’s California Adventure Park, underground valet parking spaces and an expanded Pinocchio’s Workshop – a licensed child activity center. The hotel now boasts 948 guest rooms, which includes 44 guest suites as well as 50 Disney Vacation Club two-bedroom equivalent vacation villas.

NotaGeek
09-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Yea! :mickey:

DVC2004
09-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Yay! I added on here. I don't when we can get back out there but I can't wait to visit my new "home"! We just love Disneyland and the Grand Cal is so beautiful.

BrerGnat
09-24-2009, 12:32 PM
It looks really nice too! I was just there a few days ago, walking around. Of course, the new "wing" was roped off, but the addition is seamless. It looks like it has always been there. We just stayed at the GCH Aug. 30-Sept. 2 and got to see the new Mariposa pool area and that looks nice (just an additional pool added to the existing pool area). It's small, but it will help with the added guests in the pool area.

I'm interested to see the newly reopened arcade and any other recreational areas that are "over there". I'm headed over tomorrow, hopefully, just to "explore". :blush:

The one thing that I noticed that is totally lacking is the availability of ANY sort of groceries in the existing gift shop of the Grand. At all the WDW resorts that have a DVC attached, you can get some staple items in the gift shop. This is NOT the case at the Grand. I am not sure if they have a separate gift shop in the new wing that has this sort of stuff or not. Remains to be seen, I guess. There are some convenience stores in the area, but the grocery stores are most definitely NOT within walking distance, so it remains to be seen how DVC members will deal with grocery issues if they don't have a car. I guess they can always order from Albertsons or Vons.com, grocery stores that deliver with a $50 minimum, although I'm not sure if they will deliver to a hotel, since they are large chain stores...

Carol
09-26-2009, 09:46 AM
As soon as we get our December 2010 dates, Mel and Michael - I'm booking our villa!

Ed
09-27-2009, 07:53 AM
We just got back. The addition does look like it's always been there. Great job.

We couldn't get a studio, and ended up that the DLH, but we did tour the models; they are beautiful! We're already planning an extended stay next time.

BrerGnat
09-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Just got back from a quick visit to DLR. Stopped by Grand Californian to check out the addition (now that it's open).

Here's what I have to pass along:

-Groceries: A SMALL selection of grocery items is now available at White Water Snacks, the counter service restaurant. They dedicated one refrigerator case to selling stuff. I saw 1/2 gallon milk and OJ as well as large water bottles. They also had deli turkey and ham, bacon (1lb package), dozen eggs, butter, cream cheese, and american cheese slices. They also added a stand alone freezer which has Tombstone frozen pizzas and Stouffer's lasagna. Along the wall, they added loaves of sandwich bread (white and wheat--some brand I've never heard of...), as well as "condiments", Jif Peanut Butter, Strawberry Preserves, Mayonnaise, Mustard, relish, Ketchup, S/P shakers. Prices are what you'd expect for a Disney resort stocking these things.

-Pinocchio's Workshop (child care center) has moved over to the new wing. It appears to still be "under construction" at this time. The old location has CLOSED, so at this point, it looks as if there is NO child care being offered at GCH...

-The Arcade is now open next door to Pinocchio's. It's rather small, but has a good selection of games.

-At this time, there is NO Villas at Grand Californian specific DVC merchandise being offered at the gift shop. There is a section of generic "Disney Vacation Club" logo apparel and merchandise.

Melanie
10-01-2009, 06:52 AM
As soon as we get our December 2010 dates, Mel and Michael - I'm booking our villa!

:yay:

fupresti
10-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Just became a member today!