PDA

View Full Version : No Room in the Inn

Melanie
09-23-2009, 06:21 PM
:sad:

I know I shouldn't complain since we live so close now and can pretty much visit WDW whenever we want, but I'm finding out that there really isn't such a thing as a spur-of-the-moment weekend trip if you want to stay on site.

My hubby mentioned today about going this weekend, so I checked availability. Only thing we could get was a villa at the Beach Club, which actually surprised me since Food & Wine starts this weekend. We won't be in the room but just to sleep, so it just couldn't be justified. Looks like we'll get up early Sunday morning and drive up for the day, and know that in the future we'll have to plan further out. :thumbsup:

Done venting. Thanks!

BluewaterBrad
09-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Is that in WDW, or just with your DVC resort?:mickey:

Daisy'sMom
09-23-2009, 07:12 PM
I know that we booked our week (starting tomorrow) a few months ago and we could not get POP Century. They said at that time they hada few rooms avail at CSR, and All Star Sports and Music.
We picked Sports. Going with someone who has mobility issues and CSR has alot of walking at times.:mickey:

Melanie
09-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Is that in WDW, or just with your DVC resort?:mickey:

Oh, no DVC here. That is WDW as a whole. :unsure:

Ian
09-23-2009, 07:59 PM
That's really odd, because I went to Disney's website and, unless I'm missing something, there appear to be rooms available through there? :confused:

Melanie
09-23-2009, 08:21 PM
That's really odd, because I went to Disney's website and, unless I'm missing something, there appear to be rooms available through there? :confused:

Hmmm. I don't know Ian. Even Wendy checked for me and it's all booked. :confused:

coloradowendyl
09-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Remember...Free dining is still going on for September and the values/moderates fill quickly with this promotion. With the Bounceback in 2008 ending on 9/20 for check in', a lot of people took advantage of it for the week of 9/20 to 27. This week has been tough to find rooms for quite a while unless you would like to pay full price for a deluxe or villa.

Wendy

Melanie
09-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Score! Just by chance I called Shades of Green, even though their website was showing no availability, and there was actually ONE available. We literally got the last room in the inn. ;)

MuchLovedMama
09-24-2009, 01:06 PM
I just don't get it. If the resorts are that full how is the park not???

artyboy
09-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Score! Just by chance I called Shades of Green, even though their website was showing no availability, and there was actually ONE available. We literally got the last room in the inn. ;)

Good for you!

Have a great time!

lockedoutlogic
09-24-2009, 01:46 PM

because you don't have to pay for a disney room to buy a ticket

W24toISMdirect
09-24-2009, 02:21 PM
because you don't have to pay for a disney room to buy a ticket

Exactly, I think the free dining/bounceback promotions are keeping on-site resorts full, but the off-site and day guest business has slowed with the season, resulting in a noticable overall decline in the parks.

T-Belle
09-24-2009, 02:23 PM

Melanie, I've found this to be true on several occasions. The website shows no availability but when I call SOG to check on an overflow discount at another hotel they tell me they have SOG rooms available. Now I just go ahead and make the phone call. Looks like we're going to miss you by a couple of weeks~we're arriving 10-11.

W24toISMdirect
09-24-2009, 02:24 PM
And BTW, if I was still eligible for a room at Shades of Green, I'd probably not even consider staying anywhere else.

It's a very nice resort, nicer even than the moderates, good location, and unbeatable price.

Melanie
09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
It's a very nice resort, nicer even than the moderates, good location, and unbeatable price.

No doubt, but we enjoy staying at the Disney resorts as well. With the current military 40% off rooms promotion, a moderate is much less than Shades of Green for us (if there is availability).

And Joan, I'll definitely take your lead and call first from now on. :thumbsup:

mudpuppysmom
09-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Melanie, I've found this to be true on several occasions. The website shows no availability but when I call SOG to check on an overflow discount at another hotel they tell me they have SOG rooms available. Now I just go ahead and make the phone call. Looks like we're going to miss you by a couple of weeks~we're arriving 10-11.

I too find the SOG website availability calendar to be not up to date many times! I have also called when the availability calendar says there is nothing and I always seem to get a room -- and ask if they are full and am told much of the time "no we have rooms" -- so it's always best to call!!

Plus, now you are right across the street from the Poly and the monorail!!!

Have a great weekend!

darthmacho
09-24-2009, 03:22 PM
You know, the "book early" theory doesn't just apply to WDW anymore, though WDW travellers do seem to be the obsessive types that tend to plan extra far in advance.

In any case, every year we go on vacation in August. In 2007 we decided to go to York, ME, and after much research, we couldn't get a room at any of our top choices, and we had to settle for a second rate hotel, which luckily was a decent location. We were booking in May, about 3-4 months in advance.

In 2008 we had a similar experience in Old Orchard Beach. I had committed to booking early, but circumstances held off my doing this until May again, and everything desirable and in our budget (i.e. on or around the beach and pier) was booked solid. We ended up staying in a hotel far from the beach in Biddeford, one town over. Luckily, we had lots of other plans besides just the beach.

Finally, to get to the point, when I asked the people at the booked places how long they've been booked, they said they generally are all but booked by the end of winter, for the summer!

I don't know if it's just that more people can afford to travel these days, or just simply because there are just more people, but it seems no matter where you travel 3-4 months in advance is cutting it close anymore.

My father laments that 30 years ago, it seemed like we had the White Mountains of NH all to ourselves, but now 5 million visitors pass through there every year!

This is exactly why I'm starting to plan my August 2010 WDW trip...NOW! :secret:

Sorry for that long diatribe! :blush:

CanadianWDWFan
09-24-2009, 04:57 PM
We decided to leave on our vacation one day early so we tried to add one night at any Value resort. We tried for two weeks before and there was NOTHING at any value. They seemed to be pushing CSR as the alternative on the Disney website.

I think that for short stays they might be trying to push you towards spending the extra money to go up to moderate.

That said, two days before we left we were able to get a room at the POP. I just found it kind of weird that there were no Value rooms available at all during the "slow" season at the end of summer.

afowl1017
09-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Melanears...we tried to book a last minute getaway last week for some family celebrations as well and all they could offer us was the Poly and Yacht! A little too pricey for us so we ended up booking at a DTD property...it was super cheap and super nice!

disneyworld55925592
09-30-2009, 11:00 AM
If you ever are in a bind again I would check out the Swan and Dolphin. They aren't techniqually disney resorts but we always stay there and they feel disney enough! They are in walking distance to epcot and the studios. Last minute you could get a room this weekend for about 200 bucks a night. A bit pricely but they run deals alot and its a beautiful resort, very similar to the deluxes, in luxury!

FutureCorpsFan
10-05-2009, 12:27 PM

It's also fall convention season. I was at the BCV last week and there were plenty of "Convention Ears"