PDA

View Full Version : Rain, rain go away

Georgesgirl1
09-22-2009, 08:10 AM
It has been raining in the Atlanta area for 6 days straight. I mean we are talking heavy rains for 6 days! Yesterday it took me an hour to drive home from work (it normally takes 10-15 minutes). I kept having to turn around because all the roads I usually take were flooded over. I also saw a huge oak tree that had fallen on a school bus (luckily everyone was okay). Several people have died when their cars have been swept into what are normally creeks, but are now raging rivers. A road in our neighboorhood is completely gone. The whole thing got washed away. Schools are being cancelled and county governments are being shut down. It is crazy! I have never seen anything like it. I think I need to start building an ark...

BigRedDad
09-22-2009, 09:39 AM
I hear you and feel for you. I almost fell to tears when I heard about the 2yo swept from her mom's hands.

All I can say is people need to understand the power of flowing water. 2 inches of flowing water can move an SUV. 3 inches of water can take a fully loaded semi truck. I cannot grasp the idea of what people are thinking when they try to go through moving water, let alone try to wade through it? If swept away in the car, the safest place is to stay in it until it stops or water starts to enter.

cer
09-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Y'all be safe in Georgia.

We had a slow moving system here about a week ago and it dumped 8 inches on us in 2 days.... I can't imagine what you are dealing with.

Strmchsr
09-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Yep. Same thing here in Alabama, but it's been about 10 straight days for us. Basically a tropical system that was just barely under tropical depression status came ashore and then has sat there ever since. It should begin to move out by this weekend, but we still have 2-3 more days of this rain. I'm fairly certain I saw a group of animals lined up two by two when I arrived at my office this morning.

However, I'm not complaining too much. Those of you from GA and NC, like us in AL, should remember well 2007. I won't ever complain about rain again. Same for Texas this year.