PDA

View Full Version : Character dining without ADRs

Skippy
09-21-2009, 08:37 PM
we're heading to WDW at the end of this week, and I've been unable to get ADRs (have been trying since the 90-day out mark) for my party of 15 for Chef Mickey's or Cape May/

If we're there early, what are the chances of being able to be seated? I've only ever done Chef Mickey's once without Priority Seating, and there were only four of us on a February Sunday then.

Strmchsr
09-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Given that "free" dining is going on and Chef Mickey's is one of the most popular places the chances of a walk-up are very, very slim. I wouldn't waste your time. With a party that big, I'd really say your chances are none. Sorry.

#1donaldfan
09-22-2009, 12:30 PM
.....I wouldn't even waste my time with it....we went in June and my sister went in August this year and it was horrible....the buffet has changed quite a bit since our last CM visit (06), and not for the better...the character interaction is good, but the food is not so good.....really, it just doesn't warrant you waiting "hours" for a table.....IMHO...:cool:

SurferStitch
09-22-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't think you'll be able to "slip in" a party of 15 anywhere. That's a huge group, and if a restaurant has no ADR's available, the chances of you getting in are pretty much null.

EJS-Houston
09-22-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm blanking on the name of the restaurant (Garden Grill Cafe...or something like that?), but we walked up to the restaurant in EPCOT's The Land Pavilion in early November two years ago and got right in for a character dinner (we saw Mickey, Chip and Dale). If you're gonna try it, I'd recommend trying there. The food was pretty good, too.

Skippy
09-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Really? Even at 7 when they open?

I'm disappointed to hear the quality has gone down too. Chef Mickey's was my favorite because of the quality of the food.

lockedoutlogic
09-22-2009, 03:26 PM
we're heading to WDW at the end of this week, and I've been unable to get ADRs (have been trying since the 90-day out mark) for my party of 15 for Chef Mickey's or Cape May/

If we're there early, what are the chances of being able to be seated? I've only ever done Chef Mickey's once without Priority Seating, and there were only four of us on a February Sunday then.

I hate to pile on the bad news....but you're not going to have any luck....

i really hope a "dump the 180 day ressie/ no priority seating" movement gets footing and eventually forces a change....but the dining plan is a good economic model for them....so the fact that the oldest and most loyal patrons are miserable really isn't a management concern

Strmchsr
09-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Really? Even at 7 when they open?

I'm disappointed to hear the quality has gone down too. Chef Mickey's was my favorite because of the quality of the food.

Well, that's one person's opinion on the quality of the food. When I was there in May I found the quality to be just fine.

But, yes, even at 7 when they open. If you were a party of 1 or 2 you might slip in when they open but not a party of 15. No way that's going to happen. Like I said before, CM is one of the most popular places. If they let a party of 15 in that would mean folks who had made their ADRs would have to be put off and it would throw their whole system off.

Ian
09-23-2009, 08:47 AM
We ate at Chef Mickey's a couple weeks back and I didn't think the food quality was significantly worse than what it has been for the last couple years. It's not what it was a decade ago, that's for sure, but still about the same as in recent memory.

As far as walking up with a party of 15? I'm not quite as doom and gloom as everyone else ... you might be able to pull it off if you go immediately at opening and if you're willing to split your party up into smaller groups. If you did, say, three groups of four and a group of three? Then yeah ... I bet you'd be able to get in if you went early enough.

But be prepared with an alternative plan, though, because the odds are probably 50/50 at best.

wdwfansince75
09-23-2009, 11:34 AM
You might also consider Ohana for an early breakfast...They are more flexible than most venues for seating...and the characters (at least Mickey, in an Aloha shirt, Minnie, Lilo, and Stitch) work the room well....Food is served family style....
Kind of late to try, but did you check on a Grand Gathering breakfast at Tony's...
If you are staying on site, try calling the Lobby Concierge at your resort....and/or go there immediately after check in.
Keep trying....remember Yogi's words....Its so crowded, nobody goes there anymore!

TheRustyScupper
09-23-2009, 12:59 PM
1) You will have real problems with a group that size.
2) Even a group 1/3 that size.
3) Have you tried the character meals at
. . . Hilton
. . . Swan

Disney Doll
09-23-2009, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't bother. As others have mentioned 15 is a large number to just squeeze in especially during free dining when everything is already packed. Think what a pain it would be to drag all 15 members of your party to CM bright and early to most likely be told that they can't seat you. I'm afraid the extremely slim chance that you might get in wouldn't be worth the trouble and potential disappointment at least to me.

mjaclyn
09-23-2009, 02:35 PM
I second the idea that you try for O'hana because when DH and I went there last year for a breakfast there was a TON of seating available and it was around this time of year as well. I think it may be one of the largest venues for a character meal. I also agree not to waste your time with Chef Mickey's - I've been trying to get an ADR there as well for our family of 4 and have had no luck at all. I think anywhere you 'walk up' to without an ADR you may have to break up your party though... do 3 tables of 5 or something.

Skippy
09-23-2009, 06:52 PM
3) Have you tried the character meals at
. . . Hilton
. . . Swan

I hadn't, but I am now! Thank you! I had no idea there were Character meals outside of the Disney resorts.

Just got off the phone with the Hilton, they had two slots available, someone's calling me back tomorrow because of the party size... but it looks promising :mickey3: and the Swan doesn't take ressies at all, it's all walk up so we have a backup.

Skippy
09-27-2009, 10:32 AM
And the Swan won! Called and spoke to a manager, she said because of our size they would take a reservation for us.

The food was good with a varying selection. We got to meet and take pictures with Pluto, Goofy and Chip -n- Dale. The waiters stopped by and sang happy birthday and we had a great time.

Thanks again TheRustyScrapper!