PDA

View Full Version : Is one day at WDW worth $1000?

disneykid@hrt
09-21-2009, 12:38 AM
We are strongly considering taking DD1 to DW for her second Birthday in January. But here's the thing, it would be a 2 night/1 day at MK most likely. It would end up costing us about $1000. (Flight from Northern Indiana, 2 nights at a Value Resort, food- so probably a little bit more for souvenirs:mickey:) Is this crazy?? I don't know if I'd be satisfied with just one day, and I'm sure I could come up with a much smarter way to spend A THOUSAND BUCKS these days. But still, I can't think of something as much fun!!:number1:

Would/has anyone done this before? I know I can't be the only one this reckless.:cool:

Twinsowner
09-21-2009, 01:09 AM
Man, thats alot for 1 day. i think it would do nothing but make me want to stay longer. What if it rained or something.? Just got for 4 nights! Then it will be worth it!!

badkitty
09-21-2009, 03:50 AM
Wow. That is an awful lot for only one day. I love WDW but I would have a hard time justifying the cost. I doubt that I would do this. If it were me, I would save the money for a longer trip. Good luck in your decision.

Fairy Grandmother
09-21-2009, 04:37 AM
Do you ever watch the "Can I Afford It" segment on the Suze Ormon show? Unless you have LOTS of money I think Suze would "deny" this. :(

On the other hand, it would be a fun thing for you to do (more so for you than your DD who won't remember it - since she is just turning 2).

Is there any way you could add more days to the trip to justify the expense of the flight?

Maybe you could put the thousand dollars toward going in December 2010 when you could enjoy the decorations and DD would get in free because she would not be 3 yet.:tree:

disneyboundagain
09-21-2009, 06:40 AM
I think it depends on your financial position. If you won't miss the $1k, I would definately do it. We (I) have thought about doing the same thing several times, as recently as three weeks ago. We were going to fly out Friday night, and then fly back home Sunday night. I couldn't get late flights for both days, so we scrapped the plan.

cather74
09-21-2009, 06:45 AM
I would usually never say no to a Disney trip, but this is a lot of money. Especially considering you are on "2 yr old time." That includes nap time and mood changes. While it's fine if you are there for a couple days, (ex. bad mood = try again tomorrow) that's putting a lot of eggs in one basket and hoping for the best. Good Luck if you go!

betteratmk
09-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Sorry, I have to agree with the other posters. But $1000. is a hefty down payment for a trip!! You could be 1/2 way there!! :number1:

Gregandmel
09-21-2009, 08:19 AM
I would have to agree with the other posters. That's a lot of $$ for 1 day at DW. She will not remember it, and I'd set the money aside and wait until I could stay longer. Don't mean to be a downer on it, but $1000 (to us anyways) is a lot of money to spend for 1 day. Good luck with your decision though! It's always hard to gear up for a trip to WDW, then have to postpone or cancel. :mickey:

Madame Leona
09-21-2009, 08:35 AM
A year ago, people would have said, "go for it." The economy has really changed. I love Disney World but I have turned into a money grubber so my instict would be to say no. If you have the more disposable income that the rest of us only dream of, then I say go for it and have a wonderful time.

Mousemates
09-21-2009, 08:36 AM
nope..WDW is not worth a thousand dollars a day :nope: ...I vote with the other posters and say use the money as downpayment and save a little to add a few more days to the journey.

This will spread your airline costs over a longer time span and lower your per day ticket costs...try to get your per day vacation costs down somewhere south of the $500 a day range (which you can easily do with a stay at a value) and I think you will have a magical vacation :tink: that will be long enough to truly enjoy and not so expensive that you feel guilty about spending the money.

just my :twocents:

NJGIRL
09-21-2009, 09:10 AM
No, I wouldn't do it. This is exactly why we have never taken a weekend trip to Disney.
Take her somewhere local because at two years old she will probably be just as happy. IMO I would save your money for a longer trip later on.

d_m_n_n
09-21-2009, 09:23 AM
No, I wouldn't do it. This is exactly why we have never taken a weekend trip to Disney.
Take her somewhere local because at two years old she will probably be just as happy. IMO I would save your money for a longer trip later on.

I have to agree. Have you considered the Children's Museum and Zoo in Indpls or maybe Chicago?

dephenn
09-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Well if this was the game show Family Feud the host would be asking for the #1 answer and it would be NO!. It is very enticing and sounds exciting, and if disney was going to be gone tomorrow I'd say go for it. There has to be something closer to home that your daughter would have fun doing and there is nothing wrong with an old fashion birthday celebration at home. You could have a Disney theme and do an at home Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique with her little friends. What ever you decide to do just have fun and remember your children get more from your attention and love then any amount of money you can send on them, wether you can afford it or not.

buzznwoodysmom
09-21-2009, 09:27 AM
No way would we ever spend that much money for only one day in WDW. I took my kids to WDW when one of them was 2 years old and the other was 9 months old so I have no objections to taking them at a young age. However, when my kids were around 2 or 3 years old and we returned from our WDW trips many times when asked what their favorite thing about the trip was, guess what their answer was???? Their favorite thing about the trip was swimming at the resort swimming pool. I could have done that anywhere. So I agree with whoever said to take her some place local, because honestly its the parent's who really remember and cherish those early WDW trips. The little ones barely remember it, if they remember it at all.

KylesMom
09-21-2009, 09:45 AM
I have to agree with the majority here and say that if you saved that $1,000 & put it towards a longer trip it would be much more enjoyable for your family. Our first trip with DS when he was 27 months old would not have been the hit that it was if we had not stayed for several days - naps, travel, over-stimulation, etcetera may prove to be just too much to enjoy what should be a fabulous first time with your daughter. :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
09-21-2009, 10:35 AM
I think you would have buyers remorse for a very very very long time. That's a lot of money for a lot of what ifs. What if your flight is late? What if your child gets sick? What if the weather is horrible? etc etc.

Normally these kinds of things fall into the "whatever" category, but if you are ony there for 1 park day, you really don't have any room for a "Plan B".

Just my "always gets as much bang for my buck as I can" opinion. :mickey:

TheVBs
09-21-2009, 12:53 PM
It sounds very exciting! But.... it is a lot for one day. I have to agree with the above. If you won't miss the $1k at all and won't feel too sad just being there one day, then go for it! Otherwise, set that $1k aside and plan a longer trip with it! :mickey:

bruin1344
09-21-2009, 01:18 PM
way too short of a trip to be dropping 1k

Belster
09-21-2009, 06:18 PM
I would have to say no to this as well...we just paid 2600.00 for CSR 9 nights, free dining for 5! I think I would go with, use the 1k for a down payment and visit at the Holidays, you will love it!!!!

disney obsessed
09-21-2009, 06:58 PM
GO!
I do not understand the responses of the other folks here but my opinion is that you only live once. Some of my most treasured memories are of the trips I took with the kids that they barely or don't remember. The awe on their faces is worth it all. She will not remember it but you will.
I have done this and left early one day, had the rest of that day, the second whole day and then leave late on the third. There is so much more to do than the parks.
If you can afford it. Do it.

Bri
09-22-2009, 09:08 AM
i think it's kind of crazy. i'm going down for nye, dec 30 to jan 4. we are staying at pop, got the counter service dining plan, 5 day park hopper and plane tickets and it's costing about $900 per person. can't you go for a longer stay? you don't have to get her park tix since she's under 3 and you can get the counter service dining plan for you and your husband and share the food with her. i'm sure it's the short trip on the plane tix that's throwing the cost over the edge. if you're going to go, make it count and go for a few days. she won't remember if she's there ON her actual birthday.

It'sWDW4me
09-22-2009, 09:26 AM
I was, quite honestly, JUST pricing a weekend for my DS's 14th birthday in May. Since he's in school, I refuse to take more than 1 school day for a pleasure trip so that relegates us to just a weekend. I could spend $1,000 for 2-3 nights in May or I could spend $1,500-$1,700 for 7 nights in August. We'll wait.

As a pp replied - unless you have money to burn (I'm taking donations if you do :D), 1 night just isn't worth $1,000 IMHO.

BrownEyedGrrl
09-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Considering that for us-three adults, two children, and one infant- the cost is $2500 for 11 days, ten nights (we're driving), I'd have to say that $1,000 is too much for one day! ;)

You know your family's budget best, but for me, honestly, I'd have to be a millionaire at least before I would consider spending $1,000 on just one day of vacation. Is there anything else you can do that is Disney-esque instead, that's closer to home and less expensive? Especially considering that your DD won't remember this trip.

wdwfansince75
09-22-2009, 09:58 AM
My first impulse was...Don't do it...Even if you can afford it, Murhpy's Law will be lurking...Weather, colds, bad sushi...so many things could go wrong!....But as I glance around our home, there are pictures everywhere of us, our kids, and their kids, enjoying WDW and especially Character Meals....And I have seen parents blow $500 or more for Birthday Parties....even for toddlers...If you decide to go, get trip insurance, and consider making an ADR at Chef Mickey's the first evening....Or 1900 Park Faire....Order a Birthday Cake....Enjoy....Lots of Disney Trips, 4 BA's, 7 wonderful grandkids....Lots of memories, and wonderful images....I don't regret a second of the time, nor a penny of the money that we shared with our family....Wish I had more....Wish me luck.....I have powerball tickets for tomorrow!

princessesmom
09-22-2009, 12:55 PM
I think there are other things to consider in addition to the money. While $1k is a lot, I know many people who spend loads of money on a children's birthday party, so this could in lieu of that.

I would be more worried about the flights getting delayed or bad weather. Many years ago we went to Disney for a weekend - left Friday evening returned Sunday evening. It was DH, DD 21 months, and myself 7 months pregnant. This was a company trip - my company took all the employees and their families from the NY office. So most of it was paid for, we just had to cover a couple of meals and souvenirs. We were delayed by several hours on the flight down and didn't get to our hotel until 1:00AM. Needless to say we were all exhausted the next day. There were problems again coming home Sunday night. Fortunately the flight we were on did get out, but we didn't get in until after midnight and still had an hour drive to our house. Several people from our office were on another flight and it didn't get out at all, they didn't make it back to NY until Monday afternoon! What I took away from this experience was that the thought was wonderful, but this was way too much to fit into a weekend trip. If small children weren't involved it would be another story.

I would pick a time when you can go for a longer period and make it a real vacation.

betteratmk
09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
GO!
I do not understand the responses of the other folks here but my opinion is that you only live once. Some of my most treasured memories are of the trips I took with the kids that they barely or don't remember. The awe on their faces is worth it all. She will not remember it but you will.
I have done this and left early one day, had the rest of that day, the second whole day and then leave late on the third. There is so much more to do than the parks.
If you can afford it. Do it.

I think most of us responded like that if this short trip would eliminate a longer one down the road!!!!

joonyer
09-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Here's another :twocents:

If you think you may not have another chance to go in the foreseeable future, i.e. this is your one and only chance to go that you can foresee, then go for it now.

On the other hand, if you think you'll be able to go again in a year or two, I'd save the $1,000 and put it toward a much longer trip a year or two down the road. You'll get much more out of it that way.

But, if money is no object or concern, then go as often as you want. Most of us can't choose that option.

jnfr2424
09-22-2009, 04:30 PM
I am definately one for living in the moment and making memories but its not worth it for 1 day. If money is no object and you are planning a future visit then do it but otherwise, take that money and in a couple of months book the flights(which will probably be so much cheaper than what you are looking at right now) for next year and then plan a birthday she will truly never forget with all the bells and whistles possible at Disney.

Ian
09-23-2009, 08:05 AM
GO!
If you can afford it. Do it.:ditto:

:ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto:

Seriously, though ... we routintely spend $500 or $600 on our kids' birthday parties at home anyway ... what's an extra couple hundred bucks to do it right in Disney World??? GO FOR IT!!

mouseketeer mom
09-23-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm with Ian. Birthday parties at home aren't cheap either. If you can do it, why not?? If its going to compromise your finances then of course the answer should be no. Life is short, this would be exciting and a wonderful memory for you. As I said, if you can do it, and not miss the $1,000, I'd go for it.

GrandFlo
09-23-2009, 09:54 AM
If you can spare the extra money................

I say GO FOR IT!!!

As others mentioned, life is too short, go and have a great time. :thumbsup:

Ian
09-23-2009, 09:56 AM
If its going to compromise your finances then of course the answer should be no ... As I said, if you can do it, and not miss the $1,000, I'd go for it.Yeah, I got carried away with my dittos there, so I forgot to mention ... I pre-assumed that your finances were such that this was doable for you with no negative repercussions.

I kinda didn't think you'd be asking if you were going to have to miss the mortgage payment to go!

lighteningqueen
09-23-2009, 10:22 AM
We are going for 10 days in Dec our flights are for the 2 of us 290.00 RT Hotel and tickets are about $1400.00 with free dining so a trip for 10 days $1700.00 thats only 700 more than you are going to pay and we get 10 days!!!! I say wait, but I bet you are like me just want to go and it does not matter how or how much at this point right? Maybe can you get those airfares down??? It seems that is where you are paying the most because hotel and tickets do not add up to that much. Think on changing airfare first then rethink it. Also loosing nap time and how many rides can she ride in that one day for her age and height?

Mr_Increddieble
09-23-2009, 03:45 PM
To me this a quintissential Intercot thread. We don't really want to hear what someone else would do-but rather the reasons why they would do something (or not do something) so we can make a decision (Pros and Cons).
Or sometimes sentiment is so overwhelming (as it is here) that despite the advice of someone on the other side (ie.-You Only Live Once) thet really hits the mark we are compelled to take the overwhelming choice.
I used to go to Grateful Dead concerts and we would spend our last dime to go. And Disney is a little like that - there's only one way to scratch that itch and that is to go. It's pure fun.

Sometimes in life a situation presents itself and despite an overwhelming sentiment, nay sometimes because of it, we are emboldened to do the opposite of what is rational and responsible. So I'm saying read the posts, weigh the options, consider the lopsided response, then toss it all out the window because it will have had its' effect. If after all that you still must go...

Ian
09-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Ha ha ... I actually agree with you, but I have to admit to be a very big "live life to the fullest" kind of guy. I'm not really known for being fiscally wise, however. :blush:

The way I'd look at this is ... if I have $1,000 and I can have a once-in-a-lifetime experience with it, why wouldn't I do that?? If I don't spend it, it's just numbers on a sheet somewhere. Money has absolutely no value unless it's exchanged for goods and services. Otherwise it's just ... paper. Its only power is in its ability to be exchanged.

I subscribe to the old adage, "I'd rather die a million bucks behind than a million bucks ahead!!!"

Mousemates
09-23-2009, 09:40 PM
I subscribe to the old adage, "I'd rather die a million bucks behind than a million bucks ahead!!!"

not necessarily a bad plan...just make sure your the last in your family to go (so someone else doesn't have to foot the bill) ...or that you have plenty of life insurance. lol.

Running_Bell
09-24-2009, 12:43 PM
We had this same delimma when our DS was about 3. We weighed the pros and cons and this is what we found:
pros:
fun
magical
once in a life time trip
birthday he won't forget
not as expensive as a longer trip
miss less days at school/work
not promised tomorrow... life is short!

cons:
spending the money on such a short trip would mean the longer trip would have to be postponed even longer

The drive down for one day with a 3 year old would be too exhausting for everyone... but especially him and we wanted the experience to be not rushed.

He would not remember and would not be old enough to do much at 3.

____our decision____

We took the exact amount we would have spent and put it in a WDW savings account. We saved up until he was 5 (a great age to go) and had enough to fly down, stay on site and have a 7 day park hopper pass. No one was rushed... he could ride every ride, and he didn't get as exhausted. I wouldn't change a thing.... plus the excitement of putting money aside for a big WDW trip was fun.

diz_girl
09-24-2009, 02:51 PM
It sounds like a great idea, but I'd say that it would only be worth it if it went without a hitch and if you wouldn't miss the money, which you won't know until after it happens. Since you live in northern Indiana and you're planning on going in January, I'd expect that you'll have a better than average chance of travel hitches.

So I'd vote that it wouldn't be worth it, since there are so many things that can go wrong. As a pp mentioned, there isn't time for a plan B. So put that $1000 towards your next vacation at WDW. You can have a longer trip or upgrade your accommodations for $1,000.