PDA

View Full Version : Cali Grill request question

Meteora
09-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Hi everyone!
In February my parents are taking a trip to Orlando with their best friends, who have never been to Disney world and are both excited about going. They're only spending one day actually in the parks, and they've chosen Epcot because it is the one that is most appealing to them. The only thing they were torn about is that they also wanted to see the fireworks over the castle. I made a few suggestions, starting with getting a park hopper and heading to the MK for the fireworks, and ending with having dinner another night at the Cali grill. I never expected them to go for it, because they tend to eat exactly at 6 every night, and I explained that to do this, they'd have to make a reservation around 7:30 or later. But they looked at the menu and jumped at the idea.

So...I am now in charge of the reservation, being the Disney expert in the fam. I'm planning on booking it online. My parents will be celebrating their anniversary, so I'll enter that. I know there's a good chance they won't be able to see the fireworks from their table, since everyone at the restaurant wants that, but I'd like to give them every opportunity of that happening. My question is how and what should I request to try to get them that fireworks view? Do I need to call? Type something into the online thingie? Again, I know it's a longshot, but I'd rather try than not. Thanks so much for any help. I want to make this brief trip as magical as possible for my parents and their friends.

DreamFinder2
09-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Historically, Wishes has been at either 8pm or 9pm during February. Assuming this is the case in 2010, I'd book your ressie for 7pm. Encourage your parents to make their window request at the check-in stand when they arrive at the Contemporary. Generally, they'll accommodate you...although it might mean a little bit longer wait than normal. That's why you want your ADR time to be early enough that they don't miss Wishes, even if they have to wait longer.

As far as watching Wishes, I always encourage people to go outside onto the 15th floor observation deck and watch from there...in Feb it could be a little chilly, but that is THE place to watch from. Their server will be more-than-willing to time things so they can do this, just make sure your parents let their intentions be known at the beginning of the meal.

Good luck!

TheRustyScupper
09-20-2009, 12:20 PM
1) Restaurant seating requests are no taken in advance.
2) They can only be made at the podium when you check-in at the eatery.
3) They can ask, and see what happens.

Meteora
09-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks so much! I will let them know. I guess I was thinking more of hotel accommodations, where you have to request a certain room view before you check in!

Thanks for the tip about the earlier ADR. Would not have thought of that.