PDA

View Full Version : Tipping on the dining plan

Genie1953
09-19-2009, 07:16 PM
i know that an 18% tip is expected but has anyone ever tipped less than that?

Strmchsr
09-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Sometimes at the buffets, but I know these CMs work hard for their money so I usually tip the requested amount or more.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-19-2009, 09:37 PM
We've tipped lower a time or two, but generally at Disney we find the service quite good and we tip at least 18%.

Genie1953
09-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Oh we fully intend to pay the 18% but with all the trip reports indicating poor quality of service and food we were just wondering if anyone tips less because of this and what was the reaction?

dtootsie42
09-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Oh we fully intend to pay the 18% but with all the trip reports indicating poor quality of service and food we were just wondering if anyone tips less because of this and what was the reaction?

I have to agree with this...if the service or the food is poor quality why should we tip the 18%?! My hubby and I have been discussing this and have decided that if either the service or food is poor we will not do the 18% which would be a first for us. I'm hoping we have great food and service...some of the dining reports are pretty dismal.

GrmGrninGost
09-20-2009, 02:01 AM
We just got back from WDW 4 days ago. We found the service to be FANTASTIC this trip! I have no trouble with leaving less than an 18% tip if the level of service dictates doing so. On this trip, we left at least 18% and usually more. :mickey:

brian2000boston
09-20-2009, 08:01 AM
We will do the 18% if the service is good. We will not change tip based on food quality as i dont believe the servers have control over the chef(s). If it isnt good, send it back and see how the server heandles this for you. as for buffets, last year we did 18% but i dont feel like they gave us half the atttention of a sit down. We will adjust accordingly this year on a per dining basis.

Seasonscraps
09-20-2009, 10:54 AM
We will do the 18% if the service is good. We will not change tip based on food quality as i dont believe the servers have control over the chef(s). If it isnt good, send it back and see how the server heandles this for you. as for buffets, last year we did 18% but i dont feel like they gave us half the atttention of a sit down. We will adjust accordingly this year on a per dining basis.

We gauge our tips the same way.

Hammer
09-20-2009, 11:08 AM
I have to agree with this...if the service or the food is poor quality why should we tip the 18%?! My hubby and I have been discussing this and have decided that if either the service or food is poor we will not do the 18% which would be a first for us. I'm hoping we have great food and service...some of the dining reports are pretty dismal.

Why are you penalizing the wait staff for the food quality? They do not prepare the food and your decrease in tip does not affect the chef, only the waiter/waitress who is not at fault. I agree with adjusting a tip due to service, but not food quality.

TheRustyScupper
09-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Why are you penalizing the wait staff for the food quality?
. . . because if the quality is bad, the waiter should not serve it
. . . the waiter also should insist the presentation is good
. . . the waiter is the link between the guest and the cook
. . . their job is more than to just bring the food
. . . that is my differentiation between a "server" and a "waiter"
. . . I prefer to have a waiter

We've tipped lower a time or two, but generally at Disney we find the service quite good and we tip at least 18%.
. . . our standard tip is 15% for good service.
. . . great service gets more
. . . mediocre or poor service gets less, or none

dtootsie42
09-20-2009, 01:07 PM
I was asked why penalize the wait staff if the food is poor....because as the RustyScupper said if the quality is bad, the waiter should not serve it, the waiter is the link between the guest and the cook, their job is more than to just bring the food.

A family friend who was a waiter for years stated if the waiter notices that a steak is bloody and the customer ordered well done they should take it back to the chef not out to the customer. This is a small example but she said she is always amazed when she goes out to eat and she is served food the is burnt or thrown together. At some places the waiters put together the salads so getting the correct salad dressing on the salad is up to the waiter. These are of course simple examples I won't go into some of the awful things she said she has seen but she stated there is nothing wrong with not tipping 18-20% if the food is of poor quality. Both the waiter and the chef represent the restaurant and both should do their best so that the customer has a wonderful experience and wants to return.

This is just my :twocents: but I can't see tipping 18% if the food is of poor quality.

Hammer
09-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Sorry, still disagree with both of you. The waitstaff at many of the WDW park restaurants are not professional waiters, but servers on the College Program who for the most part do not plan to be waiters for the rest of their lives. Can you imagine how expensive the food would be if they hired professional waitstaff for the theme park restaurants :eek: ? So, I do not have the same expectation for my waiter at Le Cellier as I do for my waiter at the Fountain restaurant at the Four Seasons Philadelphia.

We have tipped lower than 18% on a couple occasions if our waitstaff has given us less than adequate service, the last time being the Captain's Grille for breakfast in May 2008, where the waiter tried to rush us through our meal. I will not be rushed.

LoriSan
09-20-2009, 06:55 PM
I did last Sun at O'Hana's. We were at our table for over 40 minutes and hadn't gotten any meats yet. The entire meal took well over 1 1/2 hours.

John
09-21-2009, 11:25 AM
I can tell you there are times I have tipped less (rarely - but it does happen) and there are times I have doubled the 18% and made it a point to talk to a manager about how wonderful a server was.

Personally, I leave 20% at all times is service was adequate to good, more if it was excellent, and usually in the 10-15% range if it was really poor. I think maybe 2 times in my life have I ever stiffed someone on a tip and the service was non existant at that point - waiter took 20 minutes just to even come visit us for the first time, food took an hour to get to the table, and we never saw our server till the check came.

If the food quality is bad but the service was good - I'd be more likely to tip the waiter appropriately, but then talk to a manager about the problem and possibly even ask for the item to be taken back or removed from the bill.

Mickey'sGirl
09-21-2009, 11:45 AM
The one think I will NEVER understand is the tipping less at a Buffet attitude. I think the waiters/servers actually do more running and fetching for me at a Buffet type restaurant (clearing multiple plates, getting drinks etc) ... All that, and my kids don't need to wait for their food? It's a win win situation for us! :thumbsup:

We are 20% tippers regardless of the type of establishment or whatever kind of dining plan/discount we are using. If service is poor, it will be less. If the food is poor, I ask for the manager.

DisneyFr33k
09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
As it only comes to a couple of bucks, and the math is easier, we tip 20% for good service and 15% if we are displeased for any reason. Two years ago we had a bad waiter for Liberty Tree - didn't refill drinks, made excuses etc. = 15%. And a visit to Crystal Palace was even worse. The service was so bad that we had to go pour our own water to quench our thirst.

whymsycalwitch
09-21-2009, 11:59 AM
This will be our first time using the Dining Plan, so this is an interesting thread to me. I'm curious as to if there is a suggested tip printed on the bill. Being so close to NYC I'm use to going to dinner and the bill including, at the bottom, a list of suggested tips for 10% 15% 18% and 20%. It is nice for those of us who failed simple math. (Goddess love the Tip Calculator on my cell phone) So how does it work? they bring you the bill and say this is what you would have paid, then you just figure the tip and leave that?

TheRustyScupper
09-21-2009, 12:02 PM
When paying $30 for a meal,
. . . do I really care about the staff's background?
. . . do I really care if the staff are CP's or VP's?
. . . do I really care if the staff is part time or full time?
. . . do I really care if the staff is temporary or seasonal?

When paying $30 for a meal, what I do are about
. . . is the service cheerful and polite
. . . is the service prompt
. . . is the service presenting attractive food
. . . is the service bringing me what I ordered
. . . is the service brining my food how I ordered it
. . . is the service a compliment to the food or a detriment to the food

Basically, I do not care who the people are.

I want the level of service the price dictates.

NOTE: The reasoning of don't complain because they are college kids" is like saying, my auto was made by temporary assembly line workers, so if it isn't what I wanted or how I wanted it or it falls apart, accept it and still tip the salesman.

Hammer
09-21-2009, 12:10 PM
I can tell you there are times I have tipped less (rarely - but it does happen) and there are times I have doubled the 18% and made it a point to talk to a manager about how wonderful a server was.

Personally, I leave 20% at all times is service was adequate to good, more if it was excellent, and usually in the 10-15% range if it was really poor. I think maybe 2 times in my life have I ever stiffed someone on a tip and the service was non existant at that point - waiter took 20 minutes just to even come visit us for the first time, food took an hour to get to the table, and we never saw our server till the check came.

If the food quality is bad but the service was good - I'd be more likely to tip the waiter appropriately, but then talk to a manager about the problem and possibly even ask for the item to be taken back or removed from the bill.

Actually, that is pretty much how I handle it as well. Now, we like to take our time eating and are not in a rush. If the wait staff tries to rush us, that is a big no-no with us. However, I do expect the waiter/waitress to come back and check on us. Another pet peeve is is the server starts to explain menu selections and we did not ask. If I have a question, I'll ask, especially if the explanation is wrong (one time had someone try to explain pancetta and was absolutely wrong).

Also, if I am with my mother, who uses a wheelchair, I check at how they treat her. If she isn't treated well, the tip is going to reflect that.

brian2000boston
09-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Tipping is a personal decision and there really isnt a right or wrong on this topic, but i do respect people being passionate about it.

anywhere between 15-20% is a good tip IMHO however i do respect those that choose to go above and beyond and understand at times when people are displeased and want to go lower.

The 15-20% is more of a generic guidline people have created and it is always best to use your individual judgement at the time of service.

MNNHFLTX
09-21-2009, 12:16 PM
This will be our first time using the Dining Plan, so this is an interesting thread to me. I'm curious as to if there is a suggested tip printed on the bill. Being so close to NYC I'm use to going to dinner and the bill including, at the bottom, a list of suggested tips for 10% 15% 18% and 20%. It is nice for those of us who failed simple math. (Goddess love the Tip Calculator on my cell phone) So how does it work? they bring you the bill and say this is what you would have paid, then you just figure the tip and leave that?With the dining plan you do get calculated "suggestions" at the bottom of the bill as far as what to tip for 15% and 20%. I guess they want to make sure people understand what the total tipping value of the meal is, before the dining credits are applied.

DisneyFr33k
09-21-2009, 01:07 PM
With the dining plan you do get calculated "suggestions" at the bottom of the bill as far as what to tip for 15% and 20%. I guess they want to make sure people understand what the total tipping value of the meal is, before the dining credits are applied.

And, don't forget not to count taxes that are added. I always forget that.

prttynpnk
09-21-2009, 04:06 PM
We are 20% tippers regardless of the type of establishment or whatever kind of dining plan/discount we are using. If service is poor, it will be less. If the food is poor, I ask for the manager.
This is our feeling too. I also feel like they do a job that I couldn't stand and they should be treated well for it when they are personable and do a good job.

SallyMcQueen
09-21-2009, 05:37 PM
As a former waitress and bartender I have to totally disagree with tipping less for food quality. How is the server to know if the food doesn't taste good? Generally the only way they would know something is not right with your dish is if you tell them. I cannot tell you the number of times customers complained that the food didn't taste good, was underdone, overdone etc. yet they ate all of the food and never asked for it to be fixed.

I always tip 20%, regardless of buffet or sit down anywhere I go. The only times I will tip less is if the server is not doing his/her job. If food takes a long time to come from the kitchen, that is not the server's fault, but if they completely ignore the fact that you have been waiting for your food for quite some time and do not at least try to figure out what is taking so long then that is the fault of the server.

Sorry for the rant.

cmshelton1979
09-21-2009, 10:31 PM
This is a touchy subject. When you are paying 1200-1500 for your food, then you are going to add in say another 150 in tipping on top of that.....

I am not saying I don't tip, but I do not tip as generously as I do back home unless the service is above and beyond.

Seasonscraps
09-21-2009, 10:39 PM
This is a touchy subject. When you are paying 1200-1500 for your food, then you are going to add in say another 150 in tipping on top of that.....

I am not saying I don't tip, but I do not tip as generously as I do back home unless the service is above and beyond.

I don't understand this. The standard tip for good service is 15% then adjusted up or down for quality of service (which is 180-225 using your numbers). I always consider that to be part of the cost of dining out. I chose which restaurants I go to based on cuisine & price point. If I want to spend less money on a meal, I eat some place less expensive - I don't tip at a lower rate.

cmshelton1979
09-21-2009, 10:55 PM
I don't understand this. The standard tip for good service is 15% then adjusted up or down for quality of service (which is 180-225 using your numbers). I always consider that to be part of the cost of dining out. I chose which restaurants I go to based on cuisine & price point. If I want to spend less money on a meal, I eat some place less expensive - I don't tip at a lower rate.

The last two times I've been to DW I've been on the deluxe dining plan. I've paid for the whole package up front. I don't know about you, but I don't have an unlimited income. I have budgeted my money so I can afford my trip. Like I said, I am not saying I don't tip......its just harder for me to tip 15-20% for average service......like I might be inclined to do back here in Indiana. Spending 3-4k for my trip is a once a year thing, so I have to pick and choose.

Seasonscraps
09-21-2009, 11:12 PM
The last two times I've been to DW I've been on the deluxe dining plan. I've paid for the whole package up front. I don't know about you, but I don't have an unlimited income. I have budgeted my money so I can afford my trip. Like I said, I am not saying I don't tip......its just harder for me to tip 15-20% for average service......like I might be inclined to do back here in Indiana. Spending 3-4k for my trip is a once a year thing, so I have to pick and choose.

I don't have an unlimited income and set up a budget for my vacations also but I include a 15-20% tip for meals in that budget. So if I choose to spend $200 on a meal, I am consequently choosing to tip $30-40. If I can't afford to spend $230-240 for dinner, I choose another restaurant where the total meal including tax & tip fits my budget better.

ETA...if I were on a dining plan, I would review my ADRs and the menus to ballpark the total check so I can estimate the tip to add to my vacation budget.

Ian
09-22-2009, 08:49 AM
I have to agree with this...if the service or the food is poor quality why should we tip the 18%?!

. . . because if the quality is bad, the waiter should not serve itI'm sorry, but I've never even heard of someone holding the waiter or server or whatever responsible for bad food! That's ridiculous, IMO. What? Is the guy supposed to taste it before he serves it to me??

Personally, I leave 20% at all times is service was adequate to good, more if it was excellent, and usually in the 10-15% range if it was really poor.

If the food quality is bad but the service was good - I'd be more likely to tip the waiter appropriately, but then talk to a manager about the problem and possibly even ask for the item to be taken back or removed from the bill.:ditto:

The one think I will NEVER understand is the tipping less at a Buffet attitude.It's pretty much accepted that buffet servers don't get tipped as much as table service servers. They don't really do anything other than bring drinks. We typically tip a buffet server 10% if he/she was exceptionally helpful. If not, then not so much.

In fact, our last trip to WDW I was pretty peeved that, due to our large party size, they added an 18% tip to our bill at Chef Mickey's. That didn't go over well with the non-Disney fanatics in our group, let me tell you.

Tipping is a personal decision and there really isnt a right or wrong on this topic, but i do respect people being passionate about it.I'm not really sure I agree with that. It's pretty much standard that, for average service, you should leave a 15% tip. Above average gets 20%.

I don't really think it's "a personal decision" unless your personal decision is to be cheap and not adequately compensate your servers for their work. Let's remember ... the vast majority of waiters and waitresses are paid an hourly wage under $3 an hour!! :eek:

With the dining plan you do get calculated "suggestions" at the bottom of the bill as far as what to tip for 15% and 20%. I guess they want to make sure people understand what the total tipping value of the meal is, before the dining credits are applied.Actually, I believe it's suggestions for 18% and 20%. I don't recall seeing 15% anywhere on our bills.

The last two times I've been to DW I've been on the deluxe dining plan. I've paid for the whole package up front. I don't know about you, but I don't have an unlimited income. I have budgeted my money so I can afford my trip. Like I said, I am not saying I don't tip......its just harder for me to tip 15-20% for average service......like I might be inclined to do back here in Indiana. Spending 3-4k for my trip is a once a year thing, so I have to pick and choose.Well with all due respect, it doesn't sound like you're budgeting properly. Tipping 15% to 20% is required regardless of where you're dining and how much the bill is.

I mean, you can't stretch your budget to the max to eat at Capital Grille and then tip the waiter 5% because that's all you have left!

brian2000boston
09-22-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm not really sure I agree with that. It's pretty much standard that, for average service, you should leave a 15% tip. Above average gets 20%.

I don't really think it's "a personal decision" unless your personal decision is to be cheap and not adequately compensate your servers for their work. Let's remember ... the vast majority of waiters and waitresses are paid an hourly wage under $3 an hour!! :eek:

It is a personal decision, when something is a thank you then it is a choice to give, fair or cheap, If someone cant afford the tip they should still be able to eat wherever they chose. Tipping is also known as gratuities, (A favor or gift, usually in the form of money, given in return for service). This is not an obligation but an option. I agree they deserve a tip as a thank you for great service, but who are any of us to tell people what they should or shouldnt do with this topic.

MNNHFLTX
09-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Actually, I believe it's suggestions for 18% and 20%. I don't recall seeing 15% anywhere on our bills.You might be right about that--I do remember seeing the amount calculated for 20%, but it might have been 18%, rather than 15%--I can't say for sure.

I agree the previous poster that it is a personal decision as to how much to tip (if not, it would automatically be included in all bills, of course, regardless of how many people are in your party). However, if some people tend to tip below the norm for service that is at least average (which most consider to be 15%), they should have their conscience to contend with, I guess.

I often wish our tipping ettiquette was more like England's, which we greatly appreciated when we were there. There are less situations where it is considered necessary to tip and in restaurants in particular, the wait staff is compensated at a higher rate by the establishment and the standard tip (if you choose to do so) is 10%. That is a lot easier to figure out than 15% or 18%, etc. A bartender in a pub even gave back my husband a tip that he offered when picking up a couple of beverages at the bar.

Ian
09-22-2009, 02:33 PM
It is a personal decision, when something is a thank you then it is a choice to give, fair or cheap, If someone cant afford the tip they should still be able to eat wherever they chose. Tipping is also known as gratuities, (A favor or gift, usually in the form of money, given in return for service). This is not an obligation but an option. I agree they deserve a tip as a thank you for great service, but who are any of us to tell people what they should or shouldnt do with this topic.I'm not telling anyone anything ... I'm just saying that in the U.S. waiters and waitresses depend on tips for their income. Period.

I realize the intention of a tip is to reward good service (and, as Beth has already pointed out, it still is like that in some countries) but here in the United States it just isn't like that. Tips of between 15% and 20% are socially accepted and pretty much standard.

I get what you're saying, but my position is that if your budget doesn't allow you to tip your server adequately then you're eating in the wrong place. Part of the "budget" for any meal in the United States is the 15% to 20% gratuity.

renecat
09-22-2009, 02:50 PM
As a former waitress and bartender I have to totally disagree with tipping less for food quality. How is the server to know if the food doesn't taste good? Generally the only way they would know something is not right with your dish is if you tell them. I cannot tell you the number of times customers complained that the food didn't taste good, was underdone, overdone etc. yet they ate all of the food and never asked for it to be fixed.

I always tip 20%, regardless of buffet or sit down anywhere I go. The only times I will tip less is if the server is not doing his/her job. If food takes a long time to come from the kitchen, that is not the server's fault, but if they completely ignore the fact that you have been waiting for your food for quite some time and do not at least try to figure out what is taking so long then that is the fault of the server.

Sorry for the rant.
I have to agree was just at the world two weeks ago. At lecellier my cousins steak was rare when she had ordered medium. She didn't say anything because she ate some of my steak we were on the deluxe plan to much food. So when our waiter picked up our plate I mentioned this to him although we were still tipping him 20%,. He came back and told us he had comped our glasses of wine for this. Thought that was very nice. One night we ate at Narcooses and spent several hours there between watching fireworks and water pagent.
It was my sisters turn to tip so she tip 20% and I tossed another 20.00 in because we had sat at this guys table so long. I try to treat people the way I would like to be treated.

cmshelton1979
09-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Well with all due respect, it doesn't sound like you're budgeting properly. Tipping 15% to 20% is required regardless of where you're dining and how much the bill is.

I mean, you can't stretch your budget to the max to eat at Capital Grille and then tip the waiter 5% because that's all you have left![/QUOTE]

Actually tipping is not REQUIRED. Tipping is something that we do because of good service, but it is not required.....I understand that this is how these people make their living, I have friends who are waiters and waitresses....coming to Disney is a great experience that I try to give my family, if that means me tipping a little bit less than 15-20% a few times.......so be it.....I am there to show my family a good time, not to make sure that the wait staff has made their 20% tip off my table.

Ian
09-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because anything I would say in response to that would almost certainly get me in trouble.

cmshelton1979
09-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Fair enough.....I understand some of you are hard core tippers, and I can be that way too if the service merits it.

Goes4FastPass
09-23-2009, 01:43 PM
It is a personal decision, when something is a thank you then it is a choice to give, fair or cheap, If someone cant afford the tip they should still be able to eat wherever they chose...

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and this one is simply wrong.

If you can't afford to tip then order something less expensive or eat somewhere that costs less.

When a customer makes a "choice" to stiff a server whose income depends on tips simple because the customer can't afford it the server can't pay her/his bills.

brian2000boston
09-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and this one is simply wrong.

If you can't afford to tip then order something less expensive or eat somewhere that costs less.

When a customer makes a "choice" to stiff a server whose income depends on tips simple because the customer can't afford it the server can't pay her/his bills.

I would like to make something clear on my viewpoint. I do not disagree that people should tip, I tip very well and sometimes to well. What i am saying is it isnt anyones place to judge what someone can or should tip, that is at there own discretion. This is not a law or a rule, but the choice of the person leaving the tip. Who is anyone to tell someone what is right or wrong when it is up to them how much to leave.

Laughin' place
09-24-2009, 02:06 PM
A prior poster made a comment about "treating others the way I would want to be treated".
I think he or she may be on to something....:thumbsup:

prprincess
09-24-2009, 02:38 PM
I tip the same way on the dining plan as I do when I'm eating at a restaurant here at home. 15% average service, 18% good, and 20% excellent. Rarely do I go under 15% because I know that waitstaff rely heavily on tips. Unless the person is horrid, but knock on wood, that's usually few and far between.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-24-2009, 03:02 PM
I normally tip the 18% or slightly more...but maybe just a bit less if the service is not up to par....on penalizing the server for poor food quality that would depend....is it obvious something is wrong with the food...like is it burned or cooked wrong-if it is obvious well then yes I would hold them accountable, but otherwise I would judge them on how well they would handle a complaint....do they cheerfully offer to take it back and have it corrected or just shrug and walk off....

KSS
09-24-2009, 07:46 PM
I always wonder why people seem to feel so sorry for the poor waiter or waitress. It seems reasonable that at a fairly busy restaurant a waiter would have maybe 4 tables an hour (avg). If each table had a $100 bill for their meal, even at a measly cheap 10% tip that is $40 an hour plus the $3 wage. Am I the only person that thinks $43 an hour is GOOD money?? And thats on the low end. Any group of 4 at a TS in WDW is probably going to have a bill closer to $150 or more... at 15% tip that is $22.50 for 1 table.
If someone has a 6 hour dinner shift and serves only 12 tables averaging $150 a table with a 15% tip it would work out to be $45 an hour ($54 an hour with 18% and $60 an hour with 20%). While many people will tip at 18%-20% or more most people will give a minimum of 15%.
Where I come from that is good money. Yes I know they give a small percentage to the hostess and busboy but it is still good money.
I do they they deserve it BUT only if they earn it by providing great service.

Seasonscraps
09-24-2009, 08:42 PM
I always wonder why people seem to feel so sorry for the poor waiter or waitress. It seems reasonable that at a fairly busy restaurant a waiter would have maybe 4 tables an hour (avg). If each table had a $100 bill for their meal, even at a measly cheap 10% tip that is $40 an hour plus the $3 wage. Am I the only person that thinks $43 an hour is GOOD money?? And thats on the low end. Any group of 4 at a TS in WDW is probably going to have a bill closer to $150 or more... at 15% tip that is $22.50 for 1 table.
If someone has a 6 hour dinner shift and serves only 12 tables averaging $150 a table with a 15% tip it would work out to be $45 an hour ($54 an hour with 18% and $60 an hour with 20%). While many people will tip at 18%-20% or more most people will give a minimum of 15%.
Where I come from that is good money. Yes I know they give a small percentage to the hostess and busboy but it is still good money.

I am not sure about Disney restaurants but in others I know the wait staff has to tip out to other staff members like the bus boys, bartender, etc so they don't keep the entire tip.

Plus their wages are based on 8% of sales - not necessarily what they receive in tips. So it may be possible that they are taxed for more then they actually earn/take home when you deduct the amount they tip out.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-25-2009, 08:54 AM

Oh, I certainly don't feel sorry for them...my aunt is a waitress and makes way more money than I do...BTW, I have a college degree and work for a state agency....she is a waitress and has had several oversees vacations, travels within the states several times a year and her home and car are paid for...so no, I don't feel sorry for them

Goes4FastPass
09-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Anyone can calculate a theoretical percent and multiply that times tables and hours. The reality of what servers get paid is different.

I think WDW restaurant workers put up with a lot and I also have had good and bad servers. I should probably do better about sliding my tipping scale up and down for better and worse.

Buffet servers just bring drinks!? At the actual buffets at actual Disney World servers are on the run clearing plates and fecthing this that and the other.

And this whole "OMG! 18% of $1,000 is $180! OMG!" is boring. Calculated automatically included service charge for large groups is common in restaurants because the tendency is to pay too little.

I don't feel sorry for anybody except maybe people who don't want to tip and feel like they need to explain why they don't.

Ian
09-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Waiters and waitresses don't keep all the tips they make. They have to share them out with the bus-staff, the bartenders, hosts and hostesses. It's not like the money you give them gets shoved in their pockets. Tips are pooled and split among the entire staff, so if your server actually keeps 25% of what you give him that might be generous.

Trust me ... I know people who wait tables in WDW ... they're scraping by ...

Mickey'sGirl
09-25-2009, 10:35 AM
I don't feel sorry for anybody except maybe people who don't want to tip and feel like they need to explain why they don't.
...and I ABSOLUTELY agree with you.

Gusgus
09-25-2009, 01:00 PM
I tip on the wait staff not the food
- How friendly they are
- How knowledgeable they are
- How they handle my complaints
- How well they do keeping my glass full without my asking

KSS
09-26-2009, 02:10 PM

I hope your not referring to me because I never said I didn't want to tip or that I don't tip. I happen to be one of the few that tip well as long as the service is good. Great service = great tip... poor service = less tip.

Mrs Bus Driver
09-27-2009, 09:52 AM
. . . because if the quality is bad, the waiter should not serve it
. . . the waiter also should insist the presentation is good
. . . the waiter is the link between the guest and the cook
. . . their job is more than to just bring the food
. . . that is my differentiation between a "server" and a "waiter"
. . . I prefer to have a waiter

. . . our standard tip is 15% for good service.
. . . great service gets more
. . . mediocre or poor service gets less, or none
I agree with you Rusty. I used to be a waitress and the tip should always be based on the level of service you receive. If something is wrong with the food how did the waiter/waitress resolve the problem. Anyone expecting to be tipped simply because they put a plate in front of you needs to look for another line of work. While they may not be paid a lot some of them do really well from their tips. IMHO :mickey:

pixiesmimi
09-27-2009, 08:05 PM
I tip based on the level of service. I don't like being made to feel guilty by the server/waiter if I don't tip them at least 18% because that is the going rate. My pet peeve is the server who bugs us to death during dinner by constantly asking how it is instead of just checking periodically about our drinks or taking dishes away and then writing in what he/she thinks you "owe" him in tip. That applies to other services also, not just restaurants. I hate nothing more than the current fad of them asking at the register, how much tip do you want to add to that? If I want to give someone a tip, I will and feel less likely to do so if they stand there with their hand out. Whatever happened to this being a "reward" for good work, not a "right" because they actually did what they are being paid to do. With this said, I usually tip 15% unless they do an outstanding job and then tip 18%.

Rayadragon
11-13-2009, 12:04 PM
We just got back from our disney trip, and I was just curious on the tipping issue. Yes we went during free dining, but we felt for the most part that service during the meals was absolutly atrocious, with the general attitude that tiping was mandatory, not optional.

We had no objections to tipping 15-20% at the start of our trip, if we had average-great service. However, the service was so terrible, we found ourselves not tipping. Many cases, we saw our servers three times during the entire meal: to get the drink order, to bring the drink order/get the food order, and to drop off the bill (while making sure we were aware that we were obligated to tip 18%). No refills (on drinks with refills), no plate clearing, no food delivery (other staff obviously), no checking if the food was even okay. Nothing. On one particularly memorable occasion, the waitress followed my dad out of the dining room demanding her tip (for again, no service). Yes, I realize they're busy, but it's very hard to tip anything as a gratuity when the thing you're most thankful for was being lucky enough to see your server long enough to order your meal.

The few times we actually recieved good service, we tipped 20-25% out of shock that there were still good waiters/waitresses at disney.

jillluvsdisney
11-13-2009, 05:28 PM
We always leave 18 to 20 %. If the service is bad (I can only think of one meal in 9 years) then it's 15 %.

I have to disagree with an earlier poster. It seems to me that many servers in the college program and at the "home country" restaurants at EPCOT. Thinking about all the other meals/servers we have had, they all seemed to be older than college age.

We seem to get chatty with our servers and I've talked to more than a few who have worked at WDW restaurants for many, many years.

PETE FROM NYC
11-14-2009, 05:41 PM
I think that tipping is getting out of hand lately. For many years, 15% was normal, and I think that was adequate. The last few years tips of 18 and 20% are being sugested. Why?
As food prices go up, tipping goes up with it.The meal that cost $15 a few years ago now costs $35, so the amount of the tip went up accordingly.
Let me relate a small story.
Two years ago, we sold my wife's parents home. Lets assume the house sold for 400K.The house was originally purchased for 25K back in the 1960s.The lawywer doing the closing stated that for his 40+ years in practice the standard closing fee was 1/2 % of the selling price.So the lawyer still gets a good fee .
Same percentage, but rising prices are still giving big bucks.

FLKatie912
11-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Just having woken up after one of the worst Saturday nights I've ever worked at a restaurant...I contemplated not posting on this topic because I may be extra sensitive. I think people could learn from servers point of view.

I've worked in restaurants since I was 16, in various positions. The previous posters have been right
-Servers do make less than 3 dollars for their wage (In Wisconsin, it's only $2.33)
-You are correct tipping should be (15%-20%)
-If you are receiving above average service it should be near that higher end of percentages or above
- Poor service = less tip, Of course!!

Here's just another opinion from a server:

I am a great waitress. I am lead trainer at my restaurant, and I'm also a coporate trainer. I know I'm in that position because I'm good at my job. While I'm serving, I do except to get good tips. I just disheartens me to see how many people feel like they shouldn't tip, or how they can't budget for a proper tip. This is why; on the average shift you get multiple "bad tips", when you get a "good" one, it just averages out that bad tip, not giving you extra money, which is better than nothing of course. I like to think that sometimes when I get a poor tip, it's because people don't understand that we don't make min. wage, and they dont' know better. However, when you take in account that, and find people who know about tipping procedures and don't do it...that just is real unfortunate for that server.

I appreciate the people that are saying "treat others like you'd like to be treated". That's exactly right! I know many servers that treat their tables poorly if they think they aren't going to tip. I always say "Treat everyone the same, because if you give them great service, and everyone else in the past has given them poor service, you're going to be the one that gets a good tip 'cause they aren't used to having good service". Along with treating everyone like you'd like to be treated...don't take up a table for hours if you intend to tip poorly. That happened to be last night, and it was absoultely irritating. If you take up a table a long time, that server cannot receive another table and another tip. If you intend to tip well for using it, by all means then. In a nutshell, one boy came early waited for 30 minutes for his parents, then waited 20 more minutes for another couple, then were waiting for one more, and he didn't come, so 20 minutes later they ordered, finished eating for about 20 min, THEN the last person showed up, ordered and proceeded to sit there the REST of my shift. They had seperate checks and the one half gave me 20% the other less than 10%. How irritating:mad:! They were there for at LEAST 3 hours.

Getting back on target, I don't say that a 20% tip is REQUIRED, or tipping at all is. I just say that if you do get great service a tip should be required in your budget.

mainemajor
11-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Tipping is a personal decision and there really isnt a right or wrong on this topic, but i do respect people being passionate about it.

anywhere between 15-20% is a good tip IMHO however i do respect those that choose to go above and beyond and understand at times when people are displeased and want to go lower.

The 15-20% is more of a generic guidline people have created and it is always best to use your individual judgement at the time of service.

Well said. Thank you.

mom2morgan
11-15-2009, 11:10 AM
I find it interesting to see the wide variations in what people consider good service. I've generally found the service in Disney adequate to my standards, although I realize that sometimes they get very, very busy and it just isn't possible to get back to every table as frequently as would be idea. But it suprises me that some people tip based upon personality, such as friendliness. Here's an example: last time we were at Chef Mickey's we had a waiter who was rather brusque and abrupt. NOT rude, but definitely NOT friendly. My husband was making noises about not tipping him, although I felt the service itself was fine. What made the difference for my husband was that Goofy somehow missed our table entirely - our server noticed without us even saying anything, and re-directed Goofy to our table. We decided that efficient service that meets our needs was far more important than personality.

CiaoBella312
11-15-2009, 02:28 PM
First, it is a shame that Disney chose to do away with the included tipping in the dining plan; I would have preferred them to add $5 to the plan price ($44.95 instead of the $39.95) per person per day if necessary and keep the tipping included (I don't care if they discontinued the appetizer). I say this because one of the purposes of doing the dining plan is to feel you've prepaid for your meals. I have a MYW package including park hoppers and dining plan for four people. That means Disney has use of my money for a minimum of a month and a half before I set foot on property. In exchange for paying everything up front, it is expected that you don't have to be worrying about how much money to apportion (and one of the advantages of the dining plan is not worrying about the cost of the meal you are ordering; if you're tipping on the price, then it does matter even though you've prepaid).

Having said that (and that's a Disney issue, not a server issue), I can't imagine the big deal about tipping appropriately. I can't imagine not tipping well unless the service was bad enough that I need to call a manager over. Friendly is better, efficient is best, but bottom line, if they have met my needs, brought me what I wish and taken away what I no longer need and make the meal a good experience, then they are getting tipped, and for me, that's 20%. I just figure 10% of the meal price and double it. Talk of 18% or not including tax may mean a dollar or two here or there on most meals. Disney is not an inexpensive proposition, not if you bring your own breakfast and snacks, not if you stay off-property, not if you have a "deal", this is a luxury in life to be able to enjoy "the world". Tipping is a small portion of enjoying this luxury.

Better to make people feel appreciated and not ill-used than worry over a dollar or two here or there.

mom2morgan
11-15-2009, 03:02 PM
First, it is a shame that Disney chose to do away with the included tipping in the dining plan; I would have preferred them to add $5 to the plan price ($44.95 instead of the $39.95) per person per day if necessary and keep the tipping included .

While I totally agree, I have heard that when tips were automatic sometimes the service suffered. Why try to hard if you know you are getting a tip anyway, right?

CiaoBella312
11-15-2009, 05:06 PM
While I totally agree, I have heard that when tips were automatic sometimes the service suffered. Why try to hard if you know you are getting a tip anyway, right?

According to what I'm reading on this board, many of the servers don't seem to be trying so hard (in the opinion of some). This is all very subjective what "good" and "bad" service is. Perhaps not having the staff know beforehand if people are paying regular or DDP would solve that or some sort of incentive for servers for getting good feedback from customers and asking them to fill out comment cards. I'm not sure there is a perfect answer but I do know that servers need to be compensated for their work and Disney should understand that prepaying for something like the meal plan should include the tipping since people use the plan to budget and NOT have to worry about the price of the food they are getting.

mom2morgan
11-15-2009, 09:00 PM
According to what I'm reading on this board, many of the servers don't seem to be trying so hard (in the opinion of some). This is all very subjective what "good" and "bad" service is. Perhaps not having the staff know beforehand if people are paying regular or DDP would solve that or some sort of incentive for servers for getting good feedback from customers and asking them to fill out comment cards. I'm not sure there is a perfect answer but I do know that servers need to be compensated for their work and Disney should understand that prepaying for something like the meal plan should include the tipping since people use the plan to budget and NOT have to worry about the price of the food they are getting.
Yep - just for convenience! I found it a hassle having to hand over my room card or cash for every tip - I'd much rather just pay higher in the first place.

Genie1953
11-15-2009, 09:52 PM
i know that an 18% tip is expected but has anyone ever tipped less than that?

As the original poster I must step in....I guess I should have expanded further on my original post. We have always been very good tippers....usually anywhere from 18 to 25%. We have also taught our children that (they are all 3 grown now). They learned well...maybe a little too well as I can remember them taking me out for an ice cream sundae while they ordered a root beer float (total cost less than $5) but they would leave a 3-4 dollar tip out of their hard earned paper route money and nothing I could say would change their minds to tip the usual 15-18%. That said my husband and I have on occasion tipped less for terrible service. We generally do not take staff attitude in consideration when deciding to tip less.....tipping less is based solely on quality of service...however a great staff attitude will bring them a much higher tip. My original intent was that I was wondering if the 18% tip is required or can you tip less for poor service...in other words...do you have the option of tipping less or are you forced to pay the 18%?

Seasonscraps
11-15-2009, 09:53 PM
First, it is a shame that Disney chose to do away with the included tipping in the dining plan; I would have preferred them to add $5 to the plan price ($44.95 instead of the $39.95) per person per day if necessary and keep the tipping included (I don't care if they discontinued the appetizer). I say this because one of the purposes of doing the dining plan is to feel you've prepaid for your meals. I have a MYW package including park hoppers and dining plan for four people. That means Disney has use of my money for a minimum of a month and a half before I set foot on property. In exchange for paying everything up front, it is expected that you don't have to be worrying about how much money to apportion (and one of the advantages of the dining plan is not worrying about the cost of the meal you are ordering; if you're tipping on the price, then it does matter even though you've prepaid).

Having said that (and that's a Disney issue, not a server issue), I can't imagine the big deal about tipping appropriately. I can't imagine not tipping well unless the service was bad enough that I need to call a manager over. Friendly is better, efficient is best, but bottom line, if they have met my needs, brought me what I wish and taken away what I no longer need and make the meal a good experience, then they are getting tipped, and for me, that's 20%. I just figure 10% of the meal price and double it. Talk of 18% or not including tax may mean a dollar or two here or there on most meals. Disney is not an inexpensive proposition, not if you bring your own breakfast and snacks, not if you stay off-property, not if you have a "deal", this is a luxury in life to be able to enjoy "the world". Tipping is a small portion of enjoying this luxury.

Better to make people feel appreciated and not ill-used than worry over a dollar or two here or there.

The dining plan is marketed as a convenience for guests but it's really just a money maker for Disney. More people then ever are eating at TS restauants. They are willingly handing their money over in advance for a modest savings. What people spend on the plan is no where near what Disney pays - I wouldn't be surprised if at least 50-60% of the menu price is profit.

When the plan included tips, that was the only part Disney couldn't adjust - 15% of the tab is 15%. So from a business standpoint, it made sense to cut it out. People are still purchasing the plans so there is no reason for them to start including them again.

I completely agree with the rest of your post about the quality of service and tipping appropriately for it. It's part of the cost of dining out and shouldn't be skimped on unless the service was sooooooooo bad.

beksy
11-15-2009, 11:39 PM
My original intent was that I was wondering if the 18% tip is required or can you tip less for poor service...in other words...do you have the option of tipping less or are you forced to pay the 18%?

The receipt comes with a blank line to fill in for the tip amount. You can put in whatever you want but it does list the amounts for 18% and 20%. These aren't the "required" amounts though. It's up to you how much to write in, or how much you want to give in cash. The only exception is with parties of 8 or more. Then the tip is automatically included. I've never traveled with more than two other people since I've been handling the money but I think it is 8 people (if not its 6) and then I think it is an 18% tip that is automatically included.