PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Holiday-Day 1

disneydiva9902
09-19-2009, 06:22 PM
After lurking and reading everyone's trip reports, I decided I had to write mine.

Here it goes...

August 22-29 Honolulu and Kona, HI

Eager Travelers:

Me
DH
DS-9yrs
DD-7yrs

DH and I have been trying to get to Hawaii for the past 15 years and the price was finally right this year! We flew out of Manchester, NH on Saturday morning at 7:00am and changed planes in Chicago. We flew directly from Chicago to Honolulu and landed an hour early. (Yeah!) Surprisingly, no one asked "How much longer" even once on the 8hr flight. We landed at 2pm Hawaii time and 8pm NH time (aka bedtime).

Waiting outside the gate for us was our "limo" (really a white van) driver with our floral leis. We had to pick DD up off the floor when he put on hers. She was in heaven! She could not believe they were real flowers. DS, on the other hand, was horrified that they were purple. Being in Hawaii quickly made up for that though.

We were staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. The room was decent in size. We did not feel cramped and only used it to sleep. The shower had a handheld head which was great for hosing the sand off the kids. They also do not charge for calls anywhere in the US and put postage on our postcards for us.

After a smooth check-in, we quickly changed into our swimsuits and headed for the beach. The actual sand portion was much smaller than I anticipated and it was packed with people. We managed to squeeze ourselves in, dropped the towels and dove into the Pacific. AHHHHH, love the warm, blue ocean. Living in New England you forget the ocean can be that warm. It was fantastic and just what everyone needed to get over the time change and the many hours of travel.

After the beach, we changed and headed out for a quick dinner. We walked around Kalakaua Avenue for a while and saw amazing Chinese Acrobats, a great Hawaiian singing group and many, many, many, many stores that I wanted to shop in much to DH's dismay. Armani, Gucci, Chanel, Tiffany's, Rolex just to name a few. You know all the stores that are fun to look in but not too practical to purchase things in. It was window shopping nirvana!

It was now time for the most important item on today's agenda: the sunset. It was just beautiful. It proved that we were really and truly finally in Hawaii.

We walked around some more and then headed back to the hotel. It was about 9:30pm HI time and 3:30am NH time so it was definitely bedtime. It is amazing how long you can run on endorphins! The kids are proving to be amazing travelers.

Melanie
09-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Nice start, and I'm impressed you guys lasted as long as you did. Having just visited Hawaii for the first time this summer myself, I'm anxious to read all your reports. Keep them coming! :thumbsup:

faline
09-19-2009, 06:54 PM
We were in Honolulu in February. That certainly is a long trip when you're coming from the east coast! We flew out of Boston for our trip though, instead of New Hampshire!

Your kids certainly are troupers to deal with that long, long flight and then be up for more! I'm sure you'll be adjusted to the time change in a day or two!

Can't wait to hear more!

SBETigg
09-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Sounds lovely! Thanks for reporting. Looking forward to more.

TheVBs
09-20-2009, 09:10 AM
I haven't been to Hawaii since I was 12! I remember loving it and I would love to take a family vacation there. Can't wait to hear how the rest of the trip goes!

NJGIRL
09-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks for writing the report. I love hearing about places I haven't visited......yet! It sounds like your kids are good travelers you must have started them off at a young age. Can't wait to hear more.

jonsmom
09-21-2009, 07:19 PM
I am so glad I stumbled upon this thread. Thinking of a Hawaiian 7 day cruise & a land cruise in a couple of year. Looking forward to any/all advice.

disneydiva9902
09-21-2009, 08:01 PM
We were thinking about doing a cruise too, but thought that it would be too crowded with us and the kids in one room. This way we have to go back and see all the other islands now.

jonsmom
09-21-2009, 08:10 PM
I am thinking it would be best to do the whole flight all at once. I know alot of people who stop in San Fran or something, I sure wouldnt want to get up early again, sit in the airport again and spend another day flying when you could be on an island instead.

I am thinking maybe the NCL Pride of America cruise first, then 4 or 5 days in Oahu. POA spends 2 days in Maui and Kuai, I think. So basically the ship will just ferry us from island to island.

The time frame that you went is what I am thinking of as well. Sounds like it was hot. How about humid? You know what I am talking about :)

What airlines did you fly?

Joanne

DizNee143
10-05-2009, 04:07 PM
sounds like a wonderful start to your hawaiian vacation! i cant believe you all lasted that long!! cant wait to read the rest! :mickey:

disneydiva9902
10-06-2009, 11:27 AM
The time frame that you went is what I am thinking of as well. Sounds like it was hot. How about humid? You know what I am talking about :)

What airlines did you fly?

It was crazy hot and humid when we left NH (mid90s and gross). It was 85 and no humidity the entire week we were in Hawaii. The lack of humidity was the first thing DH and I noticed when we got off the plane. It was pleasant and comfortable. It didn't rain either.

We flew United. For us, it was definitely the better choice to do all of our flying in one day. We like to get to where we are going sooner rather than later.