PDA

View Full Version : The Choice: ASM Family Suite OR FW Cabin

Goes4FastPass
09-19-2009, 04:21 PM
We have an ASM Family Suite stay booked in October incl upgraded to Standard DDP.

6 people total including a 3YO.

We have the possibility of switching to a FW Cabin.

There are a jillion considerations including...

FW cabin will cost more.
This trip for us is going to be LESS about longs days at theme parks and more time spent at our resort.
FW cabin will require more walk/ride transport inside the resort.
DDP means less emphasis on cooking at cabin.
Kids involved like to scamper outdoors.
FamSuite is 2 full baths, FWCabin is 1 full bath
Flying is using DME so having a parking space right in front of the cabin is no advantages this trip.
Cabin is convenient for already booked HDDR and boat to MK including booked MNSSHP.
What am I forgetting? I'd appreciate some great advice, this is my grandson's first trip!

Thanks!

TheRustyScupper
09-19-2009, 04:26 PM
1) For your criteria, pick the FW Cabins.
2) Six people is a tad tight, but doable.
3) The campground (yes it is a real campground) will be good for your group.

Goes4FastPass
09-19-2009, 04:32 PM
1) For your criteria, pick the FW Cabins.
2) Six people is a tad tight, but doable.
3) The campground (yes it is a real campground) will be good for your group.
Thanks, Rusty. We are 2 couples and 2 kids so it's basically on couple on the BR Full, one on the Murphy bed and the kids on the bunks. Yep that's tight. I think my wife was kidding when she said she'd sleep on the Murphy bed and I could sleep on the picnic table.

wdw_bound
09-19-2009, 06:29 PM
It will be tight for your group, but if everyone gets along, I would definitely choose the cabins. We tried them last October and loved it!

I would recommend splurging for a golf cart the night of MNSSHP. We did, and it was well worth the $$$ to walk off the boat straight to our own transportation that took us directly to the front door with two sleepy/sleeping little ones in tow.

Things we loved about the cabins:
1. Kids could be kids without worrying about disturbing neighbors
2. Lots of campground activities, including the movie, visiting the stables, playing games at the pool, touring the campsite to look at Halloween decorations, playing on the beach, watching the EWP.
3. the deck added a lot of living space - and was a great place to enjoy morning coffee as the rest of the crew snoozed...
4. the whole atmosphere was calmer, more laid-back; felt like a vacation within a vacation
5. while it is away from the hustle and bustle, it didn't take very long to get right back in the middle of the action.

Things that could be cons for choosing the cabins:
1. no quick service on property, had to plan meals (no just "running down to the food court" for our refillable mugs or a quick bite)
2. not using the kitchen (we had DDP) much felt wasteful, somehow. We have said the next time we stay at the cabins, we'd consider not doing the DDP.
3. with no car, getting drinks and snacks to have on hand in the cabin is limited. The campground does have 2 stores with relatively reasonable prices, but limited selection and still more $$$ than buying stuff at the supermarket.

Given this, I'd still choose the cabins.

Have a great trip!
:mickey:

Mousemates
09-19-2009, 06:58 PM
I would go the FWC route....with one of the keys being your statement about

This trip for us is going to be LESS about longs days at theme parks and more time spent at our resort

being the key. FW has more "at resort" recreational opportunities than any other resort at WDW (not just the all stars). As for the increased costs, the full kitchen and meals prepared in it can certianly make up for any cost differential.

diz_girl
09-20-2009, 11:01 PM
I have stayed at neither, but I'd pick the FW cabins. You have the DDP, which you'd most likely use for lunch and dinner, so you can have breakfast in your cabin.

I definitely agree with what wdw_bound wrote about the campground activities. I was recently writing a list of what we did on out last trip, what we didn't do on our last trip but on recent trips, and what we've never done at WDW. I was amazed at how many activities are at the campground, especially with small children.

Plus, at FW, you are a boat ride away from MK, WL and CR, plus you're close to the monorail and its other resorts, the Poly and GF. So you have a lot of dining options nearby. Trail's End buffet at FW is a great place to eat and breakfast at GF cafe is always a great reason to hop on the monorail.

kathiep
09-22-2009, 10:25 AM
I have to agree with the majority here and suggest going for a cabin. We just stayed I wasn't at the cabins for the first time in August. I wasn't really looking forward to it, only really doing it for DH. But I was very impressed. The entire family loved it. Especially if your not planning on long days and will be spending more time at the resort, this is the place to be. So much to do! I'd recommend filling up the fridge with breakfast items and snack stuff. As another poster noted, you do lose the convenience of running to the food court. Loved the boat transportation to MK; it was also really quick and easy to hop over to Wilderness Lodge for counter service at Roarin Forks. You can watch the fireworks from the beach and the kids will love the campfire sing-a-long. IMO, there's really no comparison between the atmosphere of AS Music and FW>

LVT
09-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Re:1 bath. I read that some cabins are near enough to the campground showers that some of the adults merely head over there in the AM.

cajunmickey
09-22-2009, 10:47 PM
I will go against everyone. I have never stayed at Fort Wilderness, but have stayed in the suites. We were 6 people. Myself, husband, mother, son(19), son's girlfriend(19), and daughter (16). We had plenty of room to move around and the two bath rooms were a plus. Spent most of the time at the parks. When we would return to the resort there were always some type of game or movie going on by the main pool. The kids looked like they were really enjoying themselves.:thumbsup: