PDA

View Full Version : Disney studio chief Dick Cook stepping down, Rich Ross named replacement

DizneyFreak2002
09-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Disney studio chief Dick Cook stepping down

BURBANK, Calif. – Walt Disney Co . studio chief Dick Cook announced Friday he's stepping down immediately, after nearly four decades with the company.
Cook said in a statement he's been contemplating leaving the studio for some time and will be moving on to "new adventures." It wasn't immediately known who would replace him.
Cook's studio has come under intense scrutiny for the quality of its films. Recent movies, like "Race to Witch Mountain," "Bedtime Stories " and "Confessions of a Shopaholic " were box office disappointments.
Cook said he believed the studio's slate of upcoming movies is the best in its history.
Cook joined Disney in 1971 and moved up the ranks, becoming president of Buena Vista Pictures distribution in 1988. He became chairman of the studio in 2002.
"I have loved every minute of my 38 years that I have worked at Disney, from the beginning as a ride operator on Disneyland 's steam train and monorail to my position as chairman of The Walt Disney Studios ," he said.
Cook's creative instincts and showmanship enriched the company, Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger said.

Now, I don't know about you all, but, other than Pirates, Disney Studios hasn't put out one memorable movie.. This is more house cleaning, moving the parts that just are not working anymore....

I wish Mr. Cook well, but, now new blood can take over and help Disney produce TERRIFIC movies....

Melanie
09-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Disney's studio chief Dick Cook resigns

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook stepped down on Friday from his post to pursue "new adventures" after privately telling staff he felt he no longer fit in at the No. 1 U.S. entertainment company.

Cook, who fondly described his 38-year rise from Disneyland ride operator to head the Hollywood studio in 2002, said in a statement that he had been contemplating his departure "for some time now" and felt it was the right time to move on.

Cook, 59, told his staff on Friday that he felt like "a square peg in a round hole," according to a source familiar with Cook's statement. The source did not elaborate.

His departure was not the result of a conflict with Chief Executive Bob Iger or the company's corporate side, the source said. A Disney Studios spokeswoman said the division was not ready to announce a successor.

The studios division struggled in recent quarters with a slide in DVD sales due to the recession and changing technology and a spate of unprofitable films.

After taking over as CEO in 2005, Iger cut the studios' staff by 20 percent and refocused the division on a smaller slate of high-concept family-oriented franchises.

The strategy worked for a couple of years -- producing megahits like "Pirates of the Caribbean," "National Treasure" and "The Chronicles of Narnia" -- but the studio has been slow to cut costs and leverage hits from other divisions.

COOK PRAISED FORTHCOMING FILMS

The respected industry figure left days after he said at a glittering Disney exposition in Anaheim, California that the studios' upcoming slate of films was "the best in our history."

Cook presided over the integration of Pixar Animation Studio, the "Pirates" franchise that went on to gross more than $2 billion at worldwide box offices, and a roster of "big event" films and technological innovations.

Under his watch, Disney became the first studio to push digital 3D technology with "Chicken Little" and got top directors to make 3D to revitalize an industry that was losing ground to video games, piracy and digital home entertainment systems.

In a statement, Iger praised Cook's "outstanding creative instincts and incomparable showmanship."

His departure coincides with Disney's efforts to absorb Marvel Entertainment, whose creative and production staff likely will function independently from Disney as has Pixar's team.

Larry Gerbrandt, a principal at consultancy Media Valuation Partners, said Cook's resignation could be tied to Disney's $4 billion acquisition last month of the comic book publisher and movie studio, and Disney's reliance on its Pixar division.

"If Disney is not going to develop a significant slate of completely original films, but relies primarily on Pixar and Marvel, then Dick's role becomes far less important," he said.

Tekneek
09-20-2009, 11:15 AM
This obviously is not getting a lot of talk in here, but I have been told it is major news inside the industry (and it isn't getting a good review there).

TheRustyScupper
09-20-2009, 12:26 PM
1) Well, he made and released a few poor movies.
2) That is the nature of the industry.
3) Plus, he aligned himself with older technologies and themes.
4) Timing is everything.

Chescat
09-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Cook is the person that let Johnny Depp do Jack Sparrow the way he wanted to do Sparrow. Johnny Depp is very loyal to Cook and voiced his opinion after he heard this.

We heard rumors at the Pirate Event on the Queen Mary (from people that worked in POTC) wondering if Spielberg had anything to do with this. I hope not. They announced at D23 that Disney will made a deal with Spielberg to distribute live action movies for DreamWorks. They already had an agreement to distribute animated movies earlier in the year.

Tekneek
09-23-2009, 10:23 AM
I am not an industry insider myself, so I do not have this word directly. However, at least from those I know, the word is that Spielberg came to Disney in part due to Cook (which would tend to indicate that he would not be interested in having Cook shown the door).

GothMickey
09-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Cook is the person that let Johnny Depp do Jack Sparrow the way he wanted to do Sparrow. Johnny Depp is very loyal to Cook and voiced his opinion after he heard this.

We heard rumors at the Pirate Event on the Queen Mary (from people that worked in POTC) wondering if Spielberg had anything to do with this. I hope not. They announced at D23 that Disney will made a deal with Spielberg to distribute live action movies for DreamWorks. They already had an agreement to distribute animated movies earlier in the year.

I'm pretty sure the deal Disney signed with Dreamworks is distribution of their live action movies only. The animated movies are not included in the deal.

If there is no POTC 4, then I'll be satisfied. I enjoyed the trilogy, and even though I'd love a 4th, I don't think it is necessary.

Chescat
09-23-2009, 08:37 PM
I am not an industry insider myself, so I do not have this word directly. However, at least from those I know, the word is that Spielberg came to Disney in part due to Cook (which would tend to indicate that he would not be interested in having Cook shown the door).
I tend to agree with you, that wouldn't make sense.

What will be interesting will be Johnny Depp's reaction to the new person in charge. They are finishing up Alice in Wonderland, announced Pirates 4, and he's suppose to be Tonto in the Lone Ranger movie that films after Pirates. Nicolas Cage has been a major influence over there also with these National Treasure movies and now he's directing Sorcerer's Apprentice next summer. Was talk at D23, that he's be a Disney Legend some day with all his associations with Disney.

Sounds like there has been some head hitting between Igor and Cook. I heard there were times that Cook never conferred with Igor, who I think has a more hands on. Will be interesting to see what happens. I'm concerned about the movies coming out after this. I liked his energy and the way he ran things.

GothMickey, I stand corrected. I thought we read some place in Animation Magazine a few months ago it was the animation department that went with Disney. (Or maybe assumed since it was Animation Magazine it was). This is what wiki says on the subject:

DreamWorks' animation arm was spun-off in 2004 into DreamWorks Animation SKG. Its films were distributed worldwide by Paramount, but the animation studio remained independent of Paramount/Viacom.

On February 9, 2009, DreamWorks entered into a long-term, 30-picture distribution deal with The Walt Disney Company by which the films will be released through the Touchstone Pictures banner over the next five years. The deal came after negotiations broke off with Universal Pictures just days earlier.

Melanie
10-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Disney, Universal name new studio chiefs

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The Walt Disney Co and Universal studios unveiled changes at the top on Monday, as Hollywood's worst-performing major houses try to turn things around in a potentially record year at the box office.

Disney on Monday said it had replaced popular studio chairman Dick Cook, who shocked the industry with his departure about two weeks ago, with Rich Ross: a newcomer to film who as Disney Channels Worldwide chairman steered powerhouse franchises like "Hannah Montana" and "High School Musical."

Universal Pictures replaced Chairmen Marc Shmuger and David Linde with its film marketing and production chiefs, after a string of box office flops including Will Ferrell's big-budget comedy "Land of the Lost".

The move at Universal comes as ultimate parent General Electric prepares to try and sell entertainment giant NBC Universal. According to sources, GE is in talks to buy out partner Vivendi and sell a majority slice of NBC Universal to Comcast.

Universal and Disney have posted the poorest performances this year among major U.S. studios, outshone by the likes of Sony Pictures and Time Warner Inc's Warner Bros. That's despite analysts' predictions that 2009 would be a third straight record year for the domestic box office.

Effective immediately, Ross -- who experts say shares Cook's flair for personal dealings, but is a stranger to the hyper-competitive movie business -- will manage all film labels including Walt Disney, Touchstone, Miramax and Disney/Pixar.

He also will take on the integration of superhero franchise juggernaut Marvel Entertainment, which Disney in August said it would buy for $4 billion.

Larry Gerbrandt, principal at Media Valuation Partners, said appointing Ross to head its movie studio signaled a need for someone who can coordinate between different divisions.

While Ross has little experience making movies, he turned the Disney Channel into the top-rated kids' cable network with successful franchises like "Hannah Montana" and "High School Musical" that morphed into consumer products, movies and theme park attractions, spurring billions in worldwide sales.

"This strikes me as more of a corporate job than necessarily a creative or green-lighting job," Gerbrandt said. "I don't necessarily see him green-lighting (approving) Pixar or Marvel movies, at least not initially."

"You're going to see Pixar and Marvel being the primary drivers of production."

TROUBLE IN THE MOUSE HOUSE?

Box office revenue in the United States and Canada hit highs in 2007 and 2008, according to the National Association of Theater Owners, and appear headed for a third record.

But Disney counts just Disney-Pixar's "Up" and Touchstone's "The Proposal" as bona fide hits this year. It now commands just 11.7 percent of box office market share and Universal 8.6 percent, according to industry tracker Box Office Mojo.

Cook, who steered hits like "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Chronicles of Narnia", told staff at his abrupt September 18 departure that he felt "like a square peg in a round hole".

The studio division suffered in recent quarters from rising costs, a downturn in DVD sales and a slate of poor performers like "Bolt" and "Bedtime Stories". Cook's reluctance to embrace Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger's call for more cross-pollination to work across business units also was reportedly a factor.

Disney got about 19 percent of revenues from its movie studios in fiscal 2008. But Cowen and Co analyst Doug Creutz estimated the studio division would account for about 16 percent of revenue in the September quarter.

Universal performed even worse at the box office.

In recent months, it has churned out box office disappointments "Funny People," "Love Happens" and "Land of the Lost," a big-budget comedy that made only $62 million at worldwide box offices. Its sole, bona fide smash hit was the fourth installment of the "Fast and Furious" franchise.

Universal's marketing head Adam Fogelson will now serve as chairman of the movie studio, and film production president Donna Langley will be co-chairman, reporting to Fogelson, Universal said in a statement.

Fogelson, who has been with the company since 1998, has served as president of marketing and distribution at Universal since October 2007.

Langley has served as president of production at the company since 2005, and Universal said that during that time she has been responsible for 14 films that have each made more than $100 million in the United States and Canada.

Shares of Disney closed up 1.7 percent at $27.67, and shares of GE closed up 3 percent at $15.83 on Monday.

MushuGrl
10-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Am I the only one that finds it kinda stupid to base all this on "box office" when in fact most of the country was 1) out of work or 2) had to chose between movie tickets or gas for their car and food for their table?

For the past three years I've seen a grand total of five movies in the theaters (three of them were Disney). It was based on ticket prices and lack of "fun money", not how awesome or not awesome Dick Cook was.

lockedoutlogic
10-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Am I the only one that finds it kinda stupid to base all this on "box office" when in fact most of the country was 1) out of work or 2) had to chose between movie tickets or gas for their car and food for their table?

For the past three years I've seen a grand total of five movies in the theaters (three of them were Disney). It was based on ticket prices and lack of "fun money", not how awesome or not awesome Dick Cook was.

this is a good point....

the box office has been declining overall for about 5 years....so i'm not sure that there can be a great 'assessment' of studio chief success right now....

But the replacement is a classic disney move....
replace a person in an important position with a low level flunky who's primary experience is with pushing merchandise....and that is what HSM and Hannah Montana is

Ian
10-08-2009, 12:21 PM

For the past three years I've seen a grand total of five movies in the theaters (three of them were Disney). It was based on ticket prices and lack of "fun money", not how awesome or not awesome Dick Cook was.Actually 2008 was a record year for box office gross. I think 2009 is shaping up to be even better.

lockedoutlogic
10-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Actually 2008 was a record year for box office gross. I think 2009 is shaping up to be even better.

2008 was driven by one gigantic title and a couple of other "blockbuster" films....

overall, the success was shared by a relatively small number of individual films

(remember that ironman and the dark knight grossed 1B domestically....an unheard of take for 2 films in a 4 month span)

fupresti
10-14-2009, 03:59 PM
It isn't that much to see a first run film. In fact, the AMC chain here only charges $5.00 for movies before noon and Ultra Star which is 100% digital charges $5.75 for first showings.

People will pay good money to see good films. The problem with Hollywood is the endless supply of **** they bring out these days. How many sequels, prequels, and Jennifer Aniston romcoms will they release before they release only good films put butts in seats. We need more movies like The Dark Knight and less movies like Shrek 3.