PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak from NY/NJ Area

Disneyfirsttimer
09-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Has anyone ever taken Amtrak from NY or NJ? Not the AutoTrain, just regular Amtrak. If so, what was your experience? We are considering this as airfares are really high for March/April 2010. Our other option is flying into Tampa or driving.

Feedback appreciated :mickey:

Karyn

faline
09-18-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm sure those with first hand experience will be along shortly but here's a recent thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=158254&highlight=train) on the subject.

ToraTory
09-18-2009, 12:04 PM
I've riden the train from Baltimore Penn station to kissimmee (and Orlando). BTW I like the station at Kissimmee much better is way, way less crowded esp. catching the train back. There aren't as many taxi's though and I'm not sure if mears will send one there.

As the train itself. I much prefer the auto train as I find the stopping and starting and changing of passengers annoying. Here's another heads-up if you are traveling alone (or have an odd number in your party) there WILL be someone sitting next to you. I personally found this uncomfortable. Imagine sleeping directly next to a man you do not know (the chairs are very close together). I did not like this and ended up hanging out in the lounge car all night.

If you are traveling with someone it's much better as you can spread out and if you end up touching each other at night, who cares ;)

Since I do not fly I take the train alot. I find that traveling in the middle of the week is better than the weekend. Also, if you're alone I prefer the window seat and if you ask you usually will get one. Also, the food (and bottled water) is expensive so bring your own. Also, be sure to check your luggage this makes settling in much, much easier. Lastly when the conductor assigns you a seat write it down. On two occassions I have been asked to move by another passenger who swore I was in the wrong seat.

Overall the train is OK, but if I wasn't so afraid to fly, I would go that route instead.

Any questions, please feel free to ask :mickey: --tory

Katarch
09-18-2009, 12:29 PM
I've taken the train - it takes way too long!! :down:Food is ok, but bathrooms get really dirty after a few hours. I would recommend flying!:mickey::

jonsmom
09-18-2009, 01:51 PM
I've taken the train - it takes way too long!! :down:Food is ok, but bathrooms get really dirty after a few hours. I would recommend flying!:mickey::

I totally agree - I did the autotrain from Lorton, VA - it departs every day at 3:30 pm and arrives in Sanford, FL at 8:30.

Its a long, long drive, nothing to see, not much to do, even though we stayed in first class, it's just not worth it.

Not to mention it is extremely expensive.

barb0310
09-18-2009, 10:45 PM
I traveled from NYC to Orlando using Amtrak. Let's just say that it cured my fear of flying.

gueli
09-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Are you able to get reasonable train fare ?
I looked at Jet blue, and I see that some days some of the flights are quite expensive...however some of them are at the $104 rate...are you flexable on the dates or are you locked in to a particular set of days ? remember flying on weekends can add quite a bit to airfare costs...

I have considered the train thing, but the 18-20 hours of travel, plus the rest does not appeal to my DW...
good luck
:mickey:

PS what about driving...still just as long, but you control the pace...

wedoada
09-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Think of the Train as Driving There...but you can sleep.

We took the train from Boston to Disney with a 6yo and 2yo. I use a wheelchair and the train is MUCH more accessible to me than flying.

It does take just as long as driving there yourself. It is noisy at night with all the stops and yes...with that many people the restrooms do get dirty even with the staff trying to keep them clean.

I use the train alot because of the wheelchair access but we'll be flying this time (Dec 09) because we got a deal on flights.

Depending on the size of your group a sleeper car is nice....much more private...your own bathroom,,,meals are included...but they are pricey.

Hope it helps.