PDA

View Full Version : What if!!! What if a trip is interupted by a family death at home?

Marker
09-17-2009, 06:01 PM
So, daughter and I are scheduled to leave for WDW on Sunday morning.

My step mom is not well, and hasn't been for a long, long time. We've been on watchful duty for like 4 or 5 weeks now. She will not likely be getting better, and honestly it'll be a blessing when her time finally comes.

However, in spite of the uncertainty, or because of it, we've decided we're going ahead as planned This could end in a matter of hours, or could stretch on for days, weeks, months.

So, here's my question. What if our trip is cut short by the need to return home for a family death. Or for that matter, the start could be delayed. How does Disney handle this? Everything is paid for 8 nights at CSR, 8 park hoppers w/o the non-expiring option, ADRs for free dining. Do they allow any credit for the paid for, but left unused portion. Or, should the start of vacation be delayed, do they allow the unused days to perhaps be tacked on to the end assuming resort availability.

Then there's the issue of airfare. We're flying down on Southwest, and returning on AirTran.

Just trying to get a handle on what I may expect should circumstances dictate.

Thanks.

Phantod
09-17-2009, 06:50 PM
I can't help you with much, but when my Dad died, i was already scheduled to go down and see him via Southwest. I called at the last minute and was able to re-schedule flights without charge. They did require proof however, which I think is only reasonable.

I know it's hard dealing with these circumstances. Hope everything works out for you. Sometimes it's just good to get away.

Zippy 1
09-17-2009, 07:02 PM
I am not totally sure but I think your best bet would be to get trip insurance. Check to see if your situation would be covered.

TheRustyScupper
09-18-2009, 08:16 AM
1) I do remember one death-case like this.
2) There was nothing that could be done.
3) The person just left early.
4) There was no refund or credit from WDW.
5) It was stated that they should have had the trip insurance.

NOTE: I remember another time a DVC person had to leave a day early (don't remember why). There was no credit of the points for the one unused day.

Emme&TeddysMommy
09-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Marker we’re going through the same situation right now. We leave on the 26 and my grandfather is very ill we were told 8 weeks ago he had maybe 5 days, well long story short he is still with us. Each day he goes down hill a little bit more, but is still going strong. We were going to cancel our trip, but my husband and father said no that we really just needed to get away at this time. My father has been laid off so he spends everyday at my grandparents. I think that he is not only emotionally drained, but also physically drained from having to help carry/support him when ever he walks. I hope that you are able to make it through your trip and have a good time. I am sending my thoughts and prayers and a little pixie dust to you and your family.

PetefromRI
09-18-2009, 09:21 AM
1) I do remember one death-case like this.
2) There was nothing that could be done.
3) The person just left early.
4) There was no refund or credit from WDW.
5) It was stated that they should have had the trip insurance.

NOTE: I remember another time a DVC person had to leave a day early (don't remember why). There was no credit of the points for the one unused day.
This happened to us about 5 years ago and Disney couldn't have been better.They refunded us for all the unused nights and for unused days on tickets.The airlines(NorthWest) treated us like garbage and actually charged us more for the flight change.I'll walk to Florida before I fly with them or the company that bought them.I did have insurance which covered the extra fees that the airlines charged but Disney went over the top to help us.Get insurance and try to enjoy yourselves.Your right,it could be days or even months so try and enjoy.

Jasper
09-18-2009, 09:42 AM
This has come up here before and there seems to be a significant difference in how cases were handled. I would certainly call Disney and see if you can get any information in advance so you won't be surprised. I would also buy trip insurance because then you are positive that you are covered.

We had the same situation a few years ago and even though we didn't end up needing the insurance it was nice to have the peace of mind knowing that if it did happen that at least we wouldn't have to deal with the money while dealing with the loss of a loved one.

Marker
09-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Just to update, we did in fact get to complete our trip. We had a wonderful time.

However, after arriving home at about 10:30 pm Monday evening, about an hour later at 11:30 we got the word that my stepmom had just passed away. Guess she waited til we got back.

While obviously sad, it is also very much a relief for us all, including my dad. She's been in a bad way for a long time, and is now in a much better place.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Thankyou for the update. You have been in our thoughts & prayers. We were hoping that you would make it home. We are sorry for your loss, but we are glad that she is in a better place.
We are in the same situation w/our Mom. She is in the final stages of Parkinsons. She could go today, next wk or next yr. We always get trip insurance because we just never know when it may be time for her to "move upstairs". (She always has been such a funny person and humor has been a HUGE part of our life). We pray that she doesn't go while we are in WDW in Dec. We, (3), take care of Mom. She lives w/ us and I(Di), take care of her most of the time. The girls both work full time jobs. It has been a true honor and blessing to be w/ my Mom and we look at each day as a wonderful gift. We have been blessed.
Anyhow..... we are grateful that your Step Mom is no longer suffering and she is at peace.
"Big Hug" from the triplets......

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

laprana
09-30-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Marker. :( I'm glad you were able to have a great trip!

PetefromRI
09-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Marker,So sorry to hear your loss.Glad the trip went well.Your right,she's in a better place and it's amazing how some people wait for the right time to pass over.

BMan62
09-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Condolences on you loss, Marker. Our prayers are with you.

Glad you could complete your trip, though.

MNNHFLTX
10-01-2009, 09:24 AM
My condolences to you and your family, Marker.

RedSoxFan
10-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your stepmom's passing.:(

TheVBs
10-01-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

NJGIRL
10-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Sorry for your loss.

DVCWDWMEMBER
10-02-2009, 02:44 PM
So sorry to hear about the loss of your stepmom.