PDA

View Full Version : Lost cell phone- Help!!!

quicksand
09-17-2009, 01:54 PM
My husband lost his cell phone on Saturday. Can't find it anywhere. So today I went to Verizon to get another but they wanted to charge him over $100 for another. He still has another year left on his contract.
I have an old alltell pay as you go phone. Is there anyway he can transfer his cell phone number to that phone?
Also, I was in walmart today and saw Verizon pay as you go phones for about $25. Could his old number be transfered to that as well?

cajunprincess
09-17-2009, 02:37 PM
I have AT&T and whem my cell phone broke a few years ago, i just bought a "Go Phone" and it worked fine. I think as long as it is the same company, I can't see where there would be a problem. I am not sure if you would need to purchase a new sim card or not, but that cost should be minimal. Cell phone companies get you comming and going sometimes!

Ian
09-17-2009, 02:38 PM
You can transfer his number pretty much anywhere you want, but you'll still have to either continue paying your Verizon bill or pay their early termination fee.

Itchy
09-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Do you have any idea where it was lost? Did have GPS capability and was it activated. If it was activated, and the cell phone is on, and the battery is good Verizon could do a trianglation search. This can get you with in a few feet of its location.

All cell providers have this capability. The other day one of my daughters friends called and asked her to go to an ATT cell phone web site to locate her lost husbands phone. When we logged in and provided the required information it showed us a google map location where the phone currently was. If you even have an old digital cell phone that was on verizon it can be activated and you would continue with your service just like you never lost the phone.

Hope this helps.:mickey:

Dakota Rose
09-17-2009, 09:26 PM
We had a similar situation with Alltel last year. I called customer service, plead my case and then told them I wanted to cancel. Well that changed their tune. The guy "fixed" my account so I could go get a free upgrade. A friend of ours works for a cell phone store and it was her suggestion. She said it works more times than not. Worth a try IMO.

nyobabe2
09-20-2009, 12:39 AM
I kicked my brand new verizon phone into the pool at pop century (don't ask!) and I was told the same thing, I had to pay big time but if I knew someone that had an old verizon phone then they would just transfer the # with no fee. My parents had just upgraded their phones so I got one of theirs and it worked.

That was 3 yrs ago, don't know if their policy has changed.

VWL Mom
09-20-2009, 08:37 AM
I kicked my brand new verizon phone into the pool at pop century (don't ask!) and I was told the same thing, I had to pay big time but if I knew someone that had an old verizon phone then they would just transfer the # with no fee. My parents had just upgraded their phones so I got one of theirs and it worked.

That was 3 yrs ago, don't know if their policy has changed.

You can still do this. There is even a on you online account that you can do it yourself (activate equipment) at no charge. We always save our phones when upgrading just for this reason.

azdisneymom
09-20-2009, 05:35 PM
DD lost her phone several months ago. The phone company was able to track the SIM card and determine it had not been used. She had to use one of our old phones. There wasn't any charge to transfer her number over to the old phone. Lucky for us we had upgraded about 3 months earlier so we had spare SIM cards, otherwise we would have been charged a fee to get one for the old phone. Good news was the phone turned up about 2 weeks later.

I wish you the best in finding DH phone. I hope he backed his numbers up online. :blush: