PDA

View Full Version : Next Years Theme?

EeyoresBestFriend
09-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Has there been any word of what WDW will promote as theme for next year? :confused:

You know ~ year of million dreams, Celebration this year . . . .

Not that I need an excuse to go down . . . :D

cajunprincess
09-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Next years theme will be the same as this years.

Itchy
09-17-2009, 03:05 PM
How about,

Thank you for spending your money.:blush:

Seriously I think that they can show their appreciation simply by giving random patrons a special gift just because.

Why make it a contest of sorts.

For example, one year we flew down to WDW and on our budget it was coach. Well we were checking in at MCO to leave the guy at the counter asked if we would like an upgrade. I of course asked what it would cost. I was told nothing. We were upgraded from coach to first class. Now that was nice. We got the whole can of soda and a real glass.

Its the little things that make the difference.:mickey:

Mufasa
09-17-2009, 03:23 PM
How about,

Thank you for spending your money.:blush:

Seriously I think that they can show their appreciation simply by giving random patrons a special gift just because.

Why make it a contest of sorts.

Year of a Million Dreams was enough of a legal headache with the awarding of prizes (and making it clear that no purchase was actually necessary to perhaps win a prize on Disney property).

If you try to reward patrons for spending money (or even imply that they could win something simply for purchasing a theme park ticket) then residents of Arizona, Florida, Maryland, Vermont, Montana, Louisiana, New Jersey, Arkansas and Tennessee would not be eligible to win because of individual state laws which govern sweepstakes and awarding of prizes (tying it to some sort of purchase then gets it classified as a form of gambling).

And then there are issues with residents of Canada.

And as for next year's theme, it will differ a bit from the "What will you Celebrate" with a new emphasis that was hinted at D23 (though not announced outright).

Itchy
09-17-2009, 03:34 PM
I guess I was not clear. I do not think there should be a contest in anyway shape or form. I dont think any reference should be made to one either.

If someone is given something special as a thank you for doing something nice or just because.

Mufasa
09-17-2009, 04:00 PM
If someone is given something special as a thank you for doing something nice or just because.

There will be rewards for those who donate their time and give back to their community as part of the push next year

Itchy
09-17-2009, 05:14 PM
There will be rewards for those who donate their time and give back to their community as part of the push next year

Lets hear an Amen. ( I hope that does not bring the ACLU down on me )

I am so happy that they will be reconizing folks who really deserve a pat on the back.:thumbsup:

Strmchsr
09-21-2009, 11:52 AM

My understanding from a couple of my friends is that this new theme will be announced September 29 by Jay Rasulo. It's exactly as Mufasa says, if you give to your community through volunteerism and other service ideas involving a Disney-approved charity you could earn rewards such as park admission. No other details right now, but it should be announced next week.

EeyoresBestFriend
09-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Umm . . . I just thought it would be nice to speculate, but now I regret asking. :(

I had been hoping to brighten my day with something Disney and this pretty much shot all of that out of the water . . .

Brutal . . . .

Ian
09-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Sorry, Shannon ... I just checked in now to read this thread for the first time and I completely agree with you.

The responses in this thread are totally unacceptable, out of line, rude, and not in the slightest what INTERCOT is about.

Please accept my apologies for not being more on top of this today. Had I seen this before, I would have nipped it in the bud.

And to those who rained on Shannon's parade, shame on you. You all know better than that. This is not the way we treat our members here when they ask legitimate questions.

The offending posts will be removed.

lockedoutlogic
09-23-2009, 09:15 PM
I had a good old fashion "light hearted" sarcasm (aka mocking disney) silly quip and some honest - but not ill-willed - assessments of the how these 18 month "things" have started to go....

But the point is taken, i came off too harsh....my apologies if offending

Jenemmy
09-24-2009, 07:08 AM
Oh I think the themes are kinda fun! Adds to the atmosphere and all. I'm good with anything that doesn't turn my castle pink :mickey:

We got a small "dream" during the Year of Million Dreams. We were pulled aside while entering "Soarin'" and asked if we wanted to fly first class. It was my DD first ride on it and it made it extra special to go behind the scenes, then be placed in the front of the line and given a nice certificate signed by the CM's. It wasn't a night in the Castle, but it added to the Magic and I was thrilled.

I have heard nothing of the next theme. I remember hearing the rumors of turning the Castle Suite into a "Make a Wish" option and I absolutely ADORE that idea! There may be zero truth to that, but I would so fully support it!

Ian
09-24-2009, 07:40 AM
I had a good old fashion "light hearted" sarcasm (aka mocking disney) silly quip and some honest - but not ill-willed - assessments of the how these 18 month "things" have started to go....

But the point is taken, i came off too harsh....my apologies if offendingNot the point ... the OP had a question about next year's celebration for which she was looking for legitimate answers.

She wasn't looking for insults, derision, and discussions about how "stupid" celebrations are.

Stick to the topic at hand.

lockedoutlogic
09-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Not the point ... the OP had a question about next year's celebration for which she was looking for legitimate answers.

She wasn't looking for insults, derision, and discussions about how "stupid" celebrations are.

Stick to the topic at hand.

No, No....you're right...

that's why i already yielded the point and the demerit

baldburke
09-24-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm sure the safe money for 2011 is the 40th Anniversary of WDW! :mickey:

lockedoutlogic
09-24-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm sure the safe money for 2011 is the 40th Anniversary of WDW! :mickey:

you would think....but the complete disregard for the 25th of EPCOT makes me wonder...

i think they're done park specific (or centered) "celebrations"...my guess would be because there isn't enough merchandise tie ins/ sales for all the parks and downtown

EeyoresBestFriend
09-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Thank you, Ian ~

There was no permanent damage ;) ~ It just wasn't, at all, the replies I thought I'd get.

I really appreciate your moderation and reviving my hope for positive Disney thoughts!

You are my knight in shining armour . . . :hug:

Buttercup
09-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Forgive me if this is off-topic, but what were the issues with being Canadian during the Year of a Million Dreams promotion? I never heard about any issues? :confused:

I kind-of like the "What Will You Celebrate" idea... too bad we never go down around our birthdays! I think one year they should do something about 'doing something for each other', like accepting food bank donations, or rewarding those community heros we all love with a free pass... I don't know the logistics but it would be a neat idea to build on.

TheRustyScupper
09-24-2009, 06:11 PM
residents of Arizona, Florida, Maryland, Vermont, Montana, Louisiana, New Jersey, Arkansas and Tennessee would not be eligible to win because of individual state laws which govern sweepstakes and awarding of prizes (tying it to some sort of purchase then gets it classified as a form of gambling).

1) I am sure that there can be Plan-B and Plan-C for those states.
2) As for Canada, there can be a Plan-eh.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Forgive me if this is off-topic, but what were the issues with being Canadian during the Year of a Million Dreams promotion? I never heard about any issues? :confused:

I *think* it has to do with the Canadian rules that you can't just win something in a game of chance, you have to "earn" it, hence those annoying skill-testing questions on all of the contest forms.

When we won our Mickey Ears (through the mail-in option) they called us, and I had to correctly answer the skill-testing question before they could send me my prize.

It all worked out though, DD loves "her" ears :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
09-25-2009, 08:21 AM
2) As for Canada, there can be a Plan-eh.
That's pretty funny. :D

You are correct on the skill-testing question thing... Otherwise there is a tax issue.

Jasper
09-25-2009, 09:04 AM
I am sure I am getting the cart before the cart, but I have concerns about how Disney will organize the new program based on volunteerism. I have to imagine that in order to make this work Disney will have to partner with major, nation-wide organizations. While that seems to make sense on the surface, what happens to people like me that live in a small town where none of these nation-wide charitable organizations exist?

Does anyone know yet how they plan to run the new program and more importantly, what charities will be included?

Strmchsr
09-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Does anyone know yet how they plan to run the new program and more importantly, what charities will be included?

I haven't heard any of those kinds of details yet. Supposedly all will be known on Tuesday.

MinnieMommie
09-29-2009, 06:26 PM
This is supposed to start January 1st 2010. They are doing a give a day (of volunterism) get a day (free day in the park). Hands On Network is promoting this too. You can read more at:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=162027

Cool I think. DH and I watched a story about this on the morning news. :mickey:

Lakin
09-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Next years theme will probably be the same as this years. After all, didn't they stretch out the YOAMD for, like, 3 years?

Strmchsr
09-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Next years theme will probably be the same as this years. After all, didn't they stretch out the YOAMD for, like, 3 years?

They've already announced the new theme for next year. See the link in the post above. I do think, however, they are using much of the "What Will You Celebrate" theming. It'll just be the promotions which are different.

lockedoutlogic
09-30-2009, 08:58 AM
I applaud them for actually bringing some attention to volunteer activities....

BUT...

do they know who their clientele is? Does anyone else think that the customers of WDW are by far more Consumeristic (if that's a word:confused:) than altruistic?

Am I nuts? And i'm not looking at the whole picture here....not the rather small percentage of customers who can honestly say they "do more" than "spend more"

Ian
09-30-2009, 09:34 AM
do they know who their clientele is? Does anyone else think that the customers of WDW are by far more Consumeristic (if that's a word:confused:) than altruistic?Nah ... I definitely think you're missing the mark here.

You're ignoring the whole "Princess and Pixie Dust" crowd that I think is very focused on charity and the environment and volunteerism.

lockedoutlogic
09-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Nah ... I definitely think you're missing the mark here.

You're ignoring the whole "Princess and Pixie Dust" crowd that I think is very focused on charity and the environment and volunteerism.

you're right....

i forgot about the trial of "biodegradeable" plastic pieces, glitter, and streamers that are left behind by the victims of the bibbidi-bobbiti-boutique each day....

a great natural nutrional supplement to the florida wetlands ecosphere...

you're right, they're practically greenpeace:mickey:

Strmchsr
09-30-2009, 10:23 AM

I agree. I think Disney is going to hit a PR homerun with this year's theme. While I might say that a whole lot of folks who go to WDW are very consumeristic they feel better about spending all the money at Disney by also giving to charities and doing volunteer work. I know the theme is a PR stunt to earn business, but I think it'll succeed well and even if 50 people volunteer with a charity just to get a "free" Disney ticket who never would have volunteered otherwise then I would call it a success.

lockedoutlogic
09-30-2009, 10:29 AM
I agree. I think Disney is going to hit a PR homerun with this year's theme. While I might say that a whole lot of folks who go to WDW are very consumeristic they feel better about spending all the money at Disney by also giving to charities and doing volunteer work. I know the theme is a PR stunt to earn business, but I think it'll succeed well and even if 50 people volunteer with a charity just to get a "free" Disney ticket who never would have volunteered otherwise then I would call it a success.

pretty sure he was being sarcastic there......like 99.9%

...that being said...i do like the idea. But i don't think the motives here aren't as noble as you're giving them credit for.

They are going to give those that perform valuable and needed activities a break on admission...that is good.
But they are doing it for a PR stunt...in my opinion...and the real reason is the same as always: just a hook
You volunteer - here's a free day - come for another 6 and pay 29 dollars for the cedar salmon...

It kinda gets me how they "reward" those that do good by trying to **** them into a week in paradise....

You know what i'd like to see? A flat donation (based on revenue) to charities....both local and national...on the paying customers behalf. They can use it as a corporate tax deduction :)

Everyone contributes....no choice....use the capitalism for good. Donate to the Everglades reclamation initiative (that system, a victim of development in south flordia, HAS to be rebuilt...for global planetary good...scientific fact), donate to the central florida foodbank or the state's utilities assistance programs...which of course many disney employees qualify for and use....donate to the general scholarship funds at colleges...a college program kickback initiative.

It seems like an attempt to capitalize on the "struggling america" public sentiment...i'm just not sure they are going about it the right way

MinnieMommie
09-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Nah ... I definitely think you're missing the mark here.

Totally agree.

I am not concerned about or willing to guess at Disney's "motivation" for this promotion. It is a positive stroke and a chance for people who are fortunate enough to be able to visit Disney to give a bit back.

My family will not be able to take advantage of the promotion because we are visiting early in January before the promotion will be operable and will likely go to Disney Paris rather than back to the World in 2010.

We are planning to do the volunteer requirement anyway and to donate the day ticket back so that some one will be able to enjoy a day who may not otherwise have the opportunity.

I am excited on this focus on giving back. :mickey:

lockedoutlogic
10-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Totally agree.

I am not concerned about or willing to guess at Disney's "motivation" for this promotion. It is a positive stroke and a chance for people who are fortunate enough to be able to visit Disney to give a bit back.

My family will not be able to take advantage of the promotion because we are visiting early in January before the promotion will be operable and will likely go to Disney Paris rather than back to the World in 2010.

We are planning to do the volunteer requirement anyway and to donate the day ticket back so that some one will be able to enjoy a day who may not otherwise have the opportunity.

I am excited on this focus on giving back. :mickey:

again....i think that was sarcasm....

and if you read above....i have an alternative plan

dlpmikki
10-01-2009, 04:16 PM
I thoroughly approve of Disney promoting volunteerism even if it is somewhat limited and doesn't recognise all those folks who already volunteer a lot of time and appears only to be aiming to get new temporary ones. It also appears to lock out everyone from overseas and it had been kind of nice that (at least for us folks from the UK) that we could join in YOAMD and what will you celebrate.

I recognise that it is probably a logistical nightmare but I am also sure that there are volunteer organisations around the world who would be happy to take part if given the chance.

MinnieMommie
10-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Mikki - I hear your disappointment that this promotion is not extended oversees (at this point). I agree that it must be a logistical nightmare. Hand On Network has international affiliates (don't think in UK though) and they are partnering in this. Maybe they will open this up. :mickey:

BigThunderFan
11-08-2009, 04:41 AM
I was sad to hear that the Celebration theme will not extend into next year. For the first time ever we were able to plan a trip around a birthday in January and we were all excited, but now no dice. Of course it will still be a trip to WDW on a birthday which should be special enough.

Now we are excited about an opportunity to volunteer as a family and give another family the opportunity to visit, even if we can't use it.