PDA

View Full Version : Pampered Pooch ?

Disney4us2
09-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Don't know if this will be moved, but it is part of my vacation planning.

For those with pets:dog::cat::fishbowl:, what do you do with them when you are at WDW. I don't want to start any debates on pets. Mine is on the pampered side. Used to ther comforts. Half the time I don't think she knows that she is a dog. :dog: On our next trip to WDW I am planning on having my almost 90 y/o father watch her. He lives with us so that makes it easier. Boarding is out of the question.

Just curious what everyone with a pampered :puppy:or non pampered pet does

Bethis26fan
09-16-2009, 03:27 PM
My pup doesn't know he's not human either. He stays with his grandma (my mom) she lives next door so he's happy.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Our "kids" are boarded at the vet. Now, that doesn't mean they are not pampered!:mickey: The people who work there love all 3 of them! They are small dogs. MulanWillow(Chinese Crested),Flower(TeaCup Chihuahua), and Emmanuel aka Mannie Moo(15yr old toy poodle). They are all rescue dogs and they love each other so much. The vets give them their own sound proof room and they are all together.
We actually got MannieMoo from our vets. They are out almost all the time. Flower has to have play time w/the "big" dogs who are there as well. They have a live feed into their room that we can go online and check at all times. We also call atleast 2x a day. We feel very comfortable doing this because we know they are medically monitored at all times. They get a tremendous amount of attention from the staff who loves them too. They all have had some "issues" because of extreme abuse and neglect. They are our life and our family all says, "Man, if we are able to come back after we die, I want to come back as one the girls dogs!" Ha!

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Riley, my Mom's dog goes on vacation when she does. He boards at a great place, recommended by the vet...after the first couple of times, we think Riley likes it there more than at home ;)

Ed
09-16-2009, 03:55 PM
The canine that graciously allows us to live with him is a very frequent guest at his vet's boarding facility, where he gets spoiled rotten. The entire staff lights up every time we bring him in for a few days stay. After one of his early stays about 6 years ago, they even bought him his own blanket (after he "appropriated" one from another guest).

Since we travel fairly often, we take advantage of his time at the "doggie hotel" to have his checkups done, bathing, nail clipping, etc.

He is so familiar with the place that if we even drive by while he's in the truck, he gets all excited and seems disappointed that we don't stop.

Regardless, he's still very excited to see us when he checks out of the resort.

We're trying to talk the vet into starting a "frequent guest" program like many hotels. :D

Buddy08
09-16-2009, 04:37 PM
My dog has stayed with his "aunt", my sister or other family members. The last few times we have gone to WDW, my husband hasn't gone with so he just stays home with Daddy:pluto:

Mickey'sGirl
09-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Our lizard goes to the local pet store to be watched, and to eat as many crickets and silk worms a gecko could possibly ever desire.

Our doggies are watched by my Mother in Law when we go away. She spends some of her time at our home with them, and some of her time at her home with them...where she sleeps on the couch so that they wont get lonely (my Father in Law does not like doggies in the bedroom).

Pets are a huge part of vacation planning for any animal lover!

:dog: :dog: :lizard:

Disney4us2
09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Just want to clarify.... I said in my op that boarding is out of the question. I am not opposed to borading at all.

Last year we had wildfires (lovely Southern California and Santa Ana Winds). The fire came a block from our house and we had to evacuate (we left in plenty of time) and board Ginger overnight. Since that experience she stays by my side, sleeps with me instead of DD. Everytime a helicoptor comes by she looks up. She is not really skiddish, she just wants mommy. That is why I am hesitant to board her. Luckly my DFather is able to watch her.

:dog:P.S. Ginger is a 40lb standard red/short hair Dachshund. We also have:fishbowl: and a:chicken: parakeet.

droopy d.
09-16-2009, 06:07 PM
we have three dogs and one goes to my parents, one to my dw parents and the last on goes to the people who we got him from they love him so much but couldn't give him the time and attention he needed daily sine he worked such long hours.

Madame Leona
09-16-2009, 06:10 PM
I think it's great that she has someone to stay home with. We usually send our girl to the vet for boarding. She loves it there. I like that she was there because she was given medical treatment when she needed it. She has a problem with "happy tail." She actually wags her tail so much that she causes sores on the end from hitting other objects. There was so much blood one time I couldn't believe it but she was well taken care of. They now wrap her tail when she gets there. Also, she had a cyst rupture on her paw between her toes and that was immediately taken care of and they started antibiotics right away so she didn't get an infection. I love knowing she is in such good hands.

kakn7294
09-16-2009, 06:11 PM
My 2 cats, the rabbit, and the fish stay home and my sister comes in to feed and care for them. My dog goes the same sister's house. She has been to a kennel before but neither she nor I like that.

VWL Mom
09-16-2009, 06:47 PM
JD (Joe Dog) has a really nice personality so we can normally find someone to take him for us. Last year, he ate so well that he didn't want to come home.

We have a sitter come in once a day for our three cats: Oreo, Cookie, & Cocoa. They have each other to keep company and don't seem to mind our being gone.

fanofdisney
09-16-2009, 07:14 PM
We board our dog which is on the pampered side too, just can't help but love her to bits:puppy: We have a great place by us that has play time, belly rub time/lap time, nap time. It is just so cute and really clean. I heard horror stories about dogs coming home from being boarded and never being the same but that isn't so everywhere. If you check around you can find some great places. I treated it as when I looked for my children's preschool, got references and checked it out thoroughly ahead of time. Just a thought in case it ever gets to be too hard on your father.

Live4WDW
09-16-2009, 09:29 PM
:mickey: Our last trip we took the doggies with us to WDW. They stayed at the kennel at AK and were boarded together. They get along quite well. We also went to see them numerous times during the day and night. Whatever time we wanted to, even during the overnight hours. They had a run next to the kennel, where we could take the babies out to, and let them run free (it was fenced in). Some of the disney characters had to walk along the fence line while either heading to meet with guest, or heading back from. They interacted quite well with the dogs and it was very cute, and funny. Brer bear really got mattie going, barking, running, and wagging her tail. Jenny just sort've stayed behind Mom. At the kennel the were very few dogs, so it was not at all loud and crazy in there. The kennel worker was telling us that they are going to build a great big kennel, facility with dog runs and everything in the future, and close the smaller kennels down. That of course is here say. Hope this helps.:puppy:

DisneyHoneymooners
09-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Our "boys" (two English Springer Spaniels) stay at home and my mother-in-law moves in to our house for a week while we are gone. I cry like crazy the day we leave because I'm afraid they'll be lonely, but they get lots of visitors and special treats while we're gone so they probably don"t even miss us. Boarding is not an option for us since one of our boys is a rescue dog and gets physically ill in strange environments for extended periods of time. I just couldn't do that to him-he's already been through so much.

MNNHFLTX
09-17-2009, 09:47 AM
We have always had a petsitter come in 3 times a day for our dogs and cats--they just seem to do better in their own environment. Trouble is that the wonderful petsitter that we've used for almost 4 years just moved out of the area, so now we have to find a new one. :( She (our former petsitter) did give us some recommendations for new ones and if the critters love them half as much as they did the old one, we will still be in good shape.

SurferStitch
09-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Our little girls stay with my parents while we are away. We have a Cairn Terrier (Genevieve) and a Lhasa Apso (Babette) that are 7 years old. They LOVE staying with my parents because they live in the country on many, many acres of land, so they can run leash free. Genevieve LOVES chasing the dozens of bunnies and squirrels that live there. That's why we go see my parents every weekend, too! My parents love taking care of them, and actually look forward to our vacations so they can puppy sit.

We also have two cats (11 years old - Cleopatra, a Ragdoll and Zoe, a dilute calico). They HATE traveling in a car, so they stay at home. Cats are very self sufficient, so my mom just goes to our house to reload the food containers and water, and to clean their litter boxes. They always have a huge bowl of dry food, and they get wet food when my mom shows up. They have enough water to swim in at all times! My mom is a fanatic about ALWAYS having enough food and water. She also sits with them for a while to give them some love and attention.

I only have 2 fish now (2 ryukins), so they are easy to take care of. They get an auto feeder.

I never worry about any of my girls while I'm gone. My parents are incredible sitters!

DizNee143
09-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Lucy our pockey beagle..goes to a womans house..
she just started out a few years ago doing the whole boarding and grooming thing..
my parents swear by her for there old english sheep dog..so we followed right along..
she was there last year for 12 days..i swear she didnt wanna leave when we came to get her..the woman herself has two dogs so she had friends to play with and a yard to run freely around in..since we live in a condo that rarely ever happens..
i know she is in good hands and she will actully be going there on monday since we leave for DW early in the morning on tuesday..
im gonna miss her like crazy but i know she'll have just as good of a vacation as me and her daddy will...:mickey:

ChipDale2708
09-17-2009, 01:45 PM
My two kittens, Bella and Sadie (they turn 1 this week :party:) will stay in their, I mean our house. Our neighbor has always come over to feed our animals. This will be the second time we have left them since we got them. They did okay in August, but this is for a few more nights. Sadie is very attached to me, and has grown even more so since August, so I'm hoping she's going to be okay. :(

debandbub
09-17-2009, 07:10 PM
We've got four special needs kitties ( a blind one, a deaf one with neurological problems that gives him a "bobble-head", a diabetic, and one that's just nuts:crazy:) We are usually able to find someone to stay at the house with them. Unfortunately, it is usually a college-age kid that we can use for a couple years until they move on to bigger and better things. We also occasionally rely on Mom and friends to come in and feed/medicate the kids, and have also found a good pet sitter who I know spends a lot of time with them and goes above and beyond to make sure they are cared for and happy.
I know they much prefer being in their own house while we're away. Hope you are able to come up with a good plan for your trip!

Disney4us2
09-17-2009, 08:45 PM
:thanks: all.

My father may be old but he is not frail. He still goes on his Laughlin (near Las Vegas) trips with the senior center. He is capable of taking care of Ginger:puppy:, just lacks some patience. Ginger can be quite stubborn at times.

I can't wait to take another trip.... just waiting for hearing on disability. In the meantime I just keep planning it.

:thanks:again:wave: