PDA

View Full Version : Early return flight and DME

IloveJack
09-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Our return flight departs at 8am. How early will we have to catch the bus for DME? I know it's typically 3 hours early, but do they really begin running that early? Our local airport doesn't open SW's lines until after 6am.

Strmchsr
09-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Yeah, it's really that early. DME pretty much runs 24 hours. So, expect your pickup time to be around 5 am. Actually, that time of morning you'll probably need it. Early morning is the absolute most crowded time for departing flights.

CanadianWDWFan
09-16-2009, 09:26 AM
It sure does run that early! We had an 8am flight back to Canada and since it is an international departure DME picks you up 4 hours before.

So we were out waiting for the bus at 4am. It sure was cold and lonley standing out there at that time.:D

TheRustyScupper
09-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Our return flight departs at 8am. How early will we have to catch the bus for DME?

1) Your DME bus or van will pick you up about 3-hrs ahead of time.
2) Based upon your resort, that can be roughly 4:40am-5:20am.
. . . do not be late
. . . DME runs on a schedule
. . . they do not wait for you
. . . they do not even have you name
. . . we have had to chase buses down at times for late guests
3) Each resort has a scheduled pickup time twice per hour.
4) The times are 1/2-hr apart and staggered for each resort - examples:
. . . 00:10 & 00:40 for resort "X"
. . . 00:15 & 00:45 for resort "y"
5) So, your time could be exactly 3-hrs from flight time or more/less.

glenpreece
09-16-2009, 10:23 PM
It sure does run that early! We had an 8am flight back to Canada and since it is an international departure DME picks you up 4 hours before.

So we were out waiting for the bus at 4am. It sure was cold and lonley standing out there at that time.:D

LOL I know the feeling i fly Westjet home most times and the flight is at 7am so I get picked up at 3am, why do I even bother paying for that nights stay???

jenperich
09-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Ohhh...thanks for asking this question!! To get the extra night in Disney, we're leaving at 8 the next morning as well, and I was wondering this same thing. :-)

CanadianWDWFan
09-17-2009, 09:28 AM
LOL I know the feeling i fly Westjet home most times and the flight is at 7am so I get picked up at 3am, why do I even bother paying for that nights stay???
This is one of the reasons why we have started flying from Buffalo. Plus the fact you can get airfare to Orlando for 1/3 the cost of a flight from Toronto. But I digress....

They have to pick up so early to allow for any delays in getting you back to the airport. Just think how mad you would get if you missed your flight.

Checkers
09-17-2009, 02:45 PM
:mickey:This has me concerned as well. We have an 8:00 am flight and I think DME will pick us up around 5:00 am and I just got to thinking that airline checkin at the hotel opens at 5:00 am. How is this handled, does anyone know? I really want to do resort checkin and not have to bother dragging luggage with me!

CleveRocks
09-17-2009, 04:24 PM
:mickey:This has me concerned as well. We have an 8:00 am flight and I think DME will pick us up around 5:00 am and I just got to thinking that airline checkin at the hotel opens at 5:00 am. How is this handled, does anyone know? I really want to do resort checkin and not have to bother dragging luggage with me!Unfortunately, you are not eligible to use Resort Airline Check-in. It has nothing to do with when the bus will pick you up, but rather there is a rule that the transaction must be completed in the computer by not less than 3 hours prior to your scheduled flight time.

RAC opens at 5 a.m., and since it's impossible for your transaction to be totally completed by before the computer clock strikes 5:01 a.m., you won't be able to use that service.

So, I'm sorry to bring the bad news, but you will have to bring your checked luggage to the DME bus with you.

CleveRocks
09-17-2009, 04:30 PM
3) Each resort has a scheduled pickup time twice per hour.
I want to clarify a point, however.

It's important for people to realize that the DME pick-ups scheduled at every 30 minutes is a POTENTIAL, not a definite.

If there are no reservations, then there will be no DME bus rolling through to do a pcik up at that 30 minute mark. DME buses aren't like Disney Transport buses ... Disney Transport buses stop at every stop, but DME buses only make the trip to that resort if someone has a DME bus assignment for that time frame.

The only reason I'm bothering to point this out is because I've read numerous people saying that they'll decide to wait 30 minutes for the next DME bus because they don't want to leave so early. In addition to there being other problems associated with this, the fact is that there might not be a "next bus" 30 minutes later for them to board.

glenpreece
09-17-2009, 11:35 PM
This is one of the reasons why we have started flying from Buffalo. Plus the fact you can get airfare to Orlando for 1/3 the cost of a flight from Toronto. But I digress....

They have to pick up so early to allow for any delays in getting you back to the airport. Just think how mad you would get if you missed your flight.

Yeah I try to fly out of BUF whenever I go with someone who drives, but on my solo trips it's YYZ for me lol. And yeah I get why it's so early but it still *****.

wolfhog
09-18-2009, 01:13 AM
I also booked an 8am return flight. WHAT was I thinking? Late night before then an early flight to go home - well at least we'll probably be too tired to cry until after we get home. At least there's plenty of time to check in - at 5:30am. Again WHAT WAS I THINKING!

TheRustyScupper
09-18-2009, 08:09 AM
It's important for people to realize that the DME pick-ups scheduled at every 30 minutes is a POTENTIAL, not a definite. If there are no reservations, then there will be no DME bus rolling through to do a pcik up at that 30 minute mark.

1) Excellent point.
2) I should have added that.
3) I have seen people miss the "next bus".
4) They ended up paying for a $60 taxi ride.
5) There is no WDW compensation when the guest goofs.

badkitty
09-19-2009, 02:30 AM
So I am just now realizing that my 5:30AM flight has me boarding DME at 2:30AM! What was I thinking? Guess a late night at the park and no sleep... too funny. I need to plan this better next time around.

CleveRocks
09-19-2009, 08:15 AM
So I am just now realizing that my 5:30AM flight has me boarding DME at 2:30AM! What was I thinking? Guess a late night at the park and no sleep... too funny. I need to plan this better next time around.Yeh, you really should have planned better. Bad kitty .... baaaaad kitty.:funny: