PDA

View Full Version : Poly Club Level TIpping Question

Jer Solo
09-15-2009, 06:32 PM
I am going to be staying at the Poly in Jan for 9 days and for the first time going Club Level. I have read that we will be able to get food and drinks in the lounge. Do we tip the CMs in the lounge? If we get a drink, like a beer or something do we tip the person getting it, or is it more self serve?
Can't wait for this magical experience.
J S

faline
09-15-2009, 06:33 PM
If it's like the Club at Wilderness Lodge, it's self-serve.

BrerGnat
09-15-2009, 09:26 PM
I've stayed concierge at a few Disney resorts, and I've never tipped anyone on the staff. I figure, the extra $$$ I am paying to stay concierge covers all that (the extra service and such).

I really hope I am not wrong here... :blush:

P.S. I've also NEVER asked the staff for any special requests, or had them do anything out of the ordinary for us. Perhaps then, or if the staff DID go out of their way and do something EXTRA special, or accomplished some DRAMATIC feat, would I think a tip would be in order.

Zone Stop
09-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Except for Bell Services, no Cast Members that assist you while staying in Club Level accomodations can accept tips. Clubs are pretty much self-serve, but some are really nice and will get you refills and such as they clean plates and cups from around the lounge.

TammiMcMan
09-16-2009, 04:10 PM
There's a whole procedure that the CM's need to go through on the club level if you try to tip them. It's definitely not expected and they'll initially refuse you if you do offer. If you insist, they can accept it, but they have to report it and I believe it goes into a central piggy bank and used for team things.

I've given gifts to pre-planners who I felt went above and beyond in helping me with some club stays. Beyond that, if someone does something unexpected or appreciated, the best thing to do is write it down and give it to management. They'll hopefully see a monetary award come review time.

Polynesian Dweller
09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
I've gotten to know some CMs quite well over the years and would love to give something extra to some favorites. Although they appreciated the gesture they explained that they can't accept gifts nor keep tips. Too bad because there are some outstanding folks there. I have written letters to Disney pointing out their great service and I know that has gotten back to them.

TammiMcMan
09-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Although they appreciated the gesture they explained that they can't accept gifts nor keep tips.I sent a chocolate gift basket that could be shared by all and I've also done personalized, engraved gifts (figuring they'd have to be allowed to keep them). I was just sure to include the names of everyone on the team.

Polynesian Dweller
09-16-2009, 10:47 PM
I sent a chocolate gift basket that could be shared by all and I've also done personalized, engraved gifts (figuring they'd have to be allowed to keep them). I was just sure to include the names of everyone on the team.

Really like the ideas and hope they worked!! Some of those people are just terrific, I can't say enough really. They remember us every year and go out of their way to come over and say hello and have a nice chat when they see us. They definitely deserve something if it can be worked out.

TheRustyScupper
09-17-2009, 08:00 AM
I've would love to give something extra to some favorites.

1) CM's can accept gifts up to $75.
2) Regardless of cost, they must report them.
3) If the item is engraved, no one will make them turn it it.
4) If unebgraved, they usually are allowed to keep it, but not always.
5) As TammiMcMan mentioned, baskets for the team are always allowed.

Polynesian Dweller
09-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Rusty, is that a change in the last couple of years? Or does it vary from resort to resort? There us one CM in particular (I hope she is still there) that my DW and I would like to do something for without getting them on trouble. About 5 years ago she and the others were saying they couldn't take gifts.

TheRustyScupper
09-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Rusty, is that a change in the last couple of years? Or does it vary from resort to resort? There us one CM in particular (I hope she is still there) that my DW and I would like to do something for without getting them on trouble. About 5 years ago she and the others were saying they couldn't take gifts.

1) Not new.
2) Some CM's are just more careful than others.
3) Or, don't know the work rules fully.
4) Gifts of low monetary value have always been allowed.

Polynesian Dweller
09-17-2009, 05:24 PM
1) Not new.
2) Some CM's are just more careful than others.
3) Or, don't know the work rules fully.
4) Gifts of low monetary value have always been allowed.

Thanks Rusty. Could have been the supervisor at the time too I guess. Good to get that clarified.

pixiesmimi
09-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Just curious about this and how much do you generally tip the Bell Hops? Is it so much a bag or what?

KevGuy
09-24-2009, 12:45 PM
I usually tip about $1 per bag to bell hops anywhere I go when I travel. At Disney when my family goes it is usually 4-5 bags we have so I just slip them a $5 bill.

pixiesmimi
09-25-2009, 11:40 AM
This is what I thought. We don't usually use bell service but did this time. We didn't really know what to give him but gave him $10 for about 5 or 6 bags. We were confused because bell services called our room and asked how many bags we had afterwards. We wondered from that if we hadn't given him enough and checked with them on the cost and they said it was just whatever we wanted to tip. So we were confused as to why the call. Just wanted to make sure we weren't committing a faux paux.

TheRustyScupper
09-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Just curious about this and how much do you generally tip the Bell Hops? Is it so much a bag or what?

1) It really all depends upon the circumstance.
2) Normal Bellmen
. . . $1 per bag
. . . $2 minimum (eg. there is only one bag)
. . . $2 per bag if over 10 bags
3) For SSR/OKW resorts midnight-to-6:00am
. . . $2 per bag
. . . $5 minimum
. . . $2+ per bag if over 10 bags
. . . these are Front Desk CM's, not Bellmen

javamama
09-29-2009, 05:54 PM
These past two years we've stayed in the Poly, and in '08 we had amazing service by a specific CM in the Tonga building so we tipped him extremely well on a daily basis, he went above and beyond every single day for us. Everytime we got drinks/cocktails in the Hawaii building we tipped the girls. As for the Bellman, we had a party of 6 that left at once with around 10 bags we tipped around 20 bucks I think. My dad works in a field that tipping is part of his salary/hourly wage so he is generous to people who rely on the same.

TammiMcMan
09-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Interesting situation with the lounge CM's javamama, as they're not supposed to accept tips (at least not without refusing a number of times first). After that, they're required to turn them in to management. If they're tempted to keep them, I believe they are subject to termination. Perhaps that policy has changed.

SurferStitch
09-29-2009, 09:11 PM
When we were upgraded to Sugar Loaf Club at the Grand Flo last year, I quickly scanned the internet (and Intercot, of course) to see about tipping concierge. We had a fabulous CM, Robert, who made our stay absolutely magical, going above and beyond EVERY day of our 13 day stay, and if allowed, we were going to give him a very nice tip.

I quickly found out that tips for concierge CM's is not allowed. I discreetly and cautiously also asked Robert about it, and he said his satisfaction comes from making his guests happy and satisfied. He told us he does his job for the love of it, not the money, and does not accept any gratuity, as is the rule for all concierge/club CM's at WDW.

We gave him a very nice pin with Walt and Mickey on it, and a card from the Grand Flo with a hand written note. He was so appreciative. We also gave a pin to Suzanne who supervised in the Sugar Loaf lounge, and she was so thrilled. She said it was the first time a guest had given her something, and couldn't wait to put it on.

I think a small, personal gift (note, pin, photo) will be greatly appreciated, and nobody gets in trouble.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-29-2009, 10:08 PM
We have always had some tremendously wonderful CM's at the BWI Innkeepers Club. We always take something special for everyone whom we have known for a long time and have become like family. They have to turn everything in to be "evaluated", and they let them know if they can keep them or not. (Atleast, that is what management told me.)
We have one dear friend that we always bring something back from our state that we know she will enjoy and use. We usually give gifts that are thoughtful and from the heart. They have always got to keep these.

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave: