PDA

View Full Version : Boma's or O'Hanas?

Gregandmel
09-15-2009, 02:36 PM
For those of you that have eaten both places, which do you think is better? I know that they are probably VERY VERY different from one another and it probably depends on personal preference. We will probably only do 1 big TS meal on our next trip for dinner and I can't decide between the 2. My family of 4 ate at O'Hanas last October and LOVED it! My parents are coming with us this time and they are excited to try it also. But we would love to try Boma's as well....so I can't decide if we want to take them to O'hanas (which was a highlight of our trip we loved it that much!) or try something different. Any thoughts on the two? Thanks!! :thumbsup:

darthmacho
09-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Wow! What a dilemma. I love the food and atmosphere of both. It's a tough call.

The good news is that is a no lose choice, because both are excellent. It is always the tough choice when returning to WDW whether to try new things or to go back to places that you know you love. There is a little risk in both. When trying something new, there is always the risk that it is not going to live up to expectations. When trying to relive past magic, there is a good chance that it won't be quite the same as the first time. If it was just your original party, I'd lean toward trying something new. Since you say your parents are looking forward to trying O'Hana's, I would defer to them if that is what they are excited about (probably after hearing how wonderful a time you had.) You could always present them with a choice of the two, and let them pick. Remember, you'll have a wonderful time at either, so you can't lose. :lei:

Good luck, and let ua know what you decide. :mickey:

SBETigg
09-15-2009, 03:35 PM
'Ohana. I love both, and you've already tried 'Ohana so I would normally say to try Boma this time. But your parents haven't tried 'Ohana and 'Ohana means family. :) It really is a warm, fun family experience. Boma is a great meal, but getting up and down for a buffet does take away from the together time a bit. And 'Ohana has more impressive atmosphere (in the actual restaurant-- the Animal Kingdom Lodge has great atmosphere, just not necessarily in Boma).

deedeebee
09-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Ohana:thumbsup: My whole family loves this place, all ages. We ate at Boma on last years trip, didn't love it.

GreenBeetle
09-15-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't have an opinion to offer here. Just want to mention that I'm enjoying the responses because both O'Hana's and Boma are on our list of hopeful ADRs in a few weeks for our January trip. We've never been to either one, so I'm really looking forward to both!

:fingers: We'll get the ADRs we want.

Sorry to piggyback an O'hana question, but are the shrimp served already peeled? I've read pick/peel and skewers - how is it served??

MistressGracey
09-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Unless you really love meat, I'd say Boma. Ohana is good, don't get me wrong...but Boma has much more selection and alot more non-meat items by far...

I really enjoy having lots of salads and fruits and sides with my meal, so Boma was right up my alley.

Ohana is more fun...

SBETigg
09-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Sorry to piggyback an O'hana question, but are the shrimp served already peeled? I've read pick/peel and skewers - how is it served??

On the menu, they're listed as a skewer item: Spicy Grilled Peel n Eat Shrimp. Not sure how that works out. I haven't had them since they were served in the bowl and the sauce made peeling them inconvenient.

GreenBeetle
09-15-2009, 08:18 PM
On the menu, they're listed as a skewer item: Spicy Grilled Peel n Eat Shrimp. Not sure how that works out. I haven't had them since they were served in the bowl and the sauce made peeling them inconvenient.

Hmmm . . . so we need someone who's been there recently to solve this mystery :confused:. (Not a red meat eater, so the shrimp and turkey are what I'm most interested in hearing about.)

Mickey'sGirl
09-15-2009, 08:26 PM
We ate at 'Ohana a couple of weeks ago, and the shrimp were skewered in their shells, so they had to be peeled prior to consuming them.

To the OP, while I love both restaurants (the bread pudding at 'Ohana really should be illegal it is so very good), I would choose Boma if I could only have one. The soups and salads and sides are all so flavourful, and I really love the selection at the carvery. No matter what you choose though, I am sure you will enjoy it!

ThanxForNoticin
09-15-2009, 10:28 PM
For us, Boma is favorite 1A and 'Ohana is favorite 1B - you can't go wrong. Based on your story, however, and how you have the chance to take your parents back to 'Ohana, I would go there. But keep Boma on your list for a future trip - it is outstanding. Have a great time!

ElenitaB
09-15-2009, 11:02 PM
What a nice quandry to be in. Both choices are worth a visit (and then another visit). I think the choice would be: do you want a buffet or do you want family style.

Let us know what you decide!

Gregandmel
09-16-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the responses. I know I can always count on my Intercot friends! :thumbsup: I think I'm leaning towards O'Hanas simply because ever since we got back last October, we spoke so highly of it and the Poly and my parents were just super excited to go there as well and try it. If the funds allow between now and the time I make our ADR's (I dont' want to make any phantom ADR's "just in case" - ha ha) then I will try to fit it Boma as well. I may just have to scrape up some extra $$ so we can do both! :thanks:

MNNHFLTX
09-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Unless you really love meat, I'd say Boma. Ohana is good, don't get me wrong...but Boma has much more selection and alot more non-meat items by far...

I really enjoy having lots of salads and fruits and sides with my meal, so Boma was right up my alley.My feelings exactly. Plus it might be fun to try out something different (and the CM's at Boma are some of the nicest people you will every meet!)

Ian
09-16-2009, 09:36 AM
I'd say Boma.

I gotta admit ... I am just completely baffled with all the love people profess for Ohana. I've eaten there three times now and all three times I've had a very, very sub-par meal.

The last time we were there half of our entrees were cold, the service was miserable, the atmosphere and experience was below expectations, and it was outrageously expensive for what we got.

And that was the best of the three meals I've had there! :ack:

I know that I'm in the distinct minority here, but I just don't get it ... I think Ohana is probably the single worst restaurant I've ever eaten at in WDW. I can definitively say now that I will never, ever go back there. Three strikes and you're out!

ThanxForNoticin
09-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I know that I'm in the distinct minority here, but I just don't get it ... I think Ohana is probably the single worst restaurant I've ever eaten at in WDW. I can definitively say now that I will never, ever go back there. Three strikes and you're out!

Unfortunately, sometimes that's just the way it seems to work out at some places. We have never had anything but an excellent meal with excellent service at 'OHana. I'm estimating we have eaten there 8-10 times, and our family will continue to insist we go back whenever we can. On the other hand, we'll never go back to Coral Reef because of our two very bad experiences there - I have friends who swear by Coral Reef and can't believe we won't go back!

The truth is there are so many wonderful places to try at WDW. If we end up with a bad experience at one, there are many out there trying to show us a good experience.

ERJDriver
09-17-2009, 03:48 PM
I'd go with Ohanas, since you've already eaten there you know what fun it is, and even more so with a big group IMHO.

frakers
09-18-2009, 11:27 AM
See, the previous post about having never had a good meal at O'Hana....I can equate that to Le Cellier. I read rave reviews from folks but, after having eaten there 4 times I have yet to enjoy a meal there. Since I hate to give up on a place too soon we did try 4 times.

That said, we love O'Hana and do it every trip. I was disappointed when they changed the menu a bit, including the starters and removing the house-cat sized shrimp but we still love it.
Boma was OK but it was really, really crowded and hard to walk between the tables. And, since it is buffet there was a lot of walking through tables. It seemed to us like the tables were stacked and you couldn't slide your chair very far away from the table without being in the person behind you's lap. You's lap? Does that work?
Anyway, didn't hate Boma but definitely LOVE O'Hana.

bkfree
09-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Boma for us, no contest.
We just loved everything at Boma and so did the kids. It is just such a unique place with food you cannot get anywhere else.

I could just live off the Hummus, the soups and the coconut rice alone.
My kids could not get enough of the very crispy chicken wings. When my son , who is autistic, really wanted some french fries, our waiter whisked off tothe kitchen and returned with a massive platter of freshly cooked fries for him. This is what the magic is all about.

We also loved the breakfast buffet at Boma also.
It is now a must do for each trip, O'Hana Not.

98'cpTyphoonGuard
09-21-2009, 01:09 PM
What a great post. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's comments. I am so happy that I have ADRs for both and don't have to choose between the two because they both sound GREAT!! :thumbsup: